Question on scalability of crafting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UnseenDragon, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

It's possible I'm missing something obvious, but doesn't the fact that materials are placed on the table and then crafted preclude two recopies having the same materials? For instance, only one item can take 4 boards and a carpentry hammer. I realize that by adding new materials/tools this quickly expands the number of items which can be made, but it still seems to limit the breadth of recipes.

It would seem that this would particularly limit recipies at the lower (novice) end where the number of recipes using 1 or 2 resources is limited.

Just a thought, again I might be missing something obvious.

Joe
    The Unseen Dragon

2. smack

smack Avatar

I think this is why they require precise quantities for each ingredient. Say a bucket requires 4 boards and rope. Perhaps a larger bucket requires 6 boards and 2 rope. Or, a barrel requires 12 boards and 4 rope.

3. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

But I'm correct in thinking that only one item can ever require 4 boards and a rope (a bucket)?

4. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

*And* whatever tool you are using. The tool is part of the recipe, making it unique.

I guess it is possible that another recipe may require exactly "4 boards and 1 rope", but in that circumstance it would be necessary to place a different tool on the crafting table to differentiate them. :)

5. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

Right, that's what I said in my first post, that they could expand by adding additional tools. Still seems oddly limiting.

6. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

I agree with the OP.

Maybe they could add tools or machines that create material types specific to the raw material used?

For example, you want to make a barrel.

Well, you'd need to warp the wood. So, you'd need both a jig and something with which to create steam.

The interface of this simple machine could look something like a grid. Fasteners would be placed at the intersecting points, to hold the wood steady.

Using five or six fasteners, the user places them so that they resemble a curve. The wood is placed in that curve, and it creates a rounded, warped plank -- exactly what you need to make a barrel or bucket. Or a rocking chair, a boat, a wheel, etc.

That's the most realistic game adaptation I can think of. Fine tuning will come if the idea takes off.

Sent from my EVA Unit-01 using Tapatalk

7. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

As smack noted : There is certainly nothing stating you need to use "4 boards and 1 rope". How about "4 boards and 2 rope" ? Or "5 boards and 1 rope" ?

Or a combination of three components rather than two ? "4 boards, 1 rope, and 1 metal bracing" makes a barrel for instance (just as example : as far as I am aware this is not a real recipe).

The basic recipe system appears to be quite robust in this regards. All that is lacking is considerable refinement in the interface.

Phredicon likes this.
  8. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

I may be raising a non-issue. As you note, at the higher 'levels' it may become a moot issue as the combinations become vast.
    However, at the 'low levels', where a person is starting out, they only have one or two things they can make with their one board.

9. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Good point. We have yet to see how skill level comes into play.

This issue may indeed have a larger relevance once that system is implemented. :)

10. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Component crafting would be a good way to address this.. It's something I hadn't considered before! Your post really has me thinking.

Specifically, about what alchemy's going to be like.. @_@!

jdrasin likes this.
  11. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Keep in mind that what we were given to work with in R2 was a very small number of recipes and resources than will actually be in the final game and we are still in Pre-Alpha and in the infancy of crafting. This was simply to test and make sure things are working and to find bugs so they can be fixed. :)

crossbowsoda likes this.
  12. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

Mystic, I'm aware of that, but I was speaking more to the approach being used, not the specifics of what we saw. Clearly they will add more components and recipes. However, I'm not sure that changes the fundamental issue which may constrain the approach.

Joe
    The Unseen Dragon

13. Curt

Curt Avatar

Smelting was intuitive with molds that you had to fill with the right amount of materials, while carpentry feelt clunky? if thats the word, wish was something simular to molds for carpenting.
    Patterns?

14. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

You are right that molds pretty much address the problem, but those are distinct to smelting.

15. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Carpentry? Patterns. Jigs. Fixtures. Splints. Etc.

Stuff I work with day-to-day. ;)

16. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I didn't really like the idea of molds...Especially since the same mold for my swordsword could make my longsword with a few more bars, didn't really make sense...I would prefer it just use receipes. Otherwise you will have thousands of molds to contend with...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.