Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Question regarding specks / what kinda system are the devs running

Discussion in 'Release 3 Feedback' started by scorn, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scorn

scorn Avatar

Hello Devs , my question is this im looking to upgrade my motherboard prossers and ram, on you systems whats lets you run this game smother, could you give me your suggestions on with motherboard prossers and ram would be the best to run this game ?

Your friend Scorn/ Dizmo Snow

2. jlpicard2

jlpicard2 Avatar

General recommendation:
    Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: February 2014 - At this particular time in game development, an Intel i3 would be sufficient, though a i5 is always a good idea.

8 Gigabytes of memory would be a good idea.

3. scorn

scorn Avatar

So no amd ? im just trying to get the game to run at max with out problems !

4. jlpicard2

jlpicard2 Avatar

Unfortunately, AMD has fallen behind Intel in recent years in performance per core. They know this and have tried to compensate by providing more slower performing cores. Fast cores, not more cores, will help the most with this particular game at this time. Some games are more heavily threaded, and so can benefit more from the many cores AMD can give you.

Having enough memory is important for your current system. I would say a minimum of 6GB at the current state of pre-alpha if you have 64 bit OS. That will improve later at the game is optimized.

5. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

8gig of ram is the optimum any more is a waste of money unless you are doing heavy video editing, I plan to get more ram at some point, I would go for a bare bones bundle, You can get a amd 8 core at cool price from Novatech in UK?

6. scorn

scorn Avatar

here's the system im running now Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz Memory: 8192MB RAM AMD Radeon HD 7950, keep in minde the ram is ddr2, got a intel ssd drive 120, my frame rate is 12 in the main town.

7. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

IMO, Intel all the way i7 2600 has fast FSB (1333 front side bus) 3.4 GHtz internal bus 8 cores, AsRock has good cheap MB find one that supports "duel channel" memory DDR3 (8GB or more), x64 bit OS (32 bit will only support 3.5 GB) memory speed should match CPU & MB FSB speed. No need to OC if you buy good parts to begin with.

Gaming is all about Video, I have an nVidia GTX 450 1G and it seems to do well, there are better cards (I like nVidia, EVGA is a good company, has a wide variety of cards).

Check out www.newegg.com or www.outpost.com once you decide what hardware you can afford.

Kirthag and Nhili Dragon like this.
  8. jlpicard2

jlpicard2 Avatar

Well, other than DarkStarr's recommendations, I would in addition disable antivirus while you play, or configure your antivirus not to scan the Portalarium folder and subfolders. Also, not sure if your framerate is in single player or multiplayer. With multiplayer, there are a whole range of network issues that can cause low framerate. Seriously consider buying a Intel CPU when you upgrade or get another computer. I used to buy AMD exclusively for years, but that time is past.
    Gaming CPU hierarchy

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  9. Root2

Root2 Avatar

I have a similar system and have had similar results.

My system:
    AMD Althon II x 4 @ 3.1Ghz
    12G 1600 Ram
    ATI 7950 OCed
    Win 7-64bit
    1920x1080
    Max game settings

In multiplayer I was getting 3-18fps, single player 8-20ish. I have a I7 4770k on its way and it will be ready for Phase 4 testing. I will let you know how much of a difference it makes. I have a feeling the older AMD CPUs are just not powerful enough to run this game with all the bells and whistles at this point of optimization.

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  10. scorn

scorn Avatar

Yea i been doing testing at good setting to fastest in the main town i get 8 2 12 fps , no madder what i tweak its remains the same in single player i do 12 to 18 but this is still meahh so might have to save up some cash and get a i5 or i7 need to know what the the best one for this is like to get around 40 to 60 fsp at max, that's why i was asking in here and what the dev,s are running cause im sure there not have low fps..

11. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Well there are def issues in MP, it didn't seem to matter who was running what and on what settings when you were in Owl's head with everyone in there...it was just laggy plain and simple.

Which I guess is good because this gives them good data to work with, I would think.

Out in the village life was definitely better for frame rates.

12. xlerated

xlerated Avatar

That i7 is going to blow your mind! Its most definitely your CPU holding you back. Thats nowhere near enough CPU for that video card.

13. Root2

Root2 Avatar

Ya, I originally had my CPU paired up with a HD6850 which was more closely balanced but I have been upgrading a piece here and there as I was able. Im just now getting around to the CPU/MB side of it. Next up, SSDs! lol

14. scorn

scorn Avatar

Ye so i heard mix ratting on the i7 and i5 thy sead the i5 is better for gaming is this so @?

15. jlpicard2

jlpicard2 Avatar

The i7 is a little better, but is personally not worth the extra expense over the i5 for desktops. Laptops have different criteria.

16. scorn

scorn Avatar

Thanks everyone for your info

17. scorn

scorn Avatar

So this is what i orded , Intel Core I5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core ,MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/S USB 3.0 ATX Pro Gaming,G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 X 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

i thank this should fix me up what do you guys thank

18. jlpicard2

jlpicard2 Avatar

That looks ideal to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.