Quests in Pre-Alpha Release 1?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Phalanxx, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phalanxx

Phalanxx Avatar

I played this for an hour or so, and only came across the Morgan/Myra quest (which didn't complete properly).

Anything else to actually do in Release 1, other than wander around the houses?

2. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I completed this quest too and the crook didn't pay me my 20 gold ... Fun to see the quests that are upcoming and the gold that can be earned...

3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The captain of the guard gave me a quest to kill bandits and get the badges to him. I really, REALLY hope that there are next to none of those generic MMORPG quests in the game. I had hoped that the quests would be more in line with the older Ultimas and not the sort of kill 20 bandits and get me their badges MMORPG-style.... This could kill the whole game for me, especially if those bandits respawn again and again...

Alexander, Subotai and Phalanxx like this.
  4. Phalanxx

Phalanxx Avatar

I agree! The only evidence of quests being either straight up fetch quests (the capitain of the guard) or a variation on a fetch quest (morgan/myra) makes me sad. I realize though, that this isn't even the alpha phase, so hopefully those are just placeholders. Hopefully the devs will see threads like this and realize that people really want Ultima, not just an Ultima skinned WoW.

5. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

6. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

He didn't say kills 20 bandits and come back. He said he is offering a bounty for everyone you kill, same with skeletons. This is a sensible way of doing things. It's not really a side quest so much as funnel for the loot system. Why would you be able to loot gold off of a skeleton? Skeletons don't have pockets. Bandits maybe (You know, assuming they are actually carrying it for some reason instead of stashing it somewhere like they normally would in case they get nicked) Ectoplasm on them as a result of the necromantic ritual that animates them? Sure you could probably get that off an undead skeleton (and it more accurately proves that is what it was then say, the left pinky finger bone, which would result in people robbing graves and chopping off strangers fingers). Turning that into a town guard or other bounty officer for the gold allows you to get loot for monsters you can't realistically loot. It can double as a training exercise quest, but as long as it's unlimited, optional and not some checklist thing to cross off as done... Now we are in business.

This also means they can regulate the gold flowing into the economy without having to edit the loot packages. If thousands are people are farming skeletons for gold and it's causing inflation they don't need to edit the skeletons loot drops, just have the bounty officer say "The numbers of skeletons have been dwindling lately, as they are no longer a threat I can only offer you half as much gold now". Heck they can even make this process dynamic and automatic and tie it into the monster spawn rates if they want.

Alayth likes this.
  7. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

People always want a variation from kill/collect quests, but is there really an alternative? Every MMO I have ever played this is the only way it has been done. Some like to spin PR nonsense about dynamic content but thats just papering over the fact that there is no way to create quests that aren't generic by randomising when/where those generic quests are available. GW2 tried, Rift tried, tera didn't even bother trying, think its time to move away from the delusion that anything will be done/can be done with the content of quests and focus on the quality and delivery of how you get quest, kill/collect, and return said quest.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

There weren't quests in the pre alpha... there were teasers so we could test conversation. And the teasers are for stories... not quests. Thanks!

p.s. if you don't want to go kill the 20 bandits... YOU DON'T HAVE TO! That's the glory of SotA :) Do what you want! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.