Quick question: day cycle time in RL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tahru, Aug 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

May be THIS is what we will find out at the end of Episode 5?
    That we are living in a - ... - world?

There are a lot of hints, like the watchers or the oracle herself, showing, there is a really technical aspect behind ...

We will see in a few years, when Episode 5 is released.
    Our Avatar will still be alive.
    And I hope we all will be too, to see the end of the whole story :)

2. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

We're in a world that exists solely in Richard's broken coma-inflicted brain. He lies near death after being in a 2013 car accident outside of Larry Ellison's Redwood Shores HQ, while he and Starr were on their way to a steampunk party after GDC in San Jose. Chris is really a volunteer from the local church who reads Richard stories and sings him songs, which Richard hears and interprets into world changing rules. We are using an experimental mind-travelling device devised by secret Silicon Valley techs to get into Richard's head and help him fix himself so he wakes up before it's too late.

Barugon, Rada Torment and Daigoji Gai like this.
  3. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Don't need one. Use the cosmos, the celestial bodies... that said, I would like me some sundials... Sundials casting shadows would rock (or a gimmick where you can take a stick and stick it in the ground to get a guestimation of time)

Quinn Zorich likes this.
  4. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

I think the biggest problem with this entire discussion about the passage of time, is the erroneous assumption that the effects of time are the same in New Britannia as it is on Earth.
    There are realms of physics that says, "Hold now, 1,000 years on Earth may only be .000005 seconds in another dimension"
    We're using our current understanding to explain the movement of time in New Britannia as common reference, but that is very problematic... Thankfully Science explains why,
    See:
    * Itzhak Bars's Two-Time Physics
    * F-Theory
    * The work of J. W. Dunne (e.g. An Experiment with Time - goes into depth about the multiple dimensions of time to explain general relativity)

5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I thought it was when a brick fell on his head. (successfully)

6. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Their car collided with a service truck. One of the last things he saw was an iron anvil.

7. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Some cool theories in this thread.

About cycles, it's too fast for my taste. I would prefer something like 3-5 hours a day in New Britannia.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Rufus D`Asperdi likes this.
  8. Vas Corp Por

Vas Corp Por Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Outislanders .. I mean Outlanders must indeed be subject to different biological rules... but the cycles would definitely mess with our REM sleep.. hence all the crankiness and general violence?

Elwyn and Daigoji Gai like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL

10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Me too... Even a 2-hour day would be preferable. It's been brought up before, but seems to be one of the things that isn't debatable.

11. Quinn Zorich

Quinn Zorich Avatar

Sorry for the noob question. Can you explain more about using the cosmos?

Daigoji Gai likes this.
  12. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

If you give me time, I'll follow up with illustrations on this board, but as a start.:
    1) Make note of the date underneath your compass. It isn't there for show.
    2) While it may seem boring, spend time looking up.... and not doing much else. You'll notice some astounding objects in the sky and they move...
    3) Part of the fun is starting to figure out how the things you can see in the sky, date (season, day, month year) correlates to the secrets of New Britannia (and I hope people don't outright spoil it with blatant guides, and if they do, hope devs throw in events that distort cycles - storyline plot twists)

I'll post some diagrams (( imgur screenshots)) here not before long. Some teasers to get you thinking and, *ahem* if you would like to know more, I am currently working on my first piece of scholarly research on the matter from the well validated, peer reviewed and vetted perspective of an ARCANE ARCHER.
    I warn you...if you encounter works from @Jarikith, avoid them at all costs. The bowmancer philosophy is that of delusional misguided heretics, unappreciative of the true arts of the arcane, cosmos and archery.
    I actually could use an um, test sub,er, partner? Yes, PARTNER to gain a better understanding of the gates for my research. You will be fully credited in the work and be well compensated in coin!
    Then there is the adventure of trying something new:

Quinn Zorich likes this.
  13. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Hmm...
    mmm.
    I buy it. *lowers weapon*
    [​IMG]

14. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Of course you are right but I still hope that at least sometimes a game is giving us some (at least vague) lore why something is as it is and I believe it is possible for something like this. I think my comment regarding the appearance of the avatars could be such a possibility. Maybe it is a side effect of our presents…e.g. as far as I remember the past avatars lived a normal live and passed away and maybe someone created a device that is powered by the avatars unnatural presents to extend human or humanlike lives. But at the time of completion there were no or nearly no avatars left on novia and so the influence of this device was minimal to nothing. But as thousands of avatars appeared on novia this device started its full functionality and as some kind of “self-sustaining sides effect” the device reincarnates our avatars to avoid our decease and a thereof resulting energy loss to keep going forever and ever.
    This is just a short idea but I think there are some more possibilities thinkable. ;)

I hope so too. :D

It is of course just my opinion but I think even if in different dimensions time and the laws of physics in general can be different these laws still have to be the same for everything in these dimensions. If the plants aging at a tearing pace this must be the same for all living being out of this dimension and the NPCs couldn’t be excluded. I do not think it is reasonable that laws of physics are just for one lifeform different in their own dimension.
    Just as an example it would be the same if we and just we humans would be naturally excluded from the influence of gravity. (Again this is of course just my opinion.)

15. Jarikith

Jarikith Avatar

Arcane Archers are mere imitations of the true masters of the Bow that are Bowmancers. Arcane Archers are mere dabblers who must rely upon magic to supplement their 'skill' with the Bow where as the Bowmancer embodies the purity of the Bow itself at it's highest order. We need no outside magic to elevate our use of the Bow. For we are the magic of the way of the Bow.

-Jarikith Rivinson
    -Legendary Bowlord
    -High Bowmancer of Bowmancery
    -CraftLab™ Chief Creationeer

16. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.