"lock downs"

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Solace Vale, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solace Vale

Solace Vale Avatar

Will there be a limit as to how many items may be placed inside of homes?

Will be determined by what type of deed you have or will it all be the same amount for all types?

Are we going to actually say, "I wish to lock this down" and "I wish to release this" sort of thing?

I'm also really happy that placement of items within the home will not subjected to "sockets" and we will be able
    to decorate it as freely as our imagination sees it.

2. Duke Ironman

Duke Ironman Avatar

They want to be as free as possible within the confines of the technology. They don't want sockets unless for technical reasons they have to. Keep in mind that everyone (even the Devs) want as much freedom as possible. The issues usually result from player hording.

3. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I think the whole "lockdown" part of UO was that the system just wasn't built for object ownership in the world. In SotA I believe it will simply be, You own the house, anything in it is yours unless you give rights to another player (to move, pickup, etc).

4. Solace Vale

Solace Vale Avatar

The reason for having to say "I wish to lock this down" was to prevent people that was to prevent people from just going to your house and picking up what ever they wanted to and take it away, or rearrange your house. All in all it was for security.

5. Rydel

Rydel Avatar

I think they've already said they aren't going to use sockets - you'll be able to freely place your stuff.

As for the lockdown thing, I think they'll be able to use newer, easier techniques to avoid people taking your stuff without permissions. It's likely that you'll be able to set who has access to do different types of things to your house, which will apply to the items inside it as well. This would also allow you to set it so that some people can rearrange your house while others can't

6. Solace Vale

Solace Vale Avatar

Actually have to "verbally" say "I wish to lock this down" also served as a visual aid to see was attempting
    to move/remove items in the house.

As how it was is UO, you would set your house security level with the names of people who had access to it
    and to what they could or could not do.

7. Sanctius

Sanctius Avatar

I do hope we can set different user levels to people accessing the house.

You could even share a house with somebody and let them have their own room and give all the rights to use everything in the house (with the limit of not able to remove the house itself to another location). This would be a great benefit for those who cannot afford a house in the beginning or pool your resources together with people you trust.

8. Solace Vale

Solace Vale Avatar

@Sanctius

I agree with you there on that one.

That's how it was in UO. You would friend people to your house and they could just stop by and drop stuff off by
    placing it in chests set about the house.

Say your friend is a tailor but hates to go out and gather the wool. You on the other hand find great joy in chasing
    sheep around the world for their wool. (running with scissors)

They love to mine for ore but don't like the time it takes to become a GM smithy and that just so happens to be your favorite hobby.

That chest now serves as a great trading place for materials and so on and so on.

9. Sanctius

Sanctius Avatar

Exactly. I used yo have my own chest (i think) "yay" in my guild house to stash my stuff when i was new to the game.

I remember it was very much lively when several people used the house in UO whether they come back with mountain of wool in their backpacks or just to get drunk at the kitchen table... and for crafting purposes it was awesome.

The devs have expressed that we may see guild run towns, forts and whatnot (which is cool!) but i think house sharing is even better way to interact with your close friends and more people will have a chance to get a place to stay.

As some people have addressed in other topics of their worries of ever expanding housing areas to spread people too thin, this way the pressure to increase the amount of housing spots would be less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.