Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R10 positive feedback thread!

Discussion in 'Release 10 Feedback' started by mike11, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I didn't get to play R10 all that much, and when I did I was mostly being critical of the "pre-alpha" designs. So since nobody else make a positive sounding thread yet...

Chat + Quest - I am glad to see with the execution of the "Tour Quest", we can see more clearly how the basics of questing is going to go. I am satisfied with where this is going for the moment.

New Home - another home I had never seen before (cedar??) looks stunning.

Vertas Pass - looks very good... I was actually happy at first to see that there was a Firelotus Tavern that I could seek out for protection from the beasties out side of it. It seems they changed those buildings now...

Ardoris - looks fantastic! nice size and layout..

Character options on Overworld - I had asked for these quite a bit!

"The Clink" seems to be arranged a bit better with improved doors and switches (???)

All the movement seems a little tighter and improved.

I know I missed a whole bunch of things but anyways at this rate the team is making good progress!

2. stile

stile Avatar

+1 for positive!

It may have a bit with me not getting in until saturday, but ive had no crashes. Running at max modes in 64 bit.

Love the map! Would like a little more mouse control as far as rotating it on all axis, but its coming along nicely!

3. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

+2 for positive.

-nice polish, all visuals look great
    -Love the snow
    -new wolf, rotti, and feather Tour hat look way cool (if these are "rare" items, I'm all for it. Can I hunt with a pair of rotti's, please)
    -challenge dungeon, I like it, spectator area for PvP, I like it
    -over world map is wonderful (would like to mouse move, maybe us arrow keys for scrolling)

It had a rocky start for dev+, lots of connection loss, and crashes, but after Fri patch seems pretty stable now, I'm off again to see more...

4. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

R10 is the first release I've played. Long-time UO player (since 1998).
    • Graphics are amazing, and I'm running at "fastest" speed. Might need to upgrade my PC to take full advantage, but with a 2-year-old PC without a great graphics card, was impressed and never had graphics lag issues.
    • Was very skeptical of the desk/card system, but LOVED it after I played around with it for a while. Combat was challenging and fun.
    • House decorating/customization options are superb compared to most other games and I'm sure will only expand over time.
    Will probably upgrade my pledge from Ancestor to Knight based on a couple of days' playtime.

Beautiful, and will only get better by adding content, fixing glitches, and populating the world.

mike11, Rampage202, Hazard and 6 others like this.
  5. Tizon

Tizon Avatar

I haven't played a release since R3 and I was blown away. Well not a first, I had a ton of crashes and loading screens. Then I changed my video to "fastest" it smoothed out all the stops.
    -Ardoris: I can not believe the size of this city and the amount of lots...VERY IMPRESSIVE!!! I hope to one day see this city and all of its lots full and brimming with actual players.
    -Brave Coast: I liked all the tucked away lots.

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The developers are very good, bright, and hard working people. I'm extremely impressed with their dedication to reading and acting on the feedback of this community. I've followed a lot of games and this is by far the best dev team I've ever seen.

R10 is a byproduct of that hard work. For all its faults, for the places it falls down, the one common ray of hope is that the right group of people are working on making it better.

7. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I was able to sink 8-10 hours into this release and had quite a bit of fun. Although I did see some areas for improvement. Overall, it is a positive feedback so this thread seems fitting. :)

R10 Tour Quest:
    • This is the first time I was compelled to visit several area - normally I found myself just playing with housing. I also enjoyed Verdas Pass and the snowy weather, and Ardoris (this is the first time I have visited it) looks fantastic!
    • I know there has been some negative feedback received about the unique reward associated with this quest, but I am all for having more release-based quests. I know, at least for me, it was an encouragement to explore more of the world. I look forward to participating in more of these quests for limited items. Without it, I would have been in the game much less - I'll let you decide if that is a positive or negative! ;)
    The Overland Map:
    • The map looks great! I love the live avatar running about, through the trees and over mountains.
    • Load speeds were greatly increased. Most of mine were under 10 seconds. The longest was probably Ardoris at around 40 seconds - which is still reasonable in my book.
    • I really like how the town names hover over the map. It's a very nice touch to the map.
      • To add to the mystery of exploration, I would suggest that the towns be hidden until you discover them either by stumbling upon them or by being told about them by an NPC.
      • To put this suggestion into a recent context: similar to Wasteland 2's town discovery.
    • I kept finding myself wanting to zoom out further to see more of the continent.
    • I prefer the old way of entering scenes. I know I will get used to whatever you create, but I prefer double clicking a scene to enter it.
    Housing:
    • The implementation of the purchase requirements for houses was a little frustrating at first because I really don't have the spare time to devote to building up a horde of gold to claim a village/town/city lot but...in the end, I'm glad you guys went that route - it forced me to try row houses and I'm glad I did.
    • Building and decorating a row house made me feel very drawn into the community I was in. Plus, they actually have more room in them what I originally thought.
    • Decorating one of these row houses still took a lot of time and I only partially decorated the first floor.
    • I found I could not place items in some areas of the Blue Roof 2-Story Row House
      • Window Sills
      • Fireplace Hearth
      • Must be about 1 foot back from the interior front wall
      • Nothing could be placed outside the house
    • For future releases it was mentioned that you may tie houses to pledge tiers. I think this is generally a great idea since there are a number of people who have said (through pledging) they don't want to grind gold to claim a plot. However, I think that this might also turn people away from the game if the number of plots is too restricted for testing (like before player towns came online) and people start to think that is really the way it will be once you go live.
      • My suggestion would be, if you are going to tie housing rewards in at some point, be sure to have enough extra plots at each size so people without pledge deeds can keep testing housing and not be worried that there is going to be a shortage.
    Crafting:
    • Gathering resources, I found many resources that could not be gathered because their harvest points were blocked by an object (crystal couldn't be harvested because of cave walls, deer couldn't be harvested because they died too close to a tree, etc).
    • Recipe book highlighting was great, although in my opinion it could have used a little more contrast for the greyed-out components.
    Combat
    • I must be doing something wrong because I'm getting killed by spiders and slimes. Not hordes of them, but one or two of them.
    • I also found myself running after everything for the final killing blow. It was really quite frustrating as I was only using a sword and no ranged weapons.
    • I love the tab targeting!

TL;DR:
    Over all, I would say it is very evident that the team spent a lot of time polishing this release. Sure, there is still room for improvement but there were marked improvements all around with this milestone. Thanks team!

8. Zoucrew

Zoucrew Avatar

The housing system is excellent and the environment is fantastic for PvP.

The game appears to be coming along...swimmingly.

9. Ome

Ome Avatar

Loved the new overworld map. Love the art direction of the game. Loved the polish.
    Really enjoy the combat system. It has so many possibility's. Love mixing locked slots and deck.

The abundance of buildings and items that can be placed in them with ease is impressive.
    Love the proportion of everything. Its so cool to see realistic proportions in a renaissance setting.
    Love the crown. Everywhere you walk is like walking through a museum. Great works of art and
    a sense of historical accuracy in many things.

Great work on the radio thingy to those who made it and
    so glad it was put into the game. I was walking down the beach and ran into a radio and next thing I'm
    listening to story telling, how cool. And the variety of programs on Avatars radio is great.
    Especially enjoy when the renaissance like songs come on.

Every release I get more excited because I have a feeling where this game is going. What has been done
    in 1 year is impressive and promising. Usually good games take 5 years and the best games take 10.
    That being said I think many will be surprised at how massive and improved this game is a few years
    down the road.

My biggest hope is for diversity amongst crafters. So, at the very least, crafters can have
    unique stat rewards by way of experimentation. And rare resources that don't always spawn in the same place
    but random places like in Star Wars Galaxies. So that certain crafters or guilds can get a hold on a rare resource
    until next time its found. All of which adding diversity amongst crafters and what they produce.

Great work Portalarium! I hope you stick to your vision and avoid any pressure to make this
    game typical. Breaking the mold is a tough and unwavering road.

Onward and upward

10. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

Deck system rocks. Good work sticking to your guns.

11. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Here's a video of me having some fun on the overworld..

Showing a bit of how I think the Avatar jumping looks silly. :)

caravaggiosWolf (Dev) likes this.
  12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

13. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Some other mentions post-r10..

-Ability stacking (and also combos)

- PvP arena - i didnt know what to expect, the result is not too bad for just getting started

- Challenge Dungeon - very simplistic but hopefully this thought can expand VIA crowd sourcing methods, later

- ability trees - getting WAY better now and now it is possible to think about new ways to use them to make combat better

- Oh and the auto-resizing Windows!

I could drag the window to either of my monitors and the size auto adjusted perfectly. Fantastic!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.