Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R2 Likes/Dislikes

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Beaumaris, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Fun to see more progress on the game, thanks! Here were some impressions I had on release 2:

- MAC client. Many thanks for this. It ran great on OSX Maverick for me at max resolution.

- Towns - Towns are feeling good. I like Kingsport and its waterfront theme. Cool images, cool sounds. Build on that please! I like the unique feel and flow of the different towns. I like how it appears that terrain is used to make decisions about town layout. I worry a bit that the randomness of player housing in towns could make a town lose its distinct feel, so having very distinct features and layouts for base plan are important.

- Town Features - I really like the direction this is headed with the Tesla power and windmills, etc. These are cool features that are giving the world a different feel. Keep it up! Wells - I notice these and think they are cool, wishing there was more. I would like to see more things like channeled water, mills and functioning water wheels, different types of farms (chickens, pigs, sheep, etc) so they are not all generic, more lore features like statues or landmarks particular to the history of the town, etc.

- Player Housing - I love the new textures on buildings like the knights house. This has really come along nicely. The player housing is looking more impressive overall in this build. It was more inspiring.Thanks! Really liking where this is heading with the number of items and huge customization potential. I didn't find any bugs with item placement this time around.

- Character models and flow - For early pre-Alpha, I thought that the character models are feeling good and the flow of their movement is feeling pretty good. This bodes well. I struggle with games that have dorky running.

- Animals - I like the animals walking through town. Chickens, sheep...they make the town feel more alive.

- Wandering NPCs - I really appreciate seeing wandering NPCs that move around. Especially when they talk. It brings the towns to life a bit more. I think this is a huge item for bringing the game work to life and hope it is continued. Dump stagnant NPCs who never have nothing to say kill immersion, IMHO.

- Inventory: I liked the option to be able to swap between bag view and list view. I don't think it is about immersion, i think it is about choice. Some nights i may not have tons of time to move inventory items around to see what is in my bag - on nights like that, even the best bag in the world would not be immersive, it would be frustrating. On days i have plenty of time, i love the bag. Choice is what is needed for fun.

- Crafting: I like the ideas, need more time to really get the feel for the implementation and if it remains fun vs. repetitive.

Dislikes:

- Town buildings (Non Player owned) - While maybe realistic, these often feel too cramped to me, dunno. Maybe its a village thing and buildings in larger towns and cities will have a little more elbow room? As is, I would not want to spend much of my time in too many non-player town buildings i have been in. They just don't feel that inviting of places to hang out and role play due to the sizing.

- Equiping: Sometimes the difference between the location of the pointer and the location of the image you are dragging to equip is annoyingly different. I always had to remind myself to drag and drop based on the pointer and not the image of the item i was dragging. Maybe making drag and drop a little less precise?

- Jumping: The jumping implementation was not intuitive to me, jumping after releasing the space bar. I like the idea of different jump heights and powering up for it, but wonder if it is really needed vs. a potential frustration mechanic when trying to just jump over the basic small things which is 99% of my jumping.

- Chat interface: I notice that my chat interface does not stay up on the screen. But for some reason I am trained to look there to see what is going on in the ambient world around me, especially if i don't directly see overhead chat bubbles from NPCs. I wished that the chat log would stay up. I also struggle having to hit enter while my mouse is in the chat box before i can type. I screw it up almost every time.

- NPC dialg: I really like the adventure game concept of talking to NPCs in the chat editor and then getting responses back to lead me along. But sometimes when i see the key words they are telling me i would rather use my mouse to click on those key words than type them. The interaction with the NPC is what is immersive, not the typing vs. mouse use mechanic.

prospereau likes this.
  2. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

Nice post Beaumaris.

I agree on the points with the bag view and list view. You have to have the option. Figuring out what's in your bags at the moment isn't too hard but then there are only a handful of items. Just imagine how confusing it's going to be for a newbie when he or she can potentially have 30 or 40 items in their bag to start with. Personally I don't particularly like bag view, I find it cumbersome and un-intuitive and this is one bit of immersion I can live without, but I do get that some people like it. Personally I like to be able to see what I need at a glance without having to search for it.

Someone made the point in an earlier post that having list view breaks thievery but I don't think this is true. Just because you see a list view doesn't mean that the person trying to steal from you has to see the same view.

I also like the NPCs but I think for them to be really a part of the immersion you need to be able to find things out from them. I like the idea of having lore and mission generators that can randomly associate themselves with NPCs based on the NPC type...this gives your NPCs real meaning, you never know what you're going to find. Just imagine that you have half a dozen NPC types (Soldier, Old Man, Child, Washer Woman, Rascal, Woodcutter, etc.) and based on the type they get assigned a piece of lore that they can give you or not...it's random and it is only given once by that NPC...the same could work with randomly generated missions. It means any NPC can suddenly become an integral part of your play experience and they're all worth talking to...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.