R29 targeting system: very bad

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elwe Thor, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I agree with this. I like the new system for melee a lot. But working on an entry level ranger, I found it pretty confusing which target I was actually hitting when two or three mobs jump me. Maybe this is ok for a sword or pole arms person whose weapon hits multiple targets at a time. But that is not the case for bows that only hit one target at a time.

Seems to me one part of a solution could be to show the health stat graphics over the heads of all targets being hit. Not just one. But as someone pointed out in another thread, this still doesn't solve what one has to do to adjust direction of attack to get the arc just right to hit a selected target in a pack. Some type of hybrid approach providing the best of both worlds would be interesting to see.

2. Gix

Gix Avatar

I talked about magical arrows because that's the side effect of the old combat system where you can target and shoot at anything you want with total disregard of where you are in relation to your target.

If your targets are aligned vertically, you need to aim "up" to whoever you want to attack. If it targets anyone else, then that's a bug; not a design issue. Either that or I don't understand the kind of scenario you're trying to picture.

The reticle has priority over the "path" and range.

In my mind, having a giant omni-present cursor is as much of an "immersion-breaking" as the reticle... so that's a matter of personal preference. I'd personally make subtle changes in its design and how the opacity slider works. The first 10% of the slider makes it pretty much invisible, beyond that it's too opaque for my tastes.

I'm okay with the TAB key but not being able to rebind it is stupid. As for options, so long as one doesn't give an advantage over the other, I'm all for it.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  3. Elwe Thor

Elwe Thor Avatar

As I stated here, it's mostly not so see which system is better, as both are good for a definite scenario: the traditional one was (most of the times) better for ranged fighters, while the new one is mostly better for melee ones.
    Instead of complaining about the new system, to trying having the old one back, why don't we ask devs to have both available?

I'm absolutely sure I'll benefit from the new system, when things get closer (I can see it right now, doing close quarter combat), but now I'm feeling the lack of the old one, when I've to target far enemies: as I don't use an hammer to dig in the garden, and I don't use an hoe to hang a picture on the wall, I use both tools to do what they're made for, so I need both ones.

Lord Barugon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.