Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Random encounter boost and forced while crossing "passes"

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by StrangerDiamond, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I would also like to see "hidden" control points that can only be taken by random encounters, hidden dungeons, traps, puzzles.

We were promised much more in PVP mode, like having to defend a merchant convoy from evil bandits at the crossroads... etc...

Nothing should be forced, yet the reward should be enticing enough to encourage to explore every scene.

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

um.. what? YOU'RE confused?

Where the hell did THIS come from????? If I have to explain exactly how wrong this is then there's no point in even trying.

By low priority I mean it not something they have to do during pre-alpha. I DID say twice already it probably would be done did I not? How then do you arrive at the implication that low priority means not EVER making them fun? They're two separate issues.

"I don't like random encounters" is an opinion.. but it also one I never expressed or implied. Do *I* need to quote myself for you?

Don't lawyer me? Huh?? Where did I even imply such an idea?

YOU asked for opinions.. I gave mine. You don't like my opinion and so I'm derailing your thread? Is that what is going on in your head? If anyone is derailing the thread it's you accusing me of saying things I never said or implied such I feel compelled to respond to.

So you think my posts have "underlying garbage" do you? All you're telling me here is that for some reason you're somehow superimposing your opinions over what I'm saying. I can't think of any other way you're coming up with this stuff. Do us both a favor. Quit reading between the lines.

3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

It's alright... thats what forums are for no need to get on your high horse...

Of course I'm confused... why do you feel the NEED to repeat in every thread what is a priority, especially in feedback thread ?

And I said please discuss, while staying on topic. Saying you want to come out in the "right" direction, which is by the way completely arbitrary, is the only thing you said that is remotely on topic.

You aren't speaking for the devs and if they want to cut my little feedback thread they can do so anytime.

4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Let me be clearer : this thread is about making a few places in the world more prone to harder encounters.

Simple enough ?

All you say is : "its fine how it is, cause its pre alpha and somehow I speak for the devs on what can and cannot be done"

In the past two days I've had 3 feedback requests INSTANTLY put into the game which greatly enhanced my fun as I'm helping to test this game.

+1 portalarium -2 Bowen...

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

So are we not allowed a little harmless commentary? Whether everything was on topic or not (which it was since it was specifically about the idea) is perhaps a matter of opinion but we're probably never going to agree there so moving on.

No, I'm not speaking for the devs. Wasn't trying to. Never have. There you go again putting words in my mouth. Please stop doing that.

Lastly.. good for you on your feedback and no that isn't meant to be sarcastic so please don't even think it.

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Devs have already said the Pass areas will have to be controlled in order to be passed through safely. It just hasn't been implimented yet.

Moonshadow, Budner and Miracle Dragon like this.
  7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Of course not, I don't think you're trying to be rude, it just comes off as such, because I've read an awful lot of "its pre alpha" underlying garbage from you lately.

So what its pre-alpha, and it can still be fun and maybe one of the dev would have fun in changing the encounters with that in mind.

8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thanks EMP... I knew something had to be planned like that.

I'm just saying we should discuss what we consider fun within those mechanics that were stated.

To me lots of places should have a higher difficulty to make sure I have a harder time getting to some places, making exploration last longer and feel more realistic.

For others its annoying, so they should discuss about their logic.

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Yeah.. it is pre-alpha. Which is something people should try to keep in perspective. Not such to discourage feedback but in terms of their expectations in regards when things will likely happen.

Honestly what I would really hate to see happen is some new person come in.. get all excited with a great idea.. and then only to feel let down when 'well that's a great idea but we can't get to it on the schedule for X, Y or Z' or some other reason.

Even if the idea is easy to implement.. there's schedules and who's going to do it and honestly how many people think about that? Yeah I've been saying 'pre-alpha' a lot.. but I don't think it's garbage. It's just a reminder we should be patient. The time for implementing good ideas will come.

Now I think this idea will come in alpha and probably be tweaked though part of beta. I suppose the question to discuss would be.. how?

More than just simply scaling difficult for level or region.. what else can they do? Back in kickstarter days they talked about roving encounters on the map that were more than combat. You might come across a gypsy caravan that needs help or something of that nature.

I've always been fond of the idea of being able to see and raid merchant caravans traveling between cities. :) (Not that *I* would EVER do that.. )..

I would like to see more than just "you are attacked by"..

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I personally don't think encounters should scale universally. (Not saying anyone is suggesting that exactly but some folks might assume so I want to clarify the point). As annoying as it is to be attacked by grey wolves at level 40+, the wolves don't know how tough you are so they wouldn't be smart enough to avoid you.. Rather I think each region should have a range of difficulty with odds based on the area.

Example: Take a "low" level or easy area.. may have a range of encounters where the odds of a low level encounter would be much higher.. but a high level encounter while slim.. is still possible. For tougher areas those odds would be more or less reversed.

11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yea which is exactly why I'm brigning it up again ! So the devs know what we would like to see here.

I've had plenty of good ideas that if not implemented at first are totally worthless, been there done that... I've obviously moved on cause now I'm talking about things I feel are easy changes and nowhere I'm asking for this to be put on high priority, nor did I fill a "bug" report and clutter other forums about it.

The nature of feedback is, you feed me I feed you back. Well you give me this, I say it should be better this way, and forums are used so everyone's opinion is pitted against each other. The devs decide what is a priority and what is not.

I appreciate where you're coming from but you should discriminate on whom you are adressing your "its pre-alpha" comments. It comes off as rude to the devs, and rude to the people who attempt to stay on topic.

You see even right here in this short thread, many of the other ideas I brought up went completely ignored, why ? Because they're bad ideas ? no... because comments like yours (not you personally) discourage competitive feedback, which is the definition of forums.

Do you see how ? I hope you do, cause I think its important to respect everyone's opinions...

Hidden stealth paths a player must find ? Items or skills that lower random encounters ?

I've walked all across novia and had 2 encounters... on the whole map ? I've explored every scene, every corner of this big continent, in two days... how is that supposed to be realistic in any way ?

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thank you, so you agree with me, no hand holding there. This is exactly what I've stated previously :)

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well let's just move on shall we..

14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I just noticed you have 7000 thousand freakin posts... are we gonna have a 10k likes party or what ?!

15. Womby

Womby Avatar

That isn't helpful.

Moonshadow likes this.
  16. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Any excuse for a party is a good one ......

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The current random encounters are placeholders and they have more detailed/elaborate ones planned. an example of some of these varying encounters is in place already with the Fierig battle camp and kobold war camp. both are random encounters that have a story behind them, one is less hostile, the other is potentially deadly territory

There will also be rare random/roving encoutners liek a Dragon appearing over a forest or soemthing.

18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

That will be amazing... I am interested in the more subtle mechanics that allow you to impress your friends, like hey I found a stealth path to get to shardfall, follow me. I've been participating in the discussion back a year or so about those "super encounters".

I'm just trying to get people to say formally what they consider fun, and especially if they're open to actually having to make an effort to remember those things, and if it could be fun to them.

Sometimes, a very tense stealth adventure is as fun as a full on I level the battle field type :p Well to me at least it would be an amazing option when my friends aren't available to help me get to someplace.

It's all about encouraging exploration and making sure noone visits the whole map in 2 days.

I would also like to see people in a random encounter be put in the scene around a certain radius, so that you don't necessarly spawn next to your level 100 friend who is trying to get you to his favorite grinding spot. I would like to see skills or innates that allow for no surprise from an ambush to counterbalance that.

People could spend points so their group travels very tightly and thus reduces the chances of being "surprised" and spread away from each other in the scene (rp-wise ; you were surprised and mr. level 5 started to run in fear, assuming you are in a high level zone). Only great leaders would invest points in that so it would make sense.

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You'll have to ask Drocis about that one.. he's already over 10k likes blast him! (j/k but he is over 10k) :) He's almost caught up with me on posts too.. almost. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.