Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Random Encounters: Off the Beaten Path or SP Modes Only?

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by Stanwood, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stanwood

Stanwood Avatar

I enjoy the classic RPG elements that have been invoked in Shroud of the Avatar. I really do. Unfortunately, I feel that certain additions that would work great in a solo game are only frustrating asides while playing the social modes.

The random encounters are my biggest source of frustration. I understand the system is an early iteration, but I've already been sidelined enough with the prototype to assume I won't like any version. One example was when I was to meet someone in Owl's Head, but hit a couple random encounters. The first landed me in a forest, which surrounded me by venomous spiders that quickly dispatched my low-skilled warrior. I didn't have a chance. The second tossed me into the middle of a field with no "encounters" to be found. The random encounter only served to double my journey time for no apparent gain.

I enjoyed the travel in other games because I could easily avoid trouble when I wasn't looking for it. I suggest those who are in a hurry should be allowed to follow the roads. It shouldn't be entirely without risk. The random encounters would be severely knocked down while on heavily traveled paths. Perhaps the encounter % could be governed by event triggers like the different scenes. The less traveled the road, the higher the chance of brigands or other baddies inhabiting it.

That being said, I'm having a great time with this release. Thanks!

Budner likes this.
  2. Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter Avatar

I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it already is - there aren't many random encounters at all on the roads, but the other terrain that slows you down also increases the frequency.

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think it is just buggy at the moment and isn't working quite as planned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.