Rare Items

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Lukashka the Necromancer, Jun 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukashka the Necromancer

Lukashka the Necromancer Avatar

I wanted to petition for something I loved in UO that I don't see in other games- I know, everybody is sick of hearing that line by now.

Remember camping rare items? Setting your alarm for 1am so you could wake up and nab that silly fruit basket or whatever? That was actually a lot of fun, and an alternate to the kill/loot system. There were items that went for insane amounts of gold, and even actual $.

I'd love to see something like that again, maybe not identical but with the same feel.
    There's a similar thread here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=ultimate-collector

2. Seneth

Seneth Avatar

I love the idea of rare items, but I think they should spawn with a lot more randomness. Rather than just having them all appear at midnight one day of the week in known spots, they should appear in random places at random times. Say that every instance created has a 1/1000 chance of spawning a rare item somewhere. Maybe limit this to the first ten created in a day for each player to prevent scumming. Make them something you can stumble on as a reward for exploring rather than something you camp.

Lukashka likes this.
  3. Lukashka the Necromancer

I like the idea of having them as a reward for exploring. The fun part of them, at least for me, was that they were a part of the ingame world that was normally inaccessible- but for a short window you could possess a part of that world.

It was, ultimately, the interactivity that appealed.

4. Lukashka the Necromancer

I could see that working. Perhaps say exploring certain areas, like a liche's tomb, you might find something normally not lootable like an empty phylactery- essentially a trophy item you could display on your home in cases or shelves.

In UO some people converted their houses into rare museums, it was pretty neat.

Personally I didn't mind the time window to get these items- people that didn't like it just didn't do it, in the end this is what made many such items "rare".

5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I fully expect there to be rare items to collect.

Lukashka likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.