Realism and Big Enemies

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by AndiZ275, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

Greetings everyone,
    I have a question to the Portalarium team (maybe for the next hangout) about big enemies (boss monsters, dragons, giants, trolls, all monsters 2x weight and muscle strength of a human being).
    Will there be some kind of realism in regard of the weight and power of those enemies?

As an example: In many MMOs, you can even kill the biggest giant when you outlevel him and there is no influence from weight and muscle power at all.
    Other more solo player centered RPGs like Dark Souls are a bit more realistic. When an enemy is big, his power is great too and he can smash uncareful players with one hit.
    So, my question: which way will Shroud of the Avatar go?

I know off course, that the more realistic kind of way calls for dodging/evading abilities and a system, where you have to watch your position, so you don't get smashed by the big ones. This can make lots of design problems, especially in online games. And I know, that a computer game will never be ultra realistic.

But I never liked it in MMOs, when I was able to kill enemies 20x as big as me, just standing in front of them and batting them to death. So at least some kind of realism would be highly appreciated from my side.

Cheers,
    Andreas

2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Simple fix. Don't have "level" matter.

You can see good examples in Guildwars2 fighting trolls. If you are very, very tanky, you can take a hit or so...because you can block, parry, interrupt. Everyone else basically will have to slow, kite, dodge. Facetanking will get you killed fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.