Recap From SotaCon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Oct 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

Is it meant to? Not likely. Does everything have to be about bringing in loads of extra players? No.

Sometimes it is wise to do new things for the players you have, especially if already existing resources can ease the process. Taxidermy is a good fit in a game with a strong housing element in which confrontation with animals and more exotic beasts plays a strong role, along with a popularity of fishing mentioned above. With much of the work already done it is essentially low-hanging fruit easily plucked, and thus providing little foundation for complaint.

Synergy Blaize and Curse2 like this.
  2. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

I had assumed it would be applied to animals and other creatures we slew, or fish that we caught, as it traditional for taxidermy. If it is to simply preserve pets due to placement restriction, it would be better to allow more to be placed alive.

3. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

Yes, so long as it largely stays this game.

I don't care, so long as it remains viable to operate and develop.

Yes, over time. Niche titles are niche. It won't grow swiftly without mass appeal, which requires providing appeal to the masses, which requires abandoning the niche appeal on which the game was founded. So, it's this slowly, or something akin to the mainstream quickly. Quite frankly, I can get better mainstream numerous places.

Compared to which games? Those with millions of customers and the revenue they provide to work with, or similarly niche titles with the smaller player base that comes along with. In comparison to the former, not so much. To the latter, more so. I'm hoping for further performance increase.

As for the sale to Catnip, worry would not change it, nor the resignations. It was unexpected by myself and a bit annoying, but I'm not certain it will have a devastating effect if those that resigned hang about in some public manner so that an association with them can still be made, even at a fellow player level.

I plan to stay as long as I enjoy it, which may be beyond server closure if it occurs. One of the reasons I bought the game is that offline play can continue regardless, so that mitigated the risk of potential failure.

The game has become somewhat trapped between a rock and a hard place. It was presented as having old school sensibilities to initial supporters. Over time some of these elements were modified to appeal more to the mainstream in the hope of increasing population. Many of the initial supporters, some having made substantial investment, were displeased with changes contrary to what they were attracted to, and many of the new players arriving have been seeking changes that further remove the game from the initial premise. Many of the early adopters that have departed are making their feelings known elsewhere, which I'm sure isn't helpful in recruitment efforts.

The situation is one difficult to resolve. Any change made to appeal to one group will displease the other and there is no guarantee the players pleased will outweigh those vexed, or those gained outweigh those lost. Still, for long-term viability, a choice strongly favouring one group over the other may have to be made, so that they can appeal strongly to some rather than moderately to all so they have a sturdy foundation on which to build.

slandrew likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.