redesign of cooking

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Lars vonDrachental, Sep 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Well as my first try to post this idea...created an error and disappeared I try it again. :D
    I was thinking about a possibility to make cooking more useful and these are my thoughts about a possible redesign of the cooking mechanic.

Lvl 1 skills
    Recipes that depend on these skills normally just utilize one or two resources to create a product.
    Possible skills could be:

roast-skill
    Basically you take some fire and a probably edible item and you are roasting the item. Depending on your skill there are chances to instead create some coal and yes I mean that literally as a (critical) failure may create coal instead of an edible meal. ;)

uncooked vegetarian food-skill
    You are cutting fruits into bite sized parts. Mostly used to create salads but also to prepare food as an interim stage for higher level skills.
    Failures may create compost as some kind of base resource to create fertilizer but of course this should not be the best possibility to create compost.

level 2 skills
    Recipes that depend on these skills utilize a sizeable number of resources to create a product.

backing-skill
    Usage of e.g. a backing oven to create bread or a stuffed turkey.

suchi-skill
    Well...you know...raw meat in combination with e.g. Rice.

level 3 skills
    Recipes that depend on these skills utilize a large number of resources to create a product.

meal-skill
    E.g. you take a schnitzel (lvl 1 roast), a salad (lvl 1 uncooked vegetarian food) and some baked potatoes (lvl 2 backing) to create a meal.

soup-skill
    E.g. you take meat cubes (lvl 2 sushi), a salad (lvl 1 uncooked vegetarian food) and a bread (lvl 2 backing) to create a soup.

###############################################################

Generally the classification of food would be like this:
    unprocessed
    If any just a minor buff for not more than 10 minutes but I would suggest that unprocessed food is more used as some low level field medicine. Eating a carrot and blindness might fading, eating unprocessed meat and you are healing while eating, eating mandrake might stop bleeding,...

level 1 cooking
    I would suggest that these products offer a low buff with fixed values for 2 h.
    E.g. eating a roasted gigot will give you +1 hp per second and generally +50 hp.

level 2 cooking
    I would suggest that these products offer medium buffs with a mixture of fixed values and avatar related values for 2 h.
    E.g. a herb bread will give you 10% more auto healing per second and generally +75 hp.

level 3 cooking
    I would suggest that these products offer larger buffs but mostly just avatar related values for 2 h.
    E.g. a fish soup will give you 15% more auto healing per second and generally 15% more hp.

As you might noticed for new avatars level 3 cooking products might be most likely uninteresting as with e.g. 200 hp they would just get 30 bonus hp's (200 * 0.15 = 30) but a lvl 1 cooking product would offer them a fixed bonus of 50hp.
    A more advanced avatar with e.g. 600 hp on the other hand will prefer the level 3 food even if it is more expensive as he would gain with the buff 90 additional hp (600 * 0.15 = 90).
    This means even a new avatar can create food that is interesting for himself and other new avatars and as most if not all skill level 1 and 2 food can be used in higher skill level recipes they can be even sold to more advanced avatars as they will use them to create level 2 or 3 Food.

I would also suggest that the recipes offer some individuality. E.g. the recipe fish soup needs 4 ingredients
    - fluid
    - prepared vegetables
    - fish
    - bread
    But it is up to you if you use bass or pike meat or if you are using well water or whine to cook the soup. Each ingredient has a different influence on the final product and choosing the best ingredients to support the different needs of avatars requires a lot of knowledge of the cook.
    Just some example values to describe about what I'm talking:

fluid
    water = +/- 0
    whine = +5% hp, - 5% focus

prepared vegetables
    diced carrots = +5% health
    diced potatoes = +5% focus

fish
    bass filet = +5% health
    pike filet = +5% focus

bread
    honey bread = + 5% Health
    herb bread = +10% health, -5% Focus

A soup created out of whine + diced carrots + bass filet + herb bread will give a buff of
    -10% focus
    +25% health

Maybe each group of ingredients (fluids, meat, fish,...) has their individual set of variables. E.g. fish is normally granting focus and focus regen while meat is granting health and health regen. Maybe just rare ingredients like dragon meat are adding overlapping values (positive and negative) you normally not expect at that group.

This might get a little too complicated but to value the skills of an avatar I would suggest that the level of the skill is valued during the cooking process. E.g. if bass filet is adding +5% health to the fish soup you are maybe just able to hold +2.5% health as you are inexperience and overcook the soup.
    Maybe each ingredient has a difficulty value. The difficulty values of all used ingredients are combined and compared with your current skill Level. The more difficult the food you use the higher has to be your skill even if you already know the recipe. But even with a low skill you can try to create the product but possibly the product will not have the full benefits visible by adding the wording "overcooked", "burnt" or something similar to the name.
    As a simple example you have the recipe roasted meat that just needs 1 coal + 1 meat.

pork meat = 10 difficulty
    crocodile meat = 25 difficulty
    dragon meat = 100 difficulty

With a skill of 10 you have a 99% chance to create "roasted pork meat" but maybe just a chance of 66% to create "roasted crocodile meat" and maybe just a chance of 5% to create "roasted dragon meat". If you fail you will create e.g. a "burned roasted pork meat" with lower bonuses.

Thanks for reading and what do you think? :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.