Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Release 67 Feedback (General)

Discussion in 'Release 67 Feedback' started by Bedawyn, Jul 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Y'all change so much so quickly, I hardly get my notes from one release compiled before half of them are outdated! Although I often disagree with some of the specific larger changes, the fact that you are working on constant improvement, at least partially informed by player requests, is great and makes the game much more engaging.

By far my favorite change this release is the improvements to the conversation dialogue window and the center-of-screen tips. No, they're still not perfect.

The background on the screen tips still needs to be dynamic, so that it's not blacking out a big stripe of the visuals for a tip that's only a short sentence. And I'd prefer a more interesting, medieval fantasy-flavored font that would suit the ambience of the game -- something uncial-ish but mostly san serif, perhaps. There has to be a middle ground between "minimalist modern" (like it is now) and "too ornate to be readable" (as it used to be).

On the conversation window, for readability's sake, it still needs more padding between the text and the edge of the window. I'm on the fence about whether the current "see the end of a paragraph, then scroll up to read the beginning" is better or worse than the old continue button. I still think multiple issues would be better addressed by having the dialogue in a separate pane taking up the right third of the window, so you could see the whole conversation at once.

But that said, my eyes are still very very grateful for the current release. It shifts my desired text changes down to "areas of needed improvement" rank, whereas before this release they were at "Actively interfering with playability, FIX NOW!!!!" rank.

The other general (not NUE-related) change that's affecting me most is the routing around gathering nodes. I can't say that this is a good change overall. I really enjoy gathering, and I understand why people wanted that walk-around-the-node animation changed. But for me, the walking-around was a minor annoyance that didn't prevent me from enjoying the game. Currently, those walk-around nodes are fixed, but now other nodes are malfunctioning -- skinning and gathering animations centered a foot or more away from the actual node. I'm concerned that new players will see that and come away with a worse first impression of the game than the walking-around animation would have caused. Hopefully, this can be fixed quickly and easily. But the fact that dirt and ash piles are still glowing as if they were gathering nodes when they're not makes me doubtful that anything node-related will be fixed quickly.

(Wrong glow reports: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...es-have-harvestable-glow.156026/#post-1239450)

I'm enjoying the login rewards. They started just as I started playing online, and they seem to have a good diversity going. So far, it's been one really good reward, one I'd never use, one I don't care about now but might be useful at higher levels, and one that's useful now at low levels. It's reassuring that even casual players are likely to get something they'll appreciate, if not every month, than at least every few months, regardless of playstyle.

I'm also really enjoying hearing about the player dungeons. Will be a long time till I'm ready to play with them, but they give me something to look forward to. Probably the higher-level thing I'm MOST looking forward to -- I'd much rather build than kill things, so it's great to have a game that will accommodate that!

Astirian likes this.
  2. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Oddly for me the fact that the conversation dialogue is so huge and in the middle of the screen is my least fave thing, as a high res screen person, I dont need 10 lines of text filling up most of a 4k screen.

Hermetic, that_shawn_guy and Jaesun like this.
  3. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Yeah, I've heard that from others. For me, on 1600 x 900 (the highest res screen I've ever had), the sizing is now just about right (at least, right if you're going to have it in the center bottom, which is a bad place for it to be but that's a debate that seems to be a dead horse). But the scaling issue definitely needs to be addressed, it's just something I can't speak to myself.

To be honest, I run into so many apps that are hard-coded for high resolutions, where I can barely read the text and can't adjust it without breaking the app, that I'm not optimistic about coders in general remembering that scaling is even a word they should be familiar with. So for now I'm just tremendously grateful that for once I got the long end of the stick and that I can now focus on enjoying the game instead of struggling to read it.

Astirian likes this.
  4. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Yeah, no padding and the text is blurry. Even just some garnish around it would help if they hate padding, something like this maybe?

[​IMG]

5. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

It just feels big and clunky as it stands

[​IMG]

6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

meanwhile, i can still barely read the numbers in my skill window...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.