Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Release 7 and 8 Feedback

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by Rippys, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippys

Rippys Avatar

My first Pre-Alpha feedback as I only started in R7 (long time UO player just for reference)

A few points to make really:

1. The tiny little zones destroy any feeling of being part of the game world. Fast travel is a lazy mechanism that makes me feel detached from the game world. I hope there's the possibility of it being removed as R8 has made it really strike home what a terrible game design it is. As mentioned by other posters it is really frustrating to watch people magically disappear as they zone out mid-fight - it makes PvP redundant in Open World terms. Please please please don't cut the world up like this it's a game breaker for someone like me.

One of the greatest joys in UO was having a house in a dangerous part of the game world and watching the daily slaughter going on outside (and joining in occasionally).

2. The deck system - I don't dislike it as it's good to try and innovate but it doesn't feel like much of an improvement on the traditional hotkey / actionbar setup we're all used to. Maybe someone smarter than me can think of a suggestion that pushes the deck mechanic to the next level - failing that I'd personally remove it.

3. Combat pace - seems fine, people are not insta dying or taking forever to kill so it feels like you guys are pretty close already on this.

4. Initial skill sets seem sensible. It's good having different melee skills that focus on different abilities - like blunt weapons stunning etc. Obviously as a melee toon it's frustrating to be rooted whilst your toon completes the swing animation but I'm sure that will go in later releases.

5. Lastly a pie-in-the-sky suggestion but maybe consider having standard servers for single item looting upon death and hardcore servers with full corpse looting for us blood thirsty old school UO players who loved the thrill of knowing all your stuff could go at any time.

Apologies if the feedback seems a little negative - the game world already looks great and there are some excellent elements in the game already (housing is fantastic if again impacted by the tiny, lifeless, housing zones)

Cheers

2. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

The dual scale map with zones is a KEY part of the game and has virtually no chance of being changed. It's one of the things that's pretty well set in stone as it's required for budget, performance, and real-time instance updates. There's a great deal of information about this scattered throughout the forums.

That being said, putting restrictions on zoning out mid-fight might be possible, so it's not all bad.

Ragnabrock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.