Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Remember Password

Discussion in 'Release 6 Feedback' started by Noctiflora, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

I would love to have an option on the launcher to remember password like it remembers name. Mine is a 16 character pw and it's a pita typing it in every time. I'd be so, so grateful and if you guys could see your way clear to add this at some point, I'd promise never to sing under your windows. :)

2. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Is that some sort of universal trick of The Man (tm)? I don't have a single game that saves my password anymore. :( Convenience VS Security... Why can't we have nice things?

Time Lord and Noctiflora like this.
  3. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Ah, NO...

Montaigne and Time Lord like this.
  4. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Some still do. EQ2 and a few others I've played the last couple years. Definitely a nice convenience for those whose comps are not at risk.

Time Lord and Caska DiFumarate like this.
  5. 3devious

3devious Avatar

EQ2 saves your password!? Hang on!

Edit: Well, I'll be...

Time Lord and Noctiflora like this.
  6. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Yes, I still play it. In fact when I launch it, it just logs me in automatically unless I've intentionally closed it out.

Edit: Just went to check on when I completely log out the launcher itself rather than just logging out of the game. It doesn't save in that case. Otherwise it auto logs you in each time, no typing in the password

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I hate it when any system remembers my passwords because then I forget what I used for it and yet they remember o_O to forget it ;)
    I have many friends that now use a central password service that keeps them all for you, but I haven't tried that yet.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Eriador, Jambo and Asclepius like this.
  8. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

I'm old school. I have an Excel spreadsheet (which itself is password protected - but I can remember that one:rolleyes:) and I've listed all the passwords I know about. It does tend to be variations of about 4 or 5, but still... Then you get a site that gives you XJyt54S9L8BNg67 - much easier to copy & paste:D:p

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

I have a notebook with my passwords. Any kind of autosaving of passwords presents potential security risks afaik.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

Ironically, not providing a save PW option tends to lead to less secure behavior in that instead of using complex, secure, hard to crack passwords, people will use short easy to remember/type ones.

I would much rather there be a save PW option. I grant that this puts the onus on players to govern access to the physical PC its saved on, but the tendency to use better passwords is worth it.

As it stands I have a text file on my desktop which I open, copy my long PW, paste into SotA.....EVERY TIME.

foobard, Noctiflora and Time Lord like this.
  11. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

+1 for saving passwords.

Noctiflora and Time Lord like this.
  12. Sierra

Sierra Avatar

You can give your passwords to me I remember them for you, trust me....
    A password saving option would be great, no one needs to be forced to have it active.

13. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

A save password feature is a liability. It's basically giving access to your account to anyone who uses your computer, permitted or not. This is the number one way that people have their accounts breached.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

I wonder. What is worse though: someone whom a player trusts with their PC in the first place getting into their SotA account, or users using weak passwords because they dont want to remember and/or type a secure one everyday...

Noctiflora and Time Lord like this.
  15. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Yes but some people never have anyone with access to their comp, like in my case. And mine is a pc not a laptop so it never goes anywhere either. It's hardwired, no wi-fi, so no snooping neighbors. The only way anyone would ever have occasion to access my comp would be a burglar, in which case my game password would be the least of my worries.

I feel that if it's an option, then it's the responsibility of the person checking or unchecking the box. Just like it's the owner's responsibility to have a windows log-on password, or not, for booting up their computer. Or like some games offer the little security fobs for people who's computers are potentially at risk of someone logging on, while others don't need it.

16. Sierra

Sierra Avatar

I would say number one is stolen passwords from the server database - at least for email accounts, but maybe you are right. But the safest way to play is then not to play at all.
    And if a no save function leads to 'aaaa' Passwords you are certainly not safer with respect to account breaching. There is no ethical liability - if there is one by law of course you need to be aware but as many
    other companies provide such features I do not think so. In the end everyone is his own master and a text stating that by activation someone agrees to be aware of the risk and that you take no refund should be
    more than enough I think... but well then after all I am not a lawyer. ^^

17. Net

Net Avatar

I just wish I was not logged out 95% of times when I alt-tab or just restart the game, not the launvher. I can live with entering my password twice a day... not 50 times though...

Well, anyone who uses your computer can install keylogger (or hidden camera) and get your password when you are entering it via keyboard...

Noctiflora likes this.
  18. stile

stile Avatar

It depends on the individual as to it being a liability.

If its being saved on your own system..

Well my gaming rig is not left on. Someone would have to break into my house (during which time my security cameras would be notifying me on my phone of movement, and recording them).

Disable my security system (which is police monitored and is wireless, and hidden).

Hope my 3 stay at home neighbor moms have not called the police.

Turn on my system... Know the password to log in (which no one except my wife has).

Then figure out where SotA keeps the password saved, and decrypt it to get the info.

If on the other hand you have 10 people living with you and you have SotA save your password. Your own fault, sorry for your loss.

Im a +1 for remember password as long as its only doing it on local machine :)

Wether you should be using that feature is the users responsibility.

Noctiflora likes this.
  19. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

-1 for saving passwords. So my vote is no.

Keira Of CODB and The One like this.
  20. Foobard

Foobard Avatar

+1 for saving passwords. Or perhaps two factor authentication. There are smartphone apps the game can leverage instead of issuing RSA Keychain fobs.

Sir Nicolas Mortier likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.