Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

repair... why you exist ?

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Lord John Whorfin, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord John Whorfin

Lord John Whorfin Avatar

Well, i just want to talk about a thing i've realise... Whats the real utility at the repair skill ? And in second point, whats the goal to lvl it ?

1: Utility: Repair item. Anyone even with no skills in repair, can just drag the repair kit buyed from a vendor and repair is own items. So no real utility to Artisan to use that skills and offer our service with that skills.

2: Lvl it for what ? Even with close nothing in the skill i repair in 1 time with a repair kit to full repair.

And finally, when max durability is too low, anyone can just drag a COTO on it and get fully repair back.

So why i would spend XP on that skills ?

Idea: High repair skill should be able to repair max durability without COTO.
    We shouldnt be able to drag a repair kit on an item to repair it. It should be necessary to be on the proper crafting station and put the item and the repair kit and hit repair button to repair. Then if you have low skills you shouldnt be able to fully repair with 1 kit. Higher your skill is, highter durability you repair:

Example: Repair skill at 10: +10 + 0 repair === item broken 0/100 ==== 10/100
    Repair skill at 20: +20 + 5 repair === item broken 0/100 ==== 25/100
    So each 10 skill you get skill +bonus+ 5 so at 70 you'll get 70+30 = 100, so item will be fully repaired at 70 repair skill to get to 100/100.

Thats my idea to make this skills being really usefull and give him a real utility to be lvled.

2. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

I argued this months ago. The best repairs should come from skilled artisans. Eventually an item should need a COTO, but more like every 3 months of hardcore play - not every couple of days.

People are repairing/replacing so much that they should really call this Repair of the Avatar.

3. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

lol that's crazy, I bash all day and I've only used one coto on a hally that went from 70 to 34 max dura after like 1.5 weeks.

If equipment has low dura to begin with then don't use it to grind so hard.

4. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I agree that cotos have nullified the value of a high repair skill.

While I don't see Cotos going away, it would be nice to see changes to make the skill worthwhile again.

5. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

If you use a repair kit at the station you will repair more per kit. (A lot more, and it increases as your repair skill increase).
    As your repair skill gets higher, your repair per kit in the field also seems to repair more.

If you don't want to level it, that's fine, but for those of us that do leave it alone.

6. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

How many hours a day did you actively stay in combat? How many repair kits did you use before you went to the coto to repair max?

Appreciate you sharing the info!

7. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

we have hit this topic many times....I dont know what it will take to drive this point home....
    @DarkStarr
    We the Backers Of Sota
    would like to say.
    Cotos Great for buying potions and paying Taxes.
    Cotos Bad for item repair. Please adjust.
    Make the repair skill work and woth something and the Evonomy will become more stable.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    3dmark, Net, Anvar and 3 others like this.
  8. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I'd still buy Cotos to pay taxes and buy potions if they weren't tied to equipment repairs.

9. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

I was doing soltown catacombs for my first couple weeks, because loading soltown and the catacombs don't crash me as much as other larger maps. 3 runs per hour for around 6-8 hours per day. It took about 10 days before I used COTO, probably early. But at around 34 max durability it only takes a few runs to need to repair it. The halberd I use has 70 total max dura, at -30 durability loss naturally.

At one point I purchased 10 carpentry repair deeds from the public vendor for 900 and I used them all before using the COTO, maybe a few that I bought from the merchant as well.

My weapon is a copper halberd +4. Maybe the +4 means slower max durability loss? I dunno yet what + modifiers do here.

Edit: I should also say that I typically repair the weapon early, meaning that I could have left it to get lower and the repair deed would have still brought it back up to max, but yeah I like to use repair deeds every 20 or so durability loss, and I guess that also might halt the degrading of max as well.

10. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

couple more things to consider might be that polearms hit multiple targets, I dunno if all two handed weapons do that or how it works with one handers or bows yet. But I guess it stands to reason that if Max dura loss happens per swing, hally swings less times to get the job done. All those mobs were yellow to me at the time too, so I was hitting fairly often and not missing a ton.

Really though in that whole time and still a week later, I haven't even used a single smith repair deed on my copper epic plate suit yet and the dura loss isn't even too bad, fighting red and orange mobs occasionally. And I don't have any repair skill of any kind or crafting skills.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  11. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

maybe a chance to retain the repair kit should commensurate with repair skill.

12. Lord John Whorfin

Lord John Whorfin Avatar

I'm at 20 and i fully repair in 1 shot a 80 max durability item and it was at 0. So whats the point to lvl it more now ? My goal is to lvl all artisan skill to GM and its what i do. So i'll for sure argument in every skill i judge useless or bad balancing. After that its always just my opinion and feedback, so SoTa team will do what they want with it. But imo this skills is useless to lvl right now.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  13. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Since the final wipe, I had to repair my gear with only one set of couple tool kits only , which is not too bad considering I made about 70k gp playing casually. If I didnt have to auto Rez due to timeout, my gears probably lasted longer.

14. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

Good thought :)
    and to add to that, maybe not needing a repair kit at Gm Repair?

15. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Crafting tables should require 1 unit of the main component for repairs. Kits for fixing on the road.

Bronze ingot for Bronze 2HS, 1 rock maple timber for RM longbow etc

Looking at raw materials to make kits, it's never worth it. 100g is always better, unless you had rare mats like above but with reasonable qty

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Lord Edward Sweyn likes this.
  16. Joeble

Joeble Avatar

"Repair kits are not worth it to make, buying for 100g is always better".

I have seen this a few times and last night made some to use, it seemed like the costs were very cheap. What am I missing here? For carpentry, it was 2 metal bindings and 2 wood bindings, most of it I foraged. No way it cost more than 100g per kit...

17. Lord John Whorfin

Lord John Whorfin Avatar

its simple: 2 binding is 1 iron ingot, price is around 200-300 gold selling between player depend on who is selling . and i'Ve not talk about the price of the wood. So yup definetly cheaper to buy them.

18. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Mine are 3 ingots and a couple leather. Or 3 cloth +

Unless they changed the recipe for Smith/Tailor

19. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Perhaps repair should be bench only and rather than selling repair kits we sell maintenance kits. Max Durability shrinks on Durability Repair. You would want to seek highly skilled artisans to maximize your durability per repair that way your max durability shrinks more slowly. COTOs are still used for Max Durability Repair.

Maintenance Kit - Increase Item Damage Resistance by 10% for X hour(s).

This would be oils, whetstones, wrappings, etc... that help to maintain and upkeep an item to make durability damage a slower process. These are used proactively rather than reactively. Likely ignored for trash items, but used in abundance for treasured items.

20. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

I HIGHLY doubt anyone will ever bother to have anyone else repair their gear but themselves. Why would anyone bother? I also find it absurd you need a repair deed at a station. In the field sure makes sense, maybe even at low skill maybe makes sense but with good skill and or at a station it seems like just a pre-programmed resource sink that isn't needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.