Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Request: [RP] Tag on nameplate

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by ThurisazSheol, Sep 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

I'd like to be able to easily via option and/or keybind, toggle a [RP] tag on my toon, of sorts. maybe a color or a symbol if "[RP]" is took tacky.

there will be times i want to RP, there will be times i am simply not interested in it.. i want people to know so if they approach me and i'm in a fugue state that day, they don't get the wrong impression when they start RPing with mje and i tell them to F off or some such horribly abusive nonsense.

it would also greatly help people like @Ravicus Domdred tho will be playing a character involved in a highly controvercial act, of cannibalism.... if he's in RP mode, and people's toons are horrified by it, they can RP with it as he's walking around - if he's not in RP mode, they can actually talk to the supernice and laid back dude behind the toon.

i'm kind of on the fence on how to make it work - the [RP] tag, or just a color of nameplate, or a symbol next to the name, or something... doesn't matter really, but something would help.

EDIT: upon further discussion below, maybe add an optional [NRP] tag, may be easier for players to remember to toggle that instead.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

:p
    Shouldn't it be the other way around? For immersion...
    :p

3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

It is a great idea in theory, but for it to work the way you envision, players would have to be very disciplined using the toggle and all have the same expectations about player behavior when the toggle is on/off. One player may be more approachable when the toggle is off, as in your example, but with others it might be the other way around. In practice I think this tag would be very confusing.

4. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

that's the beauty of it, @Kara Brae , a small system, off by default. if people wish not to use it, they don't have to.

great point on the discipline aspect though. hm...maybe a no-rp tag then, and assume rp by default, with some graphic on the toolbar showing the toggle is showing?

Ravicus Domdred and tesyra like this.
  5. tesyra

tesyra Avatar

I like that yes, assume RP unless informed otherwise [NRP]

Prazza and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  6. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I'd use this. Mostly to remind myself to be in character ;) I'm horrible at RP but I enjoy the concept.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  7. Selene

Selene Avatar

I think most non-role players would not take the time to flag themselves as non-roleplaying. But role players, on the other hand, would probably be more likely to flag themselves as such since assuming their in-game persona is already an extra step.

8. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I agree there should be some way to tell that someone is actively role-playing... but what I fear is that folks might just "like the way the indicator looks" and just have it on, but not really participate or even understand how... what if there was a way, when it's turned on, that your in game over head/chat text is a slightly different hue, a subtle, but non-invasive way to indicate that the person speaking is attempting to role-play, and probably would not enjoy a discussion of "damage numbers and this week's football scores" ? I don't know...

9. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

that COULD get abused by gold sellers and such, though. they don't follow Wheatons Law, sadly.

10. MIdnightvalkyrie

MIdnightvalkyrie Avatar

I like the idea of some way to identify people who want to rp. I've been playing on and off since april or so and have yet to meet more than maybe two people who seem to be even vaguely into rp. I've tried starting a number of conversations with people, but it is discouraging when most of them reply with stuff like "u 2", "k tx tc" or the equivalent. After a while that just makes me not even want to try - an rp indicator would help me out a lot in that regard.
    For clarification I am talking about spontaneous rp here - I know there are regular events like the sermons but the kind of rp I prefer is where you run into people in the world, strike up a conversation (or an argument) and take it from there.

Ravicus Domdred and Lord Ravnos like this.
  11. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

@MIdnightvalkyrie i know there are some times and places dedicated to RP, check out the avatars circle calendar for RP events.

12. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

not trying to be a total stinker as I like the idea but i plan on staying in character after launch and planned on treating everyone else as though they are too lol whether they rp or not lol

13. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

i propose that it is those who choose not to rp that have to set a tag, i see no reason why the default should penalize the immersion of the rp crowd with yet another tag referencing a real world activity.

14. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

there really isn't a penalty either way, in this, especially with how the game's story starts as the avatar....

i'd propose the other way, because those who roleplay tend to be willing to do more, those that do not roleplay tend to want more with less, and are usually unwilling to even CARE about that particular type of toggle, which is what will cause the most confusion if this type thing gets implemented. the roleplayers would have a higher chance to actually use the system, and use it properly.

Alley Oop and Moonshadow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.