Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Responded] Searing ray damage (enchantment)

Discussion in 'Crafting, Harvesting, Salvage, & Agriculture' started by Sway, Apr 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sway

Sway Avatar

when enchanting a wand or staff with the sun gem attached searing ray damage should pop up. but instead blistering ray on hit comes up. you don't attack with wands or staffs so this would never pop off.
    taken from R52 missed questions -

"Mia Sway: why when enchanting sun gemed wands do you get blistering ray on hit? that is for melee.... earth gets obsidian arrow damage on wand (quake on hit on swords and stuff) death gets death ray damage on wands (and leach life on swords)
    STARR: Bug. Please write up"

1. Title: Searing ray damage
    2. Reproduction Rate: 100%
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details: above
    5. Steps to Reproduce: socket sun gem and then enchant
    6. User Specs: Alchemy - 100, enchanting - 84, enchant armor - 62

2. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

@Sway
    I'm sorry, I think Starr read your suggestion to be a bug report - Searing Ray damage increase as a enhancement was never invented as part of the enchanting system.
    There is Blind: On Hit but most of them across all trees are exactly that, 'on hits'. The only gem based proc I know of specifically for wands is the one you mentioned - out of all 8 magic trees. Chaos excluded.
    Now technically all wands are considered bludgeon (intentionally) and can be used as such. The opportunity is there for it if players want to smack with them. Or even just tap an enemy with them, from time to time.

Another sample would be Banish Undead on hit - this requires melee. But Banish Undead is a spell, used mostly by casters. Not a melee power :)

Some also use wands as melee to poison as well. It's an interesting tactic.

3. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

@Sway

Just to clarify the earth one is "tremor on hit" and it is not linked to your skill in earthquake. You can get tremor on any weapon you enchant with a gaiaism gem, including wands.

I have also made many swords with +stone arrow damage, so this is not exclusive to wands. I have made wands with life leech, and swords with +death ray damage, so these are not exclusive either.

4. Sway

Sway Avatar

I'm aware that it isn't part of the system that is why my original question was "why". I don't understand how it's balanced the way it is. As a sun mage I get 3 options, 2 are on hit. One is attunment. the on hits are not really a true option for a wand that's planning on maxing out masterworks and enchants. Wacking things for one or two point in hopes to get a blistering ray is just going to end up breaking my wands faster. It's just frustrating, ever since I first read about this game all I wanted to be was a sun mage. I guess I can just keep my ankhs.

5. Sway

Sway Avatar

Also water has ice arrow
    Fire has fire damage
    Life has life effectiveness
    The only ones that don't have an enchant that would be mage worthy are sun air and moon. ( but moon didn't have an attack spell when the enchants where made. My guess is one day moon will get a single target attack spell and after that an enchant to go with it)

6. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

Yes indeed. You are right on the other trees...I was referring to wand specific enchants. Both moon and sun have some great enchantments, but is dependent on your playstyle. But this is simply my personal opinion. Moon can be amazing for stealthers and that crit chance procs a lot.
    All the trees don't have something exactly equivalent in all of them - but on the other hand - each also offer something unique for that tree.

But these are simply my opinions and discussions on this can go on and on. But I'm sorry, I don't see what the bug here is to report on the QA side of things. I do believe you are referring to balance and your observations on how enchantments are designed currently, and I apologize for the initial confusion on it.
    @Sway

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.