1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugsā€¦ QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice

[Responded] Unexpected Webcam usage

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, Audio, & Instruments' started by Tahru, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

02/10/2023 19:43
    Title: Unexpected Webcam usage
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? Depends how much you like privacy
    Details: Whenever i launch the game, my Logitech webcam starts. I don't understand why and have looked for options to stop it. This does not happen with any other games or applications.
    Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Run game
    2. See Webcam is on
    User Specs:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor (32) System RAM: 32683
    GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT GPU RAM: 16337
    SotA.Win.64.1631.Date.02.10.23
    Area: Kingsport
    Area Display Name: Kingsport
    Loc: (-59.6, 25.1, 26.3)
    Debug: S2luZ3Nwb3J0fHwoLTU5LjU2OSwgMjUuMTI3LCAyNi4zMTIpfCgwLCAtMC45NTQsIDAsIDAuMzAxKXwyMTUuMDIyNHwxMHwzLjQ2NzEyNQ==

2. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Not seeing it. Since I have so many USB devices that I use based on what program is running, I have a USB hub with switches to turn them on and off. My camera is normally switched off at the hub. I turned it on to test this. I was able to control it via the Logitech software, Discord and OBS. I started SotA and ran it for 15 minutes without the camera switching on. My camera has a light to indicate when it is on. Logitech BRIO.

3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I agree it is unusual. I have the light indicator as well which how I know it is running. My webcam is USB-C so there is no switch to turn off short of manually unplugging it from my computer (I have switches for other USB 2/3 stuff though). I have to guess that the game is accessing the audio or or mic from it. I can't imagine why the game would use the camera unless they were experimenting with facial tracking. I can still hear audio from the headphones, so that is not it. I am very computer savvy and this has me very stumped. I don't know what to do besides unplugging the camera or stop playing the game. Maybe I need to reinstall the game? I am worried that the camera is being exploited. Not accusing the game of this of course, but one can't be too careful. I am hoping to hear some ideas on how to get down to the bottom of it.

4. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

SotA does not have code to access a camera or microphone currently.

There are other people on the web complaining about the same type of thing (with games in general). Microsoft (or at least folks on their forum, which usually are not Microsoft employees) is pointing everyone to Driver conflicts (not a chance in hell), or virus/malware. Though there is a possibility of some kind of PUP/Malware doing it, There are other possibilities that are more likely. Of course I would still recommend using a good Anti-Malware tool like Malwarebytes to scan the entire machine first.

I have seen Steam users complaining that it starts when they play a Steam based game, and at least one person has discovered that it was Nvidia's Shadowplay that had activated.

So as not to presume anything, questions first...

When did this start happening? (approx time frame if not known specifically)
    Are you running any of the following: OBS, Logitech Gaming Software, or GEForce Experience (or similar overlay software)?

Microsoft does have added settings and permissions for Microphones and Webcams in Win10. maybe it is possible that your default microphone has switched to your webcam, and the OS has the Microphone tagged against SotA. You can check in Settings to disallow access to any microphone per app. (Also Discord does the same. if you don't click the "dont tell me about this again" type notice, then Windows (on my laptop for example) warns me everytime I launch Discord that it is using my Webcam and Mic even though I'm not in voice.

As one example, the default key sequence to invoke GEForce's shadowplay/overlay software is ALT-Z SotA's deco scaling is CTRL-ALT-Z (shrink) or CTRL-ALT-X (enlarge)
    Of course in this example, the cam would not activate until you did the key sequence, (unless GEforce is leaving it on, but I think that would stay on for all applications. - I last used Shadowplay in 2017, so not remembering it completely).

In any event, This is the first thing I would do... after scanning and confirming a clean system, shutdown any non Microsoft utilities running before starting the game. (and check the Mic access permissions). then see if it still happens.

Violet Ronso and Anpu like this.
  5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Thanks! i really appreciate the advice. I will give it a go!

Ravalox likes this.
  6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I think it could be a steam issue. The only steam game I play right now is Shroud. For the time being, I just unplugged the webcam. I use it so rarely I can just pull it out when I need it. Thanks for the assist.

Alley Oop and Anpu like this.