Restocking furniture shop the price of a pole

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Jackblack, Feb 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackblack

Jackblack Avatar

Something needs to be done about the cost of producing a pole. A pole at current market prices costs 720g to produce. That means a basic chair at current prices costs 1100 gold. This seems a little extreme as it means larger recipes that don't require a pole but are perceived better/more expensive items cost less to produce.

2. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

That recipe should really just be changed so you get multiple poles (like 4-8) instead of just one.

I totally agree that it makes no sense currently. In addition to the ridiculous requirements to create a pole, most of the items that use them have similar and often better looking varieties that don't require poles at all.

3. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

THIS !!!!!!! YES!!!!!

Jackblack likes this.
  4. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I absolutely loathe the cost of making poles. Its a very imbalanced aspect of crafting / carpentry. I completely avoid nicer looking chairs due to the insanity of the poles.

A fancy stool is like half of a forest. Its time for a rethink of many recipe ingredients vs what you actually get for it.

Jackblack likes this.
  5. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Perhaps a complete overhaul on crafting mechanics is in order? Oh, wait... that has been needed since they IMPLEMENTED CRAFTING!

I mean, they made a half-hearted pass at it, since it no longer requires a pre-colonial high plains buffalo herd to make a single leather chest piece. No... now it only takes a small cattle ranch.

How about the forest you have to cut down to make a T2 long bowstave? You can ALMOST make an entire log cabin for the same amount of wood (if you aren't using scraps).

Jackblack likes this.
  6. Jackblack

Jackblack Avatar

Well I'm glad I'm not alone on this:)

7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I think what may have happened (and didn't happen) was the initial recipes for poles were only taking into account making weapon handles. But then they added furniture, but they added poles to them. This probably needs to be set to a different material, to allow the current cost of making poles for weapons alone (which I think is fine, for weapon making).

Suggestion:

Create a new Convert to Furniture Length Pole recipe. This recipe could take any one pole type, and then create 4,6,8 Furniture Length Poles. This new item then is only used in Furniture recipes, and replaces the existing poles used in any Furniture recipes. For example the Sturdy Stool recipe is:

Wooden Board x 1
    Wooden Pole Wooden Pole x 1

Would be changed to:

Wooden Board x 1
    Furniture Length Pole x 4

Something like that would address this issue. Just as a suggestion.

Daxxe Diggler and Fister Magee like this.
  8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Are you sure about that? I've got 389. I hope I haven't been screwing myself all these years.

But even 389 is extreme. I prefer increasing the quantity received. It doesn't hurt to lower the price of crafting weapons, they are too expensive and too weak right now anyway, making the handles a little cheaper isn't going to break the game. Forget the added complexity of furniture poles.

BTW you can have your stuff back if you want. It was just too cheap to pass up. ;)

Regarding the crafting pass in Q3, if it happens I think they should really reconsider how gathering works. It takes all day or a couple days to cut down a tree that size in real life. We whack it down in 5 game minutes. Then we get a tiny fraction of the wood you would receive. Dissatisfaction abounds.

For the time we currently spend we should be whacking on brush and fallen limbs, and get the same quantity of wood.

If someone wants to spend 1/2 an hour of real time (all day) beating on a tree, then they get something like 360 wood, but only once it is done. The tree progress is maintained if you are interrupted. But the ideal is to get a two person saw going, and do it much more quickly.

Then there is the portable milling station that you put out by the tree so you can get a whole logging and processing plant going.​

9. Jackblack

Jackblack Avatar

I think so, 1 pole is 6 wood and wood is 120gold per wood (I think).
    I'm happy with my prices if you are:)

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

That's if you don't use scrap. It only takes 3 wood if you use scrap. Always use scrap or you're literally throwing your gold away.

Anpu likes this.
  11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

This is one of literally hundreds of examples of things in crafting that are not cost effective / don't make sense.

Sorry if this sounds salty, (really, I am, but this is yet another example of crafting ludicrousness) but it is absolutely obvious/evident that crafting recipes are implemented and recipes decided with little to no knowledge of the underlying systems, relative costs / effort of obtaining materials, etc. This would be okay if someone actually read and acted upon the years of accumulated feedback about nonsensical crafting recipes and imbalanced costs, but yeah nobody does. While a certain amount of gamification is of course necessary, its long been a joke that you have to level an entire forest to make a decent bow - possibly several forests. Some good ideas from the community - as always.

The Pole Problem is more frustrating now with wood costs continuing to rise, due to it being used in the largest number of recipes in game, due to the addition of brewing and cask production, and with the lack of any real 'forest chopping' scene (ie, nothing along the lines of a mine density), the nerf of siege wood drops, etc. Basically more and more things are added that need wood and the wood supply has been diminished. Despite this, the fastest way to get wood is still to 'kill things' - seems to me the easiest fix to the pole problem and other wood-relateed problems would be to crank the number of logs obtained from actually chopping down trees.

Anpu likes this.
  12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Or maybe, change the recipes to use a new "furniture dowel" component, which could be crafted for a reasonable amount of materials. I think the issue is that somebody got lazy and didn't want to make a new furniture component "when we already have poles."

13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Wood chopping scenes should be POTs, with trees going away for years until they regrow. Years are pretty fast in Novia. If you clear cut your place, you'll never have more unless you manually replant. If you selectively cut, they auto-replant that fall.

Thus, the quantity of available trees in the POT and greed of the owner, rather than "There's a wolf standing nearby!" are what determine the quantity available for removal.

Also, want to know a redic recipe? I've posted about it several times. Small corner hedge. It's like the size of an in game pillow, or the square you plant on in a planting bed. A single square. Well, the original designer must have thought it was going to be a corner like they are in fences, where it extends out in two directions, because this tiny square is more expensive than the little and medium hedges, the latter being 7x as long!

It's just funny at this point. Salt has all washed away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.