Returning player for R22...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harmony, Sep 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harmony

Harmony Avatar

So.. I was an old first responder, who ended up having Earth pull me away from new Britannia for several months, so when I re-recreated my Avatar today, I foundmyself loving the new use based system, though I have a couple questions

1: how do I unlock new base skills? I mean, I don't have certain weapon proficiencies even at 1 yet, if I pick up, say, a polearm or a shield, will I be able to use them?

2: how do I unlock skills deeper in trees? I mean, I have the dex training skill in tactics from taking Love path, how do I "learn" strength traning? or higher level skills in the magic trees?

2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

The answer to both your questions is the same : You need to locate an NPC trainer from whom you can purchase the first level of a skill.

The lower tier skills are available in Soltown. For the higher tiers you need to visit the trainer in Ardoris/Owl's Head/Solanis. :)

Harmony likes this.
  3. Harmony

Harmony Avatar

my thanks, Your Grace.

That said, is there a "cap" to skills? as in, what's keeping me from whacking at a target dummy to get my blade combat skill to 1337?

Duke Raas likes this.
  4. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

At the bottom of the screen are two bars representing your unused experience points for "Adventure" and "Producer".

When you use a skill, a portion of that experience is spent on the skill you used.

To acquire new experience, you need to actually go out and either kill stuff, or harvest/craft. Sitting at the training dummy all day will simply empty your unused experience, and leave you with nothing to spend on new skill levels.

Over time, your skills will decay a tiny bit, so you need to keep using them to maintain your current level. The higher the skill level, the faster the decay, so you need to pump more experience into those skills to maintain them at a high level (by killing harder creatures or simply doing more work).

Hope that answers your question. :)

Harmony likes this.
  5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

First off, welcome back!

Trainers can unlock new base skills but there should also be a new character experience in this build where you go to the Island of Storms. You make virtue and skill/equipment decisions that affect what you start with.

Harmony likes this.
  6. Harmony

Harmony Avatar

That's interesting. I was curious about that as I was wondering how they'd balance it as some of us would be the nolifers trying to max out everything.
    I would be one of those individuals. Hence why Forge of Virtue was ony of my favorite expacs in any game ever because you -could- max everything

Duke Raas likes this.
  7. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I enjoyed the story and crafting part of Forge of Virtue as well. And talking to the sword was great.

Harmony likes this.
  8. Harmony

Harmony Avatar

Oh, without a doubt. I really felt for those Golems. and yes, talking to Arcadion was awesome, even if FoV retconned a good bit of how things were in the first three Ultimas.

My only real dislike of the expansion was one thing. Figuring out how to kill Lord British (Sorry, Rich.) in each game was a Gordian Knot. The Black Sword was the figurative and literal sword that cut the Gordian Knot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.