RFC: Unarmed Combat Skills

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Jack Knyfe, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I am, im also an instructor as well :)

2. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I would think if they implement Monks/martial arts, the most important skill would be DEX, and Focus (which would really be correctly implemented) spell casting should have its own mana pool.

3. Curt

Curt Avatar

My first rpg char was a monk in 1st edition ad&d
    Stone fist, Ice Fist, Flame Fist is skills that is a bit related at least

Could have a new skill in tactics that increased damage when not wielding a weapon
    with a second tier skill that modified your autoattacks fro a while after using one of the fist spells.

4. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

also high dex and focus could come into play (then focus would be used for what it is) maybe high strength and health as well, body conditioning for how much pain you can take! :) or put out! and fight speed (dex)

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Oh my bad. So when was the last time you fought a person with a knife or a halberd and disarmed them in a real fight? Did you get cut?

To be fair even if you could disarm a knife fighter say 4 times out of 10 without getting cut, 6 times out of 10 you die.

My guess is that you have not fought enough knife fighters in real life, or you would not be posting here.

I'm not saying what you know is useless. I know plenty of knife disarms myself. However I would much rather avoid an unarmed fight against a person wielding a knife because I know for a fact that the knife fighter has the clear advantage.

Bodhbh Dearg and Jivalax Azon like this.
  6. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

You are in my head Isaiah. Blaquerogue and I just had a private convo about this. The thing is getting a polearm away from someone isn't all that difficult. Trying to get a knife away from someone who knows how to use it is normally deadly. Other things are in between. A spear isn't bad. A bow is not hard ... if you survive the first shot or two (otherwise, you're dead). Swords are a mixed bag. Easier to run a bit and throw stones, but up close enough there are things you can do ... of course in between you can die pretty easy.

There is a reason games rarely implement martial arts with any semblance of realism. But in this realm there is magic. As Curt mentioned, if martial skill was implemented, then the fist spells should come into play and affect damage. Combos? As Blaquerogue said, Dexterity and Focus should be very important to martial arts.

There is an old saying among knife fighters: "The winner goes to the hospital, the loser to the morgue."

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yeah that seems useful additions to Shroud. Like Chris said, having additional damage applied to unarmed combat based on some skill is good, and then add in joint locks for control, and take downs as well... that would be all they truly need.

Although I do think having kicks, pummels, and elbows etc would be realistic in combat. Maybe that could the the auto attack addons at close range. Maybe those could be additional skills that can be trained up in the future.

I would imagine that in war a person who survived long enough would know some tricks, like when both swords are high a low kick might give him an advantage in the next strike. Stuff like that.

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

SO UNARMED COMBAT!!!

The first big problem I see with it is that in a world where there is magic, and weapons I would rather go to school to be able to shoot lighting at somebody than learn how to do karate chops.

Who in their right mind would want to learn how to do karate chops at karate school and take 10 years or more to master it when you could go down the street to the wizard school and zap several karate masters at a time with chain lighting? Or you can spend six months learning how to use a sword and kill a karate master in seconds?

EDIT: NOBODY BETTER TELL ME THAT THEY CAN DISARM A SWORDSMAN... Don't even go there.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  9. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Wow really man???? Obviously you have no martial arts training whatsoever (which is evident in your posting) swords are quite easy to disarm! but go ahead and believe what you want man, as far as knives yes i have disarmed several of them in my life (growing up in a bad neighborhood helped) If you pull a knife on me im just going to laugh at you then take it, probably use it against you.

So to sum it up yes i have fought people who pulled a knife on me, and i laughed each time. Please dont ever pull a knife on someone that has martial arts training, it would be a bad decision on your behalf.

Oh heres an example of disarming a swordsman, i broke through an opening you left when you swung and missed me, my left kneed hit you square in your chest knocking you down, my thumb is now in your throat, eye or whatever (maby i just shot my forearm across your throat and collapsed your wind pipe , my right knee has your sword arm pinned to the ground "End game" I now am a proud owner of your sword! Anyhow you can argue all you want, you have a right to believe what you want, as do I. It is a proven fact and it can be done.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  10. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

I love how so many "experts" periodically turn up in these forums. So you retired from teaching DTAC or whatever to be a gamer eh? nice. :rolleyes:

Ice Queen likes this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Wow, what the hell??? I just put it out there plainly how it could be done if you were good enough! am i supposed to apologize for being an instructor? I think not. Ive always been a gamer even when i was an instructor. I cant help it i like video games!

12. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

13. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Unarmed would be a good backup if my sword breaks. I don't plan to carry half a dozen extra weapons.
    I don't need it to be realistic.
    It's a fantasy game. I'm ok with caving in plate armor with a mighty kick.
    Or punching a skeleton so hard its helmet flies off with a head still in it.
    Magic is what the Obsidians used to create abominations. It was magic that broke the world.
    I'll stick to good steel and old fashioned muscle power, thank you very much.

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Well anyway... anything is easy to disarm when your partner does it in practice. I just happen to be of the persuasion that a trained swordsman might not let you take his sword.

History is full of swordsmen, and not quite as filled with the legendary unarmed warriors. Surely history is written by the winners. If people were so awesome with their bare hands and feet we might have a few stories about them telling the tale of their great skills, but it seems those aren't the stories that were told.

15. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

BTW, I've done a bit of Aikido. My brother teaches Aikido and I've been a few times with him. I'm well aware that martial arts could be effective against even heavily armored foes. As Isaiah and others have said, strikes would probably not the best way to take out a guy in plate mail. Aikido is all about keeping the other guy off balance and a guy in platemail has a much tougher time balancing due to the weight. Also, platemail doesn't do that much to protect joints from bending the wrong way and leather/chain do almost nothing.

Again, love the idea but just not for launch. :) For launch I'm afraid we can add some unarmed stuff but I think you might still be laughed at for bringing a fist to a sword fight!

16. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

As I'm normally attacking bears, spiders, and wolves, I can handle that.

17. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

OK so were not getting the monk class, im good with that, now all we have to do is figure out how a clothed mage opponent seems to withstand a blow from a 2 handed hammer or mace without taking a crap load of damage or spells to protect him from it! :)

18. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

This post made me really happy. All I could think about is, 'finally, a worthy practice for the 'Humility' followers among us! :D This should seriously be considered, in my humble opinion. ;-) Oh, and I didn't say this before, Welcome to Shroud of the Avatar Beetlebear!!

19. Briar Vesper

Briar Vesper Avatar

Not that it's not a skill.. But.... I duel or pvp another person with just fists and I gain skill ups !!. more exciting than hitting a gustball...I do like 1 damage

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  20. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

the best fighters in the world never focus on a single style, a varied style would make even more sense considering the lore around how we came to this world.

i'm thinking aikido throws/balance, taekwondo kicks, brazillian jujitsu grappling, all based on lowering your chi, which raises with each move you make, basic moves raising it less than advanced moves. - and midway through this, you learn another skill that can start to utilize focus, so you have more powerful moves, twice the pool to use, and have to manage two bars instead of one, going in opposite directions. :)

maybe having grandmaster npc's throwing around quests in their particular 'styles' that you have to learn more than just lore, but techniques and make specific decisions in specific ways to pass the tests and then you have a branch of moves available for that style, starting with stances..

lets say jack knyfe adopts an norguardian offensive style, if i stick to my ardorian defensive style, more of his moves have a better chance of getting past my defense and he'll do more damage.

-------

every game i play, i always try to come up with combat like a bruiser. some of the most fun i ever had in a game was playing a barbarian monk in everquest 2 with hand weapons like a cestus..but i always preferred using handwraps because it was simply a bit more realistic with the other moves out there.. basically it was more aesthetically pleasing. - i mean, everquest 2 monks were single target tanks, and could handle one mob at a time, peeling the hate off the guardian tanks during massive fights. and hold their own very well, when they knew hyow to play. i taught several people on my server how to play monks and why it was so darned fun to get a little more...hands on, so to speak. this topic, as you can tell has me kinda excited.

but yeah, i think using a hand-to-hand method of combat should be perfectly viable in this game. it certainly could be VERY fast if not as crippling per blow.

Jivalax Azon and Jack Knyfe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.