Rifthiker's Guide (494 edition) now available in Soltown

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Spoon, Aug 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Lux's Rifthikers are proud to present the answer in 6 volumes of 7 chapters each.

The Rifthiker's Guide

Published by Lux Library, in Lux Sanctuary.

The Rifthiker's Guide is the beginner rifthiker's guide to New Britannia. So if you have recently travelled through the Lunar Rifts to these parts, or if you know someone who is new, or maybe even a veteran who should know better, then this is the guide for you.

The guide is meant for new players which are unfamiliar with some of New Britannias quirks and peculiarities, with a slight addition of some humor to make it more pallatable.
    But unlike most such from players, I wanted to write this one completely from an in character point of view. This means that there are no meta talk about clicking here or there, or such things. Instead it is written as if the reader and auther both are travelling this world.

I usually hand these out as examples to new players when I'm doing my Hospitaller's rounds.

Please note that anyone is allowed to copy these books and resell them or hand them out. But if you do, please don't charge too much for them, they are meant for new folks so they should be cheap.

[​IMG]

Right now it is primarily being sold from our vendor in Soltown, right next to the Cheap Shop which sells slightly damaged goods too cheaply from the lost and found section of the moonworkers affiliation, so that even the most green arrival should be able to afford something.

However for you down on your luck folks that cannot afford the cheap price of the vendor - don't fear - it is free to browse the wares in front of the vendor. So you can read all six volumes of the Rifthiker's Guide without paying a coin, well at least as long as you are close enough to that vendor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Map drawn by Jacub White)

Any feedback or suggestions to the author or publishers is very much appreciated and can be done on the townhall message board below.

Thank you for your time and interest.

Happy hunting

Spoon mayor of Lux Sanctuary.​

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Thought it might please @Womby and @Vyrin to see the book numbering scheme in use:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

reserved

This post will later be about the Welcome Outlander parts of that lot. That is the new player experience bits.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Cassandra Corax and Vyrin like this.
  4. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I don't really don't need the guides,but purchased the set for my library.Thank you for the info on where to buy them.

Cassandra Corax, Acred, Vyrin and 2 others like this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Double negatives makes a positive, right?
    ;)

But lots of folks even with experience find the last volume "VI Companion" useful since it lists things like master trainers, and sign language locations etc.
    :p

6. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Woohoo! Great work Spoon! And for those who don't know what Spoon is talking about.... check out the NBBN.

Roycestein Kaelstrom, Acred and Spoon like this.
  7. Sea Hunter

Sea Hunter Avatar

Thank you Spoon! I am going to get my copies as soon as I log on :)

Roycestein Kaelstrom, Acred and Spoon like this.
  8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Ran out of books during my abscence yesterday during the telethon - sorry about that.

Now it is fully restocked again - and will restock the cheap vendor as well in a few minutes.

9. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Mr Spoon,

I stumbled across your shop in Soltown recently...literally.

Sorry if I knocked over one of those mug-stands with the books on display. I hope that you do realize: these stands are as top-heavy and tipsy as they are quaint!

Perhaps it's a sales technique... I can't help but ponder whether the choices we make are our own... or perhaps we're all guided and played, as marionettes, dancing in the schemes of the unknown...

Having (accidentally?) taken notice of the books, I took advantage of my seated position to flip through some of the pages. I giddily discovered invaluable information presented in generally a very humorous, if not occasionally sarcastic, tone.

With a flash, it suddenly started to thunderstorm, and I hastily decided to purchase a few copies of each volume from the vendor. I made my way home to the sunny shores of Brittany where I was able to peruse the volumes at my leisure.

At least, I think I purchased them; they were rather cheap, if I recall, somewhat of a steal infact. I may have also forgotten to return one or more of the "tasting" platter volumes in my haste. Regardless, I'm fairy confident that I did at least peruse them as evidenced by this very correspondence.

I've toweled off the display copies that enjoyed the luxury of my temporary company and protection, and please, rest assured, I shall intend to make due haste, when the opportunity arises, to return them back to their proper serving dishes.

I would, however, recommend, an awning perhaps? ...as the books become much harder to read with the pages wrinkled, shriveled and blurred from the rain. I do think I was still able to make out some meaning from the sodden pages, although I'm not sure it had anything to do with what the author intended. Nevertheless, I still had the copies I must have purchased, which, thankfully, remained dry.

I found the read, not only most enjoyable, but, again, humorous and informative. Indeed, some of the content, volume 6 in particular, I find to be an invaluable resource to always keep on hand whilst travelling.

It's impossible to compare such content to the glorious and generous, if not rusty, loot of the land, but, Cheers! my friend; this is some of the finest outlander content I have tasted in my times here in New Britannia! I am enthralled, enriched, entertained, enlightened and it is with esteem that I carry these 42 chapters with me as the passing trees give way to the meaning and very purpose of the time we have... and, of course, give way to the many, many copies of these pages which I hope you will sell like a wildfire scourge upon the land.

I was, on occasion, a wee betwixt perplexed and dissent, or suffice to say, some things came to mind as I read. Seeing as how times are lean, and on the final page, twas gold and rich rewards offered for such musings (if I recall correctly), it made sense that I do us both the favor of sharing my thoughts.

My first, overall and overwhelming observation: Such fine craftsmanship! Look at the fine binding, the careful attention to detail in the formatting, titling and numbering, coloring and spacing. Look at the engaging presentation within the books to the display tables for all to see and enjoy without purchase. Look at how approachable yet comprehensive the information is and how readily it's made available! Look at the clear care and passion that went into the carefully crafted the content all of which was seamlessly fit into the rifthiker story. Bravo my friend... BRAVO!

Now, enough of such pleasantries, on with the suggestions or at least comments.

Let's not encourage the poor Outlander to go it alone, If the month past has taught us anything, they'll be doing plenty of that in the days to come. Perhaps something like this (below) and maybe a mention of skills, without with, I'm afraid, our poor Avatar won't know what to do with them-self.

[​IMG]

Let's admit it, outlanders are, as a general rule, are rude. Let's take the opportunity to remind our friends the rewards that can be reaped, simply starting by asking one's name...perhaps also sticking with the stame style of quotation mark used previously, but of course that is totally a matter of personal taste, and there's no accounting for that. Anyway, this way at least maybe the outlanders won't run around calling all the locals "Banker" or "Farmer."

[​IMG]

Why, I've been travelling here since before there was a here and still, engaging this compendium, I'm feeling bewildered as a Soltown schoolboy. Thank goodness I have this trusty guide to lead the way in these confusing times! Not more than 10 pages into the collection I was reminded of just how needful and ignorant I am; not being able to make heads or tales of the reference to the chapter III, on making friends.

"Opportunities to make friends you say?" I said to myself, "in chapter III ???" And I quickly rushed ahead to find that chapter. "Are these chapters even numbered anyways!?" Hmmm, I thought, when I had flipped to the end and still not found the chapter on making friends...

"Do you think he meant
    Volume III?" I asked myself as I rifled through the pages of Volume III. No... "Perhaps he meant chapter 3 of one of the other volumes..." I wondered, as I anxiously flipped through each of the other volumes seeking the chapter on how to make friends.

Oh....you would not believe the hours I wasted searching for the mythical chapter III. Well you see, making friends, at least for some of us, is alarmingly difficult, and, quite frankly, I found no advice of any practical use whatsoever on the previous page, indeed it never occurred to me, upon seeing this reference to the illustrious chapter III that I had already absorbed all the guide had to offer on the matter. Ironically, of course, it was the very page I was on (in chapter IV), that had the suggestion on how to make friends.

Long story short (if it's not too late), perhaps the handy cross-reference to chapter III isn't as helpful as say, a bag of peanuts on a sinking airship.

And then... just when I'm off balance and doubting my own sanity... just when I'm thinking seriously about going to purchase a few more copies of the guide just to help me hold onto any grasp I had on reality....POW! Like a knee-high book-display-table to the shins comes the conclusion of the one-two punch. A reference to Chapter IV, not but a few words later, in the same sentence! I fell backward off my chair! "Are these chapters even numbered!?" After flipping through all the books again I walked back to Soltown to buy a second set (feeling like I could use all the help I could get).

I see what's happening here...you're circularly referencing the very page I was currently on (in chapter IV) in regard to a statement about trading which is actually discussed in the unnumbered fifth chapter! Brilliant! Hang on a sec while I go buy a guide to help me through this.

Those of us who are not such brilliant marketers may have done the page something like this...also some grammar feedback for free for blowing my mind with the references to the various chapters.

[​IMG]

In regard to the chapter, "Immortality hurts," First of all, for some reason, I try to sing this chapter to the tune of a song with similar title, but really doesn't work with these lyrics. I actually hurt myself trying to sing it. Other than that, I enjoyed it. It was very fun and clever. Toss it. Or at least shelve it. There is some debate about, whether, and how much, death really hurts. Like all things that we know little about, it's probably just best to avoid the topic entirely and not discuss it at all....at least not dedicate a chapter to it. Perhaps, in its stead, swap out with a couple page overview of skills and how it helps to categorize them into "Adventure" or "Crafting" and subcategories ...how simply using a skill makes one better at it across all these categories, BUT only if the Avatar has earned experience, and just how does one go about doing that?

After my earlier stress about the confusion over the chapters in volume I, I was able to relax and share a hot bath with several cold beverages and, thanks to the advice of chapter III (or was it chapter IV?) some new friends. Anyhoo, I very much enjoyed the final chapter of the volume, the advice to have fun. In accordance with your wishes to let you know if your advice was any good, I think that your advice just about nailed it spot-on.

The following day, I set down with the next volume, determined not to stress over the chapters.

The chapter headings in this book are all red. After flipping through the other six volumes (a couple times) to confirm that generally the chapter headings were blue, I set the book down and headed back to the bath.

The following day I read Volume II, disregarding the color of the headings, with the following comments,

Page 5, perhaps relate the humorous tradition where rifters are honored (and obliged) to include a ghost of their own skeleton among those marking the difficulty (or Absurdity) of a scene.

On Page 6 just a small suggestion on wording to clarify the important point being made....forward is the direction I generally move except when I'm moving backwards which is very seldom so forward most of the time. Very sage advice overall...oh, and that rushing foolishly back into a battle in which the odds are overwhelmingly against you...haha, I remember when I used to do that. Repeatedly. Haha yesterday. Then maybe a little more this morning.

[​IMG]

On page 8, the chapter on wildlife, it might help to mention that a wolf is not always a wolf. Er, that sometimes it's a wolf in wolf's clothing. What I mean to say is the very important difference between a wolf "here" and a wolf "there" and that generally the tougher wolves like to hang out in the zones with more skulls. Strangely enough, the same goes for the pine trees.

On page 12, the chapter on Fomorians. At the end of the faun section I might add, "or other nasty tricks." Also on this page you might take the opportunity to introduce the key race of Kobolds who are often mistaken for Fomorians.

I really enjoyed this volume.

After the delicious tension over the dangers in volume II, Volume III was a light and pleasant read and a nice change of pace.

The overview of Lunar Rifts on page 7 is great and perhaps could even use a reference(!) to Volume VI for times and destinations.

On page 10, the chapter on Ferry Services, I've noticed that many ferries now sport a red sail which must mean something significant. Also there may even be room for a reference (!) to Volume 6 with a list of all the main ferry locations.

Volume III was a nice read for a summer afternoon, and it highlighted for me the brilliant technique of the guide, to share profound secrets so subtly and plainly that the reader will never ever realize there were any secrets spoiled and will have the joy of discovering for themselves, that which the guide has prepared them for.

By the time the reader has reached Volume IV, they are ready with pen and paper to take notes of their ideas on the great technical overview in Volume IV. Perhaps on page 14 on Salvage, a mention could be made of the learning and skill gains that are to be had in a trade simply by taking things apart.

Similarly, Volume V was practically perfect just the way it was maybe with a fact check on page 9 whether Arabella shares here coconuts with every Avatar. Thought I had to get mine from Nob, although I may have done things differently if I knew Arabella was offering.

After reading 5 volumes of the guide, I feel firmly on my feet at which point Volume 6 becomes the indefensible reference I keep in my pack at all times.

It's not clear at first glance that page 7 is still taking about the destinations of the lunar rifts, is there a way to tie that in to the previous page more clearly? Also the characters (meant to represent the moon) at the start of the lines might be a little confusing (as in "why is this page encrypted??? I'm going to skip it!").

For the master trainers, would it help to have the person's name and maybe a very brief description of where to find them in town?

Even the most experienced rifthiker I think would find some of these pages helpful time and again

It's late and now I must turn in. I'll try to remember some of this advice for my travels tomorrow, or at least try to remember to carry these books with me.

[​IMG]

Spoon, old man, this was one-hundred-and-six pages of pure gold. Or maybe, more of a goldenrod. I really do love the color of the stock you chose to print on.

Oh, and Mr. Spoon, thank you again. I had fun.

DISCLOSURE: This post was meant to be fun, and in the spirit of the rifthiker's guide, give back some of the joy I got from reading it. While the suggestions are sincere, any criticism of the guide is totally tounge-in-cheek and with the utmost respect and admiration for what Spoon has created.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.