Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Ring of Fire Changes

Discussion in 'Release 74 Feedback' started by Jesper Daelin, Jan 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jesper Daelin

Jesper Daelin Avatar

As a long time user of fire magic. I did some testing of the Ring of Fire changes.with and without the undying ember buff.

Noticed a couple things.

• Focus
      • Cost increase: 77-19 focus cost (1x - 6x charge) on Live. Increased to 99-57 focus on QA
        • Did not do extensive combat but 57 focus for 6x cast seems reasonable
    • Timer Bugs
      • Live & QA - Mouseover hotbar tooltip - duration does not increase with charge
      • QA -Fire resist debuff longer than DoT - Resist debuff matches current Live server value(see attached img)
    • Damage
      • Raw damage unaffected
      • DoT Duration slightly lowered - ~20% reduction
        • Still excessive
      • Duration of AoE reduced significantly >50% ( 81s - 38s @ 6x charge )
        • Duration too short IMO

[​IMG]
    Ramblings
    Atos mentioned wanting to "slow fire mages down" I agree that ring of fire is over powered. I do not agree that the changes will help with more than creating frustration. Focus cost incease is nice but I still think it might be moot.

If the duration of the AOE is left short a decrease in charge time would be expected since staring at a progress bar is the least fun part of combat and we now have to cast a spell that is almost required to be 6x twice as often.(frustration) ROF and Fireball(arrow a bit too) have very slow cast times compared to... melee for instance, making charged casting much less exciting. forcing more spell progress bars into our rotation will result in a less appealing playstyle. *yawn*

In my opinion Ring of fire changes should be reversed. Duration of the placed AoE should be left a long duration. The duration of the DoT should not last 40s(Current QA value w/o artifacts).

Why?

Currently on live I will cast a ring of fire, run around grab all the mobs run them through the ring 1 time and they'll die with very little else due to the long duration of the DoT. If I can still round everything up in the first 40s and get them hit by the ring they'll burn another 40s after and probably die. If the AoE stays but the DoT falls off after 6-10s it shortens my "leash" and makes it so I must fight in smaller, more dangerous area. This is why I imagine that shortening the DoT duration and leaving the AOE duration long would be a better "fix".

In other inspired musings I think it would be great to make RoF & other AOEs an offensive/defensive ability.
    -(offensive) If the caster stands in the ring they gain fire dmg, fire crit, & aggro (maybe also dmg taken).
    -(Defensive) If the enemy is in dmg area or w/in a radius of 5 of the dmg area they acquire a -fire resist debuff (remove from dmg component)

-Jesper

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    RadRyan, Sentinel2, Elgarion and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.