Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Root Spell Dies, Glyph Combat Lives!

Discussion in 'Release 9 Feedback' started by TEK, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

In general I thought R9 was a hell of a lot of fun to play, when it wasn't being plagued by crashing issues that I had, but for it doesn't take away from the enjoyment I had when it did run. I just wanted to point out 2 things:

1. Glyph combat....is F'n awesome to play. With combos appearing in R9, it made for creating a deeper strategy of building a character. I ended up with a bow/fire/death mage in light armor. When it came to actually fighting in PvP, I had the feeling of the back and forth "dance" that I had with early UO combat...something a lot of us are wanting. With some players I could win a 3 on 1 fight, while other players had more of a mastery of the system than I, and made fights very tough. I like that kind of uncertainty in a fight that involves a lot of actual player skill.

So my message to the Devs on glyph combat. You have something truly gold here, you have found the magical FUN factor, so don't waiver in making glyph combat the new standard for SotA and future games. Long Live Glyph Combat!

2. Root spell conveniently broke while speed boost spells/abilities added. Rejoice! To me, Root not working correctly seemed to be working as intended and the Speed boosts you got from Earth magic and Light armor gave meleers the alternative way to run down targets. With less fights being about root spam where players lost control of their character for many seconds while they got pummeled, it led to combat to being a hell of a lot more fun. For myself, there was never a point where I was left cussing at the screen because I died to someone while being stuck with root/stun spam. My doctor tells me that is a good thing.

If relying more on speed boosts of a player rather than root/stun of another player was the intended purpose of R9 or not, I seriously applaud the effort and as far as I am concerned that is exactly the right way to go.
    Die Root Spell! Die!

2. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

As a melee character, whenever i saw an archer attacking me was like..."Hell, not again....death". Then i learned to surprise them from high terrain or sea with bludgeon stuns xD.

Anyways i had a lot of fun.

3. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Yes, the bludgeon stuns were very brutal, yet not enough to say it was stun spam. That said, I there was a group of players all with liche axes.....there would be a lot of death in their wake.

4. Retro

Retro Avatar

I agree with you on all points, but just to play devil's advocate, here is my problem with the current system:

Effective PVP almost forces you to arrive at the build you mentioned above....Bow/staff or wand, Fire (eley, flame arrow, Air (lightning), death magic and light armor. This synergy is hard to beat, Ranged attacks, no fizzle, no slugs, stuns, speed and PVP wise I was at my deadliest with this combination....and I tested a lot of build combinations this release.

There is almost ZERO reason to use chain, leather armor, shields and 90% of the current weapons besides style preference...(and you'll be in a massive disadvantage in PVP if you go for style)

You'll notice in PVP the only weapons being used are: Lich Axe, Satyr Axe, Eleven Bow, 2-handed battle axe, Vanduul pole-arm, Halberd, 2-handed sword, staff and wand...and once in a while a 1-handed sword, and for armor it's only; naked, cloth or full plate...I didn't see ANYONE PVP in leather, chain, use a shield or many 1-handed weapons this release in PVP.

Dual short swords and daggers looks sooooo cool, but it's sooooo useless in PVP right now, (Not bad for PVE however) Dev team please try to find a way to make all armors and weapons feel useful in PVP...

Heavy armor badly needs two new really expensive skills (point cost wise, 3-4 per rank), that reduces fizzle chance \ focus cost for casting in armor.

Thanks great release BTW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.