Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Root will no longer root any boss, suspected unfair nerf

Discussion in 'Release 31 Bug Forum' started by Fister Magee, Jul 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Root used to root things bigger than usual mobs. I could root a troll for over 10 seconds.This was admittedly overpowered, and the nerf came (Root's nerf was back in R24 or something.. I assumed the nerf was fair, and didn't report until now).. now strength apparently affects root (and other stuns or no??) and the troll and all other bosses seem to be unaffected entirely by Root.

BUT

I can stun the troll with the shield skills Charge and Shield Bash.. other skills may also work better than Root, and Root is designed with such a purpose.. should these spells also be affected by the troll's strength, or is there a long-standing bug with Root? Or is Root simply gimped because it is counter-acted by the targets strength, and forever will be useless against large mobs?

Please find out if Root is buggy, or working as intended. Also, are all stuns affected by the creatures strength? If so, are the other stun skills working within the same boundaries as Root? Should they?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This sounds like it's working as intended. Root was designed to have its duration decreased based on target strength. If a target's strength is high enough, it's possible you may get roots off but with a 0 duration value.

Can you clarify what you're observing with Stun? Is stun affecting bosses for long durations? Is it possible to stun-lock bosses?

Fister Magee likes this.
  3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

The stuns mentioned (the shield tree) act as the description of the skill says, and stuns the boss as it should.. at around 1 second for Shield Smash, and around 3 seconds for Charge. Since root never does this (yes, it shows the Root icon for a moment on the boss's buff bar) I was curious if all stuns are going to be gimped as badly as root? Or is this the extent of stun nerfs? Air was just hit with a nerf, and used to be amazing at holding bosses.. but I've heard that was nerfed the same as Root and is no longer as useable to defeat a boss using it, as easily as in the past anyway.

As for stun-locking a boss, I haven't tried casting constant stuns, but I bet it is possible with these two stuns.. unless the cc thing helps the boss here? I will try to stun-lock a boss this evening.

I am a solo player most of the time, but I am sure with a few more players stunning him with certain and useable stuns, a boss could be held down fairly easily, but I have not tried with a party. I think I can get enough glyphs in my deck to stunlock him, but to cause enough damage to kill him may be another matter. :) If I were using fire DOT though... hmmm...

TL:DR - Root doesn't stun any boss for a reasonable duration, but works normally against every other mob. Charge and Shield Bash both affect a boss the same as any other mob. I cannot currently speak for the Air tree stuns since R31, but in R30 they also were useless against against the bosses, where they used to be quite effective. I know earth tree is affected by Strength, the caster's and the target's.. just wanted to ensure nothing is bugged here.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  4. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This sounds like intended design, with no intend of also changing stuns, unless it's possible to stun a boss into permanent submission.

Golem Dragon and Fister Magee like this.
  5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Thanks for your input! It was worth a shot to see if Root can become awesome again :D Sometimes it is hard to tell how everything else should work, in comparison with everything else! The strength thing with the Earth tree is simply the way it is, since bosses SHOULD have high strength (therefore Root is completely useless, afaik on boss mobs) :) I'll let you know if I find a way to stun-lock a boss, I am looking for such a thing. ;)

6. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

@Attenwood Just a question regarding Root.. I wonder why Root says such a value of 237.2% chance of stun.. it seems like an odd number to be a percentage! Does this percentage matter in any way? Put it to 100% or remove that number maybe? It always stuns any mob, except bosses, maybe it can say that instead?

7. agra

agra Avatar

It says that because of the stacking resist buff that can exceed 100%. If something is rooted 6 times, it has a 120% chance to resist rooting, for example.

Fister Magee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.