Salvaging elven woodwind long bows

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Bonulino, Feb 27, 2024.

1. Bonulino

Bonulino Avatar

What is the chance that salvaging an elven woodwind long bow will yield an elven bowstring? I have looted a bunch of these and salvaged them but have yet to get a bowstring.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's very likely dependent on your carpentry salvage skill level.

3. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

My carpentry salvage is 130 and I get 1 or 2 strings when I salvage them. But I can't remember if the +1 bows have chance for the speed or precesion strings vs. Elven strings but it seems to be 8-10%

vj

4. Bonulino

Bonulino Avatar

My carpentry salvage skull is 94. What level do I have to get it to start seeing elven bowstrings show up in my salvage attempts?

5. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

As far as I am aware, during salvaging there is a chance for a specific type of bowstring to drop only when the bow already has that type of string.

If you hover your mouse-pointer over any item, and then press and hold the control key, you can see more details about the item.
    So,hover your mouse over an elven bow that was dropped as loot, then press and hold control, you will see if the bow has no special strings or if it has special strings (elven strings, Imbued Elven Bow String of Precision, Imbued Elven Bow String of Speed).

The same is true for many other special items that come from salvaging, such as elven hilts, mossy handles, savage handles, bandit blades, etc.
    So, if you are not getting the material you are seeking, maybe you are salvaging equipment that does not contain the item. Hover your mouse-pointer over any item, then press and hold the control key...and you can see if the item you are planning on salvaging actually has the item you are seeking.

I am not sure, but it may be possible that these rare materials have a very low rate of dropping from equipment in which they are not present.
    However, they definitely have a chance of dropping when they are present in the item you are salvaging.

Some example pics using the hover-over and control-press info:
    • TorcDawl Bashers - notice that they are all the same except the type of handle they have.
    • Elven Estoc - one has an elven hilt, the other does not.
    • Elven woodind longbow - one has elven bow strings the other has no special strings at all. I did not have any bows with Imbued strings, but they would list the imbued strings when using the control key.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    Sentinel2, FrostII and Alley Oop like this.
  6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Rinaldi's post is usually right. it is SUPPOSED to be how that works. however, i have been told it IS possible to get elven bowstrings from elven bows that don't show them in their pop-up. it's on my list of things to investigate once i get my head wrapped around the salvage system a little more.

FrostII and Rinaldi like this.
  7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I would guess that's probably a holdover from before mobs started dropping + weapons; I seem to recall the odds being better if the item dropped with better components, but still getting them from regular bows too.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I believe that the +1 bows will only drop precision strings.