Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Salvaging

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Sara Dreygon, May 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Just a few comments on salvaging.

Right now I can stay at level 1 salvaging and seemingly just collect the producer XP as I salvage but I don't see much drawback. What's to make me want to level up? I think this skill needs low levels to not get much scrap and have this ramp up to current scrap numbers at higher level.

Scrap needs to be diversified. Was making a set of Bronze plate (takes a lot of time) and I messed up on the leggings and accidentally made a quarter chest. After some cussing (wasted like 15 tin) I thought... hmmm... let me scrap this and see what happens. I got 2 metal scrap and 2 leather scrap :eek:. Salvaging alloyed metals like Bronze, Constantan, etc. needs to yield something of value, right? I'm thinking that the "loot" tables of these materials should include some of the base materials. I'm not saying it should include Bronze or White Iron scraps but it should also contain some Tin, Suet, etc., right?

Thoughts? What does everyone think about the "loot" tables for alloyed materials (and even Obsidian) and how to make them more rewarding for salvaging semi precious materials (including gem enchantments)?

@GingerLoaf

2. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I think the amount of each scrap type you get should increase with level. You should still get a feasible return at the lowest level.

Also as your salvaging skill gets into the higher levels, you should start getting some extra bonus materials, fuels, or full components used in the recipe for the item. At the highest level salvage, you get a bonus to repair skill, and nearly always "rescue" full components from salvage materials (like an axe head, a wooden pole, etc).

Similarly, highest level repair should give a bonus to salvage skill.

3. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I agree, when your skill gets high enough, you should be able to salvage components like handles & spear heads from the salvage... Yards of leather, bolts of cloth, now if you want materials, you salvage it again for woods & threads... As far as loot goes, I want to see where they're going before making further suggestions... But they were talking about different eles dropping different ore type, crystal types I hope too...

4. GingerLoaf

GingerLoaf Developer Emeritus

The salvaging code currently does consider your salvage skill level as far as what you will get back. We have code in place to prevent a user from getting back more value than the item being broken down. This means that we will try to give you back better items when your level is higher, but will never give you back an accumulated value higher than the source item.

We are doing work this release to fix some of the salvage design, so look for those changes coming down the pipeline :).

Aldo, Link_of_Hyrule, Chatele and 7 others like this.
  5. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Are you basing this on value of material going into the item or the neutered NPC vendor cost of the completed item? Currently, the item value is so upside down based on the resources going into it.

Also, I gotta agree that we need to eventually start getting rid of the default metal/wood/cloth junk scrap and start having it based on what the material is actually made of. Scrapping rusty iron swords should not allow us to make more gold bars and ingots. Not sure how hard that adjustment to code would be, but that has always frustrated me about current scrap design.

Really looking forward to the upcoming changes you guys have planned. 8^)

Ice Queen and Fister Magee like this.
  6. GingerLoaf

The value is the base value of the item, I believe... not using crafted component values. One of the reasons this became very difficult is that we have a lot of items you find out in the world that have no crafted history and we can't pull from the crafted values. I will keep these issues in mind while iterating on the salvage design :).

Chatele, Noric, Duke Raas and 2 others like this.
  7. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

That is an interesting problem I hadn't considered. I see how that would mean having to have multiple code loops that have to be jumped through. I suppose a way to fix that would be to give a basic crafted history to every decoration and NPC spawn item that doesn't have one (i.e. default it by a script on generation), but that would definitely be a headache to sort out.

Ice Queen and Sara Dreygon like this.
  8. GingerLoaf

Well we are approaching this problem with fresh perspective and looking for a good solution to the problem. I appreciate your feedback and understanding of the problem :).

Noric and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  9. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Is there any more information on the original intention to have player crafted gear populate the loot/decoration tables? This might help with some of the generic item generation issues that you were talking about. Though I know we don't craft anywhere near enough to cover everything that's out there now...

10. Noric

Noric Avatar

Great to hear the devs are looking to improve this system- I'll be sure to test any related changes!

GingerLoaf and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  11. agra

agra Avatar

As long as we get more than 3 metal scraps from a triangle shield (the heaviest/largest metal loot in the game?) then I'll be happier. ;)

Ice Queen, GingerLoaf, Noric and 2 others like this.
  12. GingerLoaf

Haha, that would make sense, wouldn't it?

Moiseyev Trueden and Noric like this.
  13. GingerLoaf

We appreciate that a lot :)

14. GingerLoaf

I am not entirely sure at this moment. I will bring it up :)

15. Noric

Noric Avatar

2h hammers are like this too. At 10 weight a piece but low value(esp rusty) i always discard them in the field.

GingerLoaf, Moiseyev Trueden and agra like this.
  16. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

You have no idea about the amount of panties I am going to craft in preparation for this come final wipe.

Budner and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  17. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

True, but with Budner around I still stand by my original statement.

Budner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.