Selective multiplayer+drop chance solution.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinok, Mar 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

@Chris
    There are a bunch of people who like to play privately.
    There are a bunch of people who want to play MMO.

Pretty sure I have a great idea to make them both satisfied:

1) All goods and commodities(or crafted items made from "MP commodities") gained in multiplayer online get marker "MP".
    2) All goods and commodities(or crafted items made from "private commodities") gained in private mode get marker - "private".
    3) They cannot be mixed or stacked.
    4) All ''Private" marked items are NOT tradable, cannot be placed on the vendor, the only owner can put or get it from the chest, the only owner can use those items in any mode.
    5) Significantly raise drop chance in both multiplayer and private mode.
    6) All items which are in the game now get NO marker and stay not changed.
    7) It can be tested and easily implemented - we already have not tradable items.
    8) The terrible practice of instance respawn will end.

What this solve:
    A) The market would not be flooded by goods earned in private mode(exploited, botted , cheated and etc),
    B) Loot chance will increase significantly - ALL would love it.
    C) Endless conflict between MMO and private adepts would finally have the end. Everybody will play the way they love and not prevent another group from doing the same.
    D) MMO will finally get REAL competition for resources.

P.S. I understand that many people like to earn in private mode then sell it to other players(By the fact benefit from MMO but not participate in it),- it is just NOT honest, I just want those group to be less selfish and think about game health.

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Um if you want to play privately and not have the items tradable in Multi there is a solution.

It is the offline mode.

3. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Nope - terrible idea, sorry.

FrostII, Chatele, Cyin and 1 other person like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is already available. It's called offline mode.

StarLord, FrostII and Cyin like this.
  5. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

How can you think this is a good idea?

Do you REALLY believe there is enough space and respawns in this game for the population as is, let along as it grows.
    Without private mode most areas would be completely empty of mobs etc.

Now probably not too bad for me, as i'm not on a US time zone. There is nowhere near enough high level zones for this to be workable in my opinion. When a single high level player can clear an entire zone of spawns and mine of ore that means you need equivalent scenes to players.....

I know most MMOs are not instanced like this, BUT in reality they are, though shards and end game content being around raid dungeons. These dungeons are instanced. Instancing is how you make the content scale with the player base.

Games that are single sharded generally have content that is procedurally generated so they can create more space dynamically as more player come online. Eve for example has more asteroid belts than the player base could ever mine out, they have missions that spawn on demand (so very similar to private multiple mode). In a single sharded world scarcity has to be based on player time investment not resource availability or people will login and there is no room for them to play in.

Supply becomes a function of player time alone, what is lacking in this game is DEMAND. Limiting supply like this will just cause players to logout as they have nothing to do as higher level players are already using all the better farming spots.

Regards
    Spung

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    FrostII, disorder, Chatele and 2 others like this.
  6. Pavlitto

Pavlitto Avatar

the game has a lot of empty or useless locations. they need to settle and then everything will be fine. the world is very big, but now there are no more than 10 locations in which it makes sense to go

Spinok, Dhanas and Humanexperiment like this.
  7. Humanexperiment

Humanexperiment Avatar

great idea!!

Spinok and Dhanas like this.
  8. ThunderFit

ThunderFit Avatar

This is a good idea, but I think first you need to increase the number of high-level locations (6+). As well as the quantity (and quality) of locations for obtaining experience and items to craft from the ceiling in a 1000 experience (applies to locations level 5+, because they will always be empty).

Spinok and Dhanas like this.
  9. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

So without a massive magically appearing dev time to make all the "empty and useless locations" worth while what is being suggested is that the top 10 players get the best spots and EVERYONE else has to "settle".....

<sarcasm>Great player experience</sarcasm>

New player starts, new player has fun, new player becomes a more experience player, player hits a brick wall where he can not compete and get no access to the higher content, so cant advance quickly enough to compete. => Player leaves game.

The only play styles this change helps is high level gathers and PvPers. Makes a worse experience for ALL other play styles....

I'll pass on that as a design goal thanks very much.

Regards
    Spung

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    FrostII and Cyin like this.
  10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

The OP has the best example of Segregation!

Cyin likes this.
  11. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I understand the concern about botters and cheaters. I even understand the temptation to destroy a whole mode of play (the single player mode) just to catch and eliminate the small percentage of people who cheat. What I don't understand is why those same people do not realize that hoards of people "cheat" (using the same logic) by obtaining their experience and loot just by standing around folks who are actively playing. These people are so proud of their stats, gathered by others and essentially given to them yet not realizing that this is a form of botting, cheating too. You end up with people at adv level 100+ who are incapable of surviving alone in near all zones because their skills are not real.

12. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

Lack of resource competition has always been a problem. Not sure how it can be fixed. This particular system would work but would upset a lot of people. So, probably won't happen.

13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

ta DA da , but when brought up in the beginning I was told "this will not happen" . . . . Member, member

Cordelayne likes this.
  14. Pavlitto

Pavlitto Avatar

Yes, let's build useless rooms in the useless dungeons...populate an empty world in the game is not necessary, of course.

Dhanas likes this.
  15. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

It can be fixed by ignoring resource competition (as many games do) and make player demand scale at higher rate than player supply with player size.
    So even though the resources are not scarce, there is not enough time in the day to collect them all to meet the player demand.

An example of this type of mechanics that was changed was deadly poison potions. No amount of farming nightshade could meet the player demand. As it was a way to grind producer XP that did not cost gold. So at 3G per unit there was an infinite demand from PLAYERS (not the vendor) as they could take that and invest time to turn it into producer XP for only the time investment.

See part two of my doc here, i put this in a post a few weeks ago.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IVY8EZKc82g-Ic7pNXuhq5DAUFJothtutwAYL06anHQ/edit?usp=sharing

Regards
    Spung

16. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Spinok suggested to make just resources obtainable in multi traddable, He didn't say to remove friend mode, a newb can still grind in friend mode if He needs to farm adv xp or crafting, just can't partecipate in the market. There are realy lot of empty map in sota i Think this is a great idea for make ppl move from the usualy 4-5 maps. It's a Total bullshit saying high lvl player will have everything, a group a players can probably generate more aggro on mobs that 1 single player and this of course discentivize playing in solo and drive ppl to form group.
    I know competition and reward risk is not very well seen in this game, but others successfull sandbox around have this and i hope goal of sota is gathering more players and not feeding the usual whales that want a super safe game. Just a little percentage of mmorpg gamers want a safe game with no risk.

17. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

'Thus is the world in which you are born, live and die.'

18. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I think something like this would make a lot more sense for some things than others. It probably wouldn't bother me at all if boss loots, blueprints, and other high value things gained in single player couldn't be traded in multi. On the other hand, if the same thing were done to resources, it would create such a shortage of tradeable resources that there basically wouldn't be a resource market and everyone would be forced to gather their own.

Also, y'all need to stop trying to ascribe sinister motives to people who play single/friends every time that you talk about this stuff. Most people just like having the option of being able to do what they want and when they want, regardless of what other people are doing, and alone or just with friends if that's what they feel like. It's not because they're dishonest or scared or mega farming death bots, so please stop with that. It gets really old.

Cyin, Alley Oop and Aldo like this.
  19. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Aggro means nothing, this game is killing blow. Sword users with Coup de grace will nearly always win a boss competition against any other build. Higher level players will do more alpha and probably have more attack speed increasing their chance to winning the loot. All the aggro does is stop that player needing to tank....
    An AOE or immolate from a high level player will probably steal half the kills of normal mobs off any group that is not comparable in strength regardless of number of players in the group.

So no, that does not work.

Cyin likes this.
  20. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

And this is where your argument does not hold with me. I played Eve Online for 13 years, non consensual PvP EVERYWHERE, full loot with 50% destruction. Played Archage for 2 years (only stopped because to get better needed too much pay to win) and all high level areas are PvP. Played WoW (ages ago) and chose to play on a PvP server.

I have no problem with competition, i have a problem when there is no competition just PvPers and victims or high level plays being able to bully and steam roll newer players. Which is exactly what you are suggesting here. In games that the central design focus is around this PvP they are designed to not give the aggressors such a massive advantage that there is no competition.

Over supply is just the flip side of the coin to under demand. Create content to increase demand that scales with the player base. Then do market PvP rather than collecting PvP for the economy.

Oh an by the way Eve which is completely designed around risk vs reward and has arguably the best economy of any MMO does not have resource scarcity. There is more resources and it re-spawns faster than the entire player base could EVER collect it even if they left each other alone and farmed it 24/7. So again there are other solutions.

Regards
    Spung

Cyin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.