Shadows and Noise Shader

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by benhat, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benhat

benhat Avatar

Hi,
    a technical question and suggestion.
    At the moment shadows or dark areas have very!! visible noise patterns, the noise is too strong. It is more obvious in higher quality settings, because shadows are darker.
    So i don't know what your plan is up to release. But this has been around for a very long time now. So i wanted to bring this to attention for whatever it is worth.
    There are smoother solutions like "blue noise". Or even shader approaches that let you set different noise values for different area brightness. I don't know how bad the banding is without noise, so just lowering the current noise might be enough for a start.
    As far as i am able to see things in game, the major issue of banding may be a product of how shadows are rendered in the first place. Not really banding therefore. Very hard slopes and cuts from light to shadow instead of smooth transitions. (unity) Maybe you were trying to tackle this with the noise and backfires?

Here is a picture to clarify
    Take a look at the stairs, at the cloth armor etc. I am at 1080p btw in game, so if you are at a higher resolution you will not see it that much because of downsampling
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.