Should PvP Be Removed Altogether From SotA?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Blake Blackstone, Jun 28, 2016.

?

Get Rid of PVP?

1. Yes.

36 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No.

126 vote(s)
    77.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Also, PVPers arent an unbeatable foe. Pkers usually operate in small numbers. You just gather up some friends and go into the shardfall. Not that scary really.

2. Gix

Gix Avatar

Oh, I'm not suggesting that PvP is good as it is; far form it. It's why I haven't participated in PvP in SotA in a long time... which is also why I disagreed with a portion of your post and suggested we focus on making it fun for everyone instead.

I'm saying that what most people think of when they're describing PvP for SotA is only "fun" for one group of players: the ones who wins the exchange. PvP has to be set up so that the loser will want to get back up and want some more.

I'm saying that giving "incentives" for those who currently don't find it fun isn't the solution either.

Personally, I gave up on PvP when Portalarium kept their stance on how players flag for PvP. Which is sad because I've never NOT PvPed in an MMO before. It has nothing to do with me winning or losing, it has everything to do with the idea that some of you think "looting a corpse" makes or breaks the PvP in a game... and somehow I'M the one who's considered less of a PvPer by disagreeing.

Loot is that way -> PvE.

3. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Agreed. This stuff is for the birds, man.
    I can appreciate an RP (or non-RP) PvP tourney, but that's really all there is right now. For the true open-world PvP, we need a larger population, badly. I dont know if 'final wipe' is going to bring in those numbers though, and if it does what will be the retention rate when they see a buggy mess.
    The future isn't bright enough for me to put on my shades...yet, we'll see how it goes.

4. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Game is not ready for persistence.. December launch should be the last wipe.

Blake Blackstone likes this.
  5. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I just dont know how to really get this done. By adding exclusive stuff to the shardfalls, it might bring in people. I prefer group PvP where you have different people performing different tasks. Its far more of a rich PvP experience.

To Gix' post, with the way things work now, Im at a loss on how to make it better. Outside of putting exclusive items in the shardfalls. How do you get people to PvP? I agree that the flagging is nonsense.

Oba Evesor likes this.
  6. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Me neither. I think upping resource values in PvP areas could help. I have a feeling we'd run into the same folks in those places over and over, as they harvest for the crafters that wont go in there.

Just a strait up PvP world wouldve been my preference. With a large enough population the PvPers and PvEers seem to segregate themselves in those situations. There will always be PK's, but the way the loot system works you can just get your stuff back (except the trophy bones).

I know we've talked about a bunch of ideas for upping PvP participation. I cant think of a single one right now! o_O:confused:

Blake Blackstone likes this.
  7. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I haven't PVP'd much at all in SotA... but I do intend to participate in some brawling, tournaments, and beat-downs. I'll partake in PVP however it turns out, but my preference would be something tied to game mechanics and content.

-If I needed to PVP to obtain certain mats... that'd be one way to keep me engaged.
    -If loot was proportional and the only way I could fight another player or group of players for full loot would be to have suitably matched skills - that would motivate me to level up and practice.
    -If the Oracle exclusively rewarded PVP somehow... not so much the ransom system - but some way to acknowledge proven warriors... with a title or skill or some special decorations that have in-game abilities.. something to achieve. I'd be more inclined to flag (and stay flagged) if there were achievements and kit that I could fold into PVE and/or RP.

Roper Docholiday and Oba Evesor like this.
  8. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

These could be tied together. Chris discussed having full loot PvP areas in the last Post Mortem (between all the weird blood stuff there was some info in that:p). If these areas had extremely rare/high nodes, that had to be harvested by a group (these would be off limit areas in single player, no need to accommodate that), then that would be a good start.

This is a great idea too. Along with our weapons getting names (troll slayer or whatever), there should be titles for us. We have the 'Kill 5000 Players' achievement in Steam, appropriate in-game titles for these types of achievements should be bestowed by The Oracle!

Duke Avery likes this.
  9. sephious

sephious Avatar

um...if they get rid of PVP I will quit the game and demand a refund....

blaquerogue likes this.
  10. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

And make it work something like crafting skills... after so many kills at a certain level (or of a certain level) they don't count anymore - so you are not only forced to advance your own skills, but you have to start hitting at or above your own weight class to advance. Keep integrity in the fights and make the real wins count toward something. Officially mix it all into the lore and have the Oracle bestow rewards that are epic, rare, practically unobtainable, and meaningful in the PVP and PVE worlds. You know, if PVP could be more integrated into the PVE world, it could influence how I build and promote my POT... just sayin.

Oba Evesor likes this.
  11. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

What I don't understand is I keep reading people are getting PK'd. If you don't want to be PK'd don't belong to a PvP guild or do not raise your PvP flag, how is this so difficult? Avoid PvP towns and you won't be flagged PvP, and if you are flagging your self by accident, there is an option to turn on the warning before you commit to a PvP act. PvP isn't a problem for those who wish to participate in it, if you don't like getting killed, again simple solution do not participate. PvP is and always will be a big part of any MMORP game. I guess I don't understand why people want it gone and please don't bring up real life because this is a game, not real life. Anyways, i've said my part, sorry if I've offended anyone, this is NOT my intentions but let's give it a rest and close the topic. PvP has and always will be part of these games because that's what many people enjoy doing when they're not out gathering material or crafting. Some people need to do something to let off some steam anyways after a long day at work :p

StarLord and blaquerogue like this.
  12. Curt

Curt Avatar

What should be removed is the opportunity to attack a pvp flagged without being flagged yourself.
    Way to much griefing that way

blaquerogue likes this.
  13. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The OP made this thread as a proposal to address the PVP just like what Johnathan Swift published "a Modest Proposal" as a way to address the famine in Ireland if you know what I mean :)

Cairo likes this.
  14. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

Originally Shardfalls were supposed to have exclusive rare resources that would be important for high end gear but that idea and other potential features were abandoned for some reason. Now it's only a "higher rate" of rare resources which will never really be balanced in the aspect of risk vs reward.

Interesting that as a game removes risk vs reward features and systems from its virtual world, it creates the opportunity to implement a micro-transaction hell in its place.

Blake Blackstone and blaquerogue like this.
  15. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

Not everybody crafts high end gear with masterworks & enchants so what do we do, we pay for it. I suppose the same should hold true for this, if you can't fight your way to the exclusive rare resources, pay for it. That's why they are considered exclusive rares. If it were that easy to get to them it wouldn't be rare :p

Acred and blaquerogue like this.
  16. Gix

Gix Avatar

To be honest, I'm not sure either.

There's no faction affiliation to allow random players to feel connected with other players. Virtue vs Chaos, maybe? Don't pick a side straight out but grow into a particular faction based on your moral choices... or stay neutral? That'd be one way to connect everything with the Oracle.
    - Don't make players have to waste their time filling out guild registration forms before they can feel like they can contribute to a greater whole.

Not everyone will know where the Shardfalls are (much less know they even exists). We still have new players asking about the Hidden Vale. Have PvP areas near low-level areas and CLEARLY MARKED as PvP. Hiding PvP arenas like in Ardoris or Owls Head or on islands or whatever isn't helping anyone.
    - If players don't know without looking at a wiki, they can't participate. If they have to look at a wiki, then it breaks the flow of the game.

Give reasons for players to preemptively flag for PvP even while they're questing. Other games tend to force you depending on the zone, this game's world structure is open and, with the way it's currently setup, no one really cares about flagging themselves.
    - It doesn't give any benefits.
    - It gives non-PvPers an upper-hand if they feel like griefing. It's one thing to be ganked, but another to be ganked by someone who should've been flagged in the first place.

Those are, in my opinion, the fundamental flaws of SotA's PvP. That and the combat is unpolished, unbalanced with no real reason to actually BE running around fighting.

17. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

In my opinion, NO.

18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I've not read any of the thread beyond the subject line. I promised long ago that I would make no comment about the execution of PvP so long as I was able to opt out of it.

My answer is No, it would be a lesser game without PvP.

19. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Im a fan of this also , group pvp when people have roles and cohesion makes it fun for me , I enjoy spectating the turnys but i don't enjoy participating but as a pvper I will support any of my friends and the turnys they put on.

20. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Idea:
    A full-loot underground PvP zone, that has 'Rift-mines' with exceptional nodes. The Rifts have to be held open for the miners to go in and mine. They have to maintain the rift in an open status for the nodes to work.
    Based on an 8 man party;
    4 Fighters open the rift-mines, a few miners go in, those 4 fighters have to hold a point/position to keep the rift open. A scout can go out doing the scout thing. 8 people.
    If the fighters are disrupted (attacked) the rift closes, trapping the miners (not really, the nodes just wont work, they can climb out of the mine and into the melee if need be, or recall out of there if they dont wish to be looted).

Win or lose outside the rift-mine the miners are safe, for a time. Should they choose not to crawl out of the mine they will have time to recall home as the attackers try to reopen the rift, if they have a scroll. If not? Probably going to be looted. :)

Back on Topic:
    There are a lot of things that could help PvP. Bigger parties would help right away. 24 man parties would make group PvP more possible.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    sake888 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.