Should SotA switch to an isometric view?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Apr 14, 2014.

?

Should SotA switch to an isometric view?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2014.
  1. Yes, I loved the isometric view of the Ultimas and it could solve some problems.

34.9%
  2. No, a third person view looks much better and they should concentrate on improving the graphics.

39.7%
  3. I would love to have first person view!

14.3%
  4. I don't care what view I am playing the game in.

11.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floors

Floors Avatar

Thanks for contributing something positive.

By the way, nice heraldry.

I like the vision for the over world map. Unlike most people I could see where it was going and I didn't want to go back to that other thing in a hurry. But looks like we are anyway, so... we'll see how happy people are about it after R5.

However, in this thread, we're talking about the possibility of isometric view for the main part of the game, which isn't really the same thing.

As far as the couple pre-alpahs, rune_74 who I usually agree with (at least in the PvP threads), is deployed to a remote location with some military group of some kind, and he doesn't have access to the game as easily as some of us.

I just wanted to make sure that he actually played it because last month, when he first came to notice, he had trouble even doing stuff like watching videos so I assume downloading the patcher might be difficult for him.

I was trying to see if his complaints about single player were based off real data from the last release, and I found out that he hasn't played since R1. That is what that is about.

On a more conceptual level, we're all backers and we are all Avatars and have the same stature on the forums.

But if you think that I think someone that paid 10,000 dollars to support the game deserves more respect from me than someone that paid 45 dollars then, yes, you are correct.

2. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

You seem to be missing the point the single player we want is for the offline Ultima experience with companions not the SPO MMO housing gameplay.
    And even you have not played that have you.

3. Floors

Floors Avatar

This thread is about isometric views not single player.

I have played single player. I don't think companions will work well with a 3D model system;

especially not the 8 companions of old the single player only people seem to be fixated on.

I can't think of a single game where it's successfully been done in 3D, do you know a good one I can check out ?

You know more than just one or two other drone units, like 4 or 5 companions at least ?

I'm more interested in the multiplayer aspect of this game, which seems to rightfully be it's focus...

4. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Like you said this is about isometric views so you prove the point for the isometric view. To get an Ultima experience we have to change to isometric view.

5. Floors

Floors Avatar

I don't disagree that isometric would work better for people that want a recreated single player Ultima. Yes, most likely, that's what SP Ultima really was. party based, tiles, isometric view.

But that's not what this game is going to be... it's obviously designed as a multiplayer game first and foremost and has a SPO mode just because they can as a kind of bonus.

Watching all the deep dives made that pretty obvious. I gotta jet to go to a party tho, so I'll leave you all to it.

6. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

(answering a couple of quick lines...)

Dragon Age? I thought that one did fairly well in this regard.

You do? Ultima Underworlds 1 and 2 as well as Ultima 9 are shocked to hear this. Well for that matter, let's throw in Akalabeth - Ultima 5 dungeons as well.

tradyblix likes this.
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

The only problem I have with this is that we asked many times during the kickstarter and was told SPO isn't just a bonus. Many of us don't see it that way. Single player offline was added afterwords and that you could say is a bonus.

8. Floors

Floors Avatar

Dragon Age... hmm I don't remember what it looked like with companions.

But to be fair - it's a "AAA" game. I hate typing that.

Maybe not a fair comparison to SoTA budget wise.

But I dunno. Maybe companions are no big deal in the game. Would be cool if the devs updated us on that.

Well, we'll see, won't we ? I have my reservations on any single player people ever being happy with Episode 1. But you never know.

It is kind of telling, I must say that LB was saying something to the effect of "You won't *really* want to play in SP offline mode for a long time period, because you'll be out of sync and you won't get all the great content from online".

I think it was in the multiplayer deep dive, it's in there somewhere. It did make me think, well what's the point of all these extra modes then....

9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but it doesn't sound like you understand the different modes.

When LB said you wouldn't want to play the single player offline it was because you wouldn't see the changes happening to the world.

SPO = single player online (note still single player) He figures would be the best choice for those wanting the single player experince due to interacting with players shopkeepers and seeing changes in the world. Plus you have the ability to jump into FPO or OPO when you feel like it and possibly even PVP. However it should still play as a single player game with the bponus of the changing world.

10. Floors

Floors Avatar

Right. But what I mean is... there's the SPO (online single player) mode that is preferred, but there's also a contemplated mode (we've never been able to play in the alphas because it's been greyed out)

that is for Single Player Offline. Like, no online connection, no houses from the online world, no updates from the online world.

I was just wondering... what really is the point of that at all ? How is that going to work and feel in anyway or look in anyway like SPO does ?

I guess for people that really have no connection to the internet, but... it's sort of unclear if they don't want you to play in that mode, then why even have it at all ?

11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well that has been one of the questions going around from kickstarter. It really shouldn't look "that" different. They will populate all the lots that are empty with stock houses. (hopefully furnished). You wouldn't have any crafters from other players....but other then those two things the game should play almost exactly the same. Hence why they offered it. Offline will also allow players to add mods to the game if they want...online surely will never do that. Plus, if on depployment or having no internet it is a great thing:p

The reason they really hope that people play online is that it entices and adds to the community if the SPO players are buying from vendors that the FPO and OPO are playing with.

I myself plan on playing SPO because it gives me the option to move up and down the levels of playing if I so choose. Plus I like world wide events that will change.

12. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Not to derail the thread, but it depends on what you mean by successfully integrating 4 or 5 companions. If you mean running around with 4 or 5 companions out at the same time fighting bad guys, I can't think of one. however SWTOR did a good job with most integrating 5 different companions into the story line and with side comments about where they were in the world. For the most part they had different personalities, attack or healing capabilities, used different weapon types, and crafting capabilities. Most of the people I played with enjoyed what was done with companions.

13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I wouldn't need 4, 5 oder more companions running around with me at the same time. I would be happy with 2 or 3, like in Dragon Age or Mass Effect. You can switch between party members in camp or in special places like taverns or your house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.