Signature brewed beers

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by keldonlighthand[BEAR], Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keldonlighthand[BEAR]

keldonlighthand[BEAR] Avatar

Hi
    This is for the development. Is there any chance for the larger more established places for jovial drinking and fun to have a signature recipe for a drink that can only be had from said establishment.
    ie fire lotus spiced red wine, bear tavern: bears bite dark beer.

Just an idea

2. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

That would be great. As long as we don't get too many different drinks. If you get around 100 signature recipes at once there won't be anything special about them. There should be a way to regulate them. Perhaps give certain establishments the chance of having a signature drink, but don't give them that chance at the same time. Rotate who will be able to have one. That way it can become a collectors item (i know some people would be interested in that) and the rest will not get swamped under too many drinks at once.

Lord Lonn likes this.
  3. keldonlighthand[BEAR]

I don't mind lots of signature drinks but should only be for places with high renown and can only be acquired from there and drunk there

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

4. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i heard that they may let you name it as you are finished brewing, so the barrels for aging the whiskeys for example, have the name on it already. however, i generally name mine when i start the fermentation process.

5. keldonlighthand[BEAR]

I was thinking of something tied to the establishment so can only be brewed there and consumed there so it becomes exclusive and something for the establishment to show off that nowhere else has quite the same brew and the recipe to be unique

6. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

While I like that, it would have to be brewed on premises. I'm a brewer not a barkeep, so if have to deliver my wares. Maybe if certain names could be registered to certain craters, with the special ingredients..

7. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Wouldn't this take away from the Edelmann thing a little though? Unless this was an expansion on that reward.

"Brew Beer! - Unique Beer Brewing Ability adhering to the German beer purity law, Reinheitsgebot. Only you will be able to teach this unique beer formula to others!"

8. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

that is one formula/recipe or maybe a few recipes using the formula. there are MANY different types out there that simply do not stick to that formula. doesn't mean this can't coexist, and it should.

even the novice brewer labels their own - maybe let edeleman and higher personalize the label instead of just selecting from a stock name based on the ingredients via dropdown, or something...

i'd hope i could purposefully misspell a couple labels, for vintage and collectable reasons.

9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I do like the idea of the Bear Tavern having its own label ^.^

10. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

and i also want MY own label, to distribute to a select few other inns and taverns.
    i hope to get Thuri's Thrice Brewed Mead out to the world, one day. :)

Themo Lock likes this.
  11. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

and have my own private reserve whiskey, for when Lord British visits

12. keldonlighthand[BEAR]

The eldermann reward can be passed to others to be brewed everywhere what I would like to see is a beer brewed only at one location with just say 3 or 4 people who know the recipe at said location a rare beer indeed

13. King Dane

King Dane Avatar

This is a nice suggestion, but I'm unsure as to how it would function in game. If everyone can make signature brews, then your brew can easily be copied and thus lose its signature purpose, but if only certain prestigious organizations can brew signature brews, then somebody will have to decide who is worthy and who isn't, which would likely discourage small barkeeps that want to open their own bar (and might even lead to resentment).

My suggestion is to take the WoW modern UO approach to rare items: Provide special recipes that can be obtained by anyone, but that are also rare and challenging to get, not unlike the Gauntlet artifacts introduced in the AoS expansion of UO. The benefit of this is that it provides a level playing field while also rewarding more dedicated organizations for their commitment. Once you get one of these special recipes, you should have some degree of control over what goes into it and what it's called.

However, this suggestion is not without its flaws. To touch on a few on them, what's to stop people from farming these recipes and saturating the market with them? Similarly, if the barkeep can determine what goes into the recipe, what incentive is there to use anything but the cheapest ingredients (propylene glycol brew anyone?)? And lastly, if people can name their own brews, no matter how difficult the recipes are to obtain, the TTP will still be relatively short.

TTP stands for Time 'Til Penis, and is a measurement used to determine how long a given playerbase will take to start inserting male genitalia into a game.

14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

What if a new furniture storage type item was used instead of unique recipes. The furniture could be a high end crafted item or some form of epic quest reward. For example it could be "Keg of Ageing" , beers are brewed as normal but when stored in the keg they would gain potency over time. If the option was given to name the keg like a pet, perhaps it could transfer that name like a label in place of the "made by player" tag on the brews. Kegs made from different types of materials could infer different bonuses. This would allow people option for some customization, allow unique labelling and allow the brewing of top shelf ales by leaving them in a keg to age for weeks/months/years.

I come up with the BEST ideas when im on the toilet, just sayin.

15. King Dane

King Dane Avatar

That's a great idea Themo. Regarding who makes the beer, my only concern is that nobody wants to drink beer made by specific member of the Bear Tavern (using them as an example), but rather they want to drink beer made by the Bear Tavern itself. How might this tag be added to the keg without someone naming their character "the Bear Tavern"?

Also, how would these special kegs be obtained?

16. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

That is what i meant by naming the keg itself to replace that player tag. Would probably make most sense if they were created by high level crafters. I don't know, the idea just sort of appealed to me heh

17. King Dane

King Dane Avatar

Aha! That makes even more sense. Naming the keg is a good solution for sure, and offering these kegs as a high-level crafting reward seems much more logical than finding them on the corpses of monsters. To keep them somewhat rare, no doubt a few rare ingredients would need to be required to create such a special keg.

Themo Lock likes this.
  18. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I think it should be easy enough for the devs to make unique items for the taverns. In theory they could clone items and just rename them, so it serves only RP purpose and that shouldn't take too much time. If they wanted unique textures/models then obviously that is extra work.

I would like to see this as a possibility for player made items however. Anything I craft will have a maker's mark. I propose that anything you craft as a final item of a certain quality should enable you to write in a description. When someone hovers over the item, they get to see the description.

So when I brew a beer, it isn't just "Beer made by Erik O'Connor" but rather it you get a description that reads "Roasted malts are combined with spice and cocoa beans in this holiday stout."

Themo Lock and King Dane like this.
  19. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

they are already implementing aging kegs, in some way shape or form for the whiskeys and other spirits.

unsure if it will be the same way you reccomend thermo, but they'll be in there.

Themo Lock and enderandrew like this.
  20. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Oh nice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.