Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Sitting on benches on "wrong side" against walls

Discussion in 'Release 34 Bug Forum' started by Ravalox, Sep 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

9/24/2016 9:20 PM
    Title: Sitting on benches on "wrong side"
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? Yes (get stuck in wall)

Details: Found that the plain benches when placed can be placed with the "front" facing the wall without the player aware due to the lack of "difference" in the asset's appearance.

It is understood that each asset has a "front" side designated for interaction viewing purposes etc; in this case, the benches shown in the example were both placed with their "front" facing the wall unknowingly.

When the benches are placed "incorrectly", The player can get stuck in the wall when trying to sit.

In the first example, I tried clicking on the bench to sit, and my character proceeded to take a walk out of Wasit's house, around the corner and down the alley and then sat down on the bench through the wall. (facing out of the wall).

When trying to stand and walk away, I found that I was stuck in the wall. Wasit moved another chair closer so that I could click on it, and I was able to extricate myself without having to logout and go to Novia on re-entry, or /stuck.

There was another bench in his house and we tried the same thing there. This bench too was placed backwards and I sat facing the wall.

The behavior was corrected by spinning the benches 180 degrees.

so .. possible solution/suggestion:

There are a number of ways to correct this behavior, but the "easiest" may be to identify the front of the asset while placing (while green/red outline is on screen) and place an indicator or even the word "front" (let's say in blue) on the 3d transparent image. (If the back is facing the player, then the word "front" would display backwards - like in a mirror)

Steps to Reproduce: click on an interactable bench to sit when the bench has been placed with the "front" is facing a wall.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8) System RAM: 62286
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti GPU RAM: 6102
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.397.Date.09.22.16
    Area: Brittany Alleys
    Loc: (-144.8, 44.8, -102.1)

Bench #1 before rotating. When was originally placed front is facing wall.
    Note that the bench has no visible characteristics to show which side is the "front".
    [​IMG]

Bench #1 After rotating
    [​IMG]

Bench #2 before rotating. When was originally placed front is facing wall.
    [​IMG]

Bench #2 After rotating
    [​IMG]

2. moko

moko Avatar

Same with the kobold benches/chairs. A way to be aware of the "direction" would be nice. So far my solution was to try at a place where one couldn't get stuck and then try to remember which was front while placing it ;)

Ravalox likes this.
  3. Mischievous Dragon

Mischievous Dragon Riparian Reaper

This one is very likely a known issue. The benches/the chairs/the beds/the stools are not indicating which side is the entrance side while in the Decorating Mode and it is possible to place the entrance side of any furniture incorrectly against any wall or other obstacles while in the Decorating Mode.

4. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This is currently a known issue that we plan to address in the near future. Thank you for reporting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.