Skill decay unfair for casual players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Jan 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

All I have to say about this is that Shroud of the Avatar is a computer game, not reality. It's meant to be fun, and being spanked for not grinding every day is just not fun.

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yeah I don't know anybody who likes to be spanked after grinding.

Ice Queen likes this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL.

Ice Queen likes this.
  4. Paladine

Paladine Avatar

Fully agreed. If skill decay will be a thing, i'll probably not bother to play much. I'm certainly not playing a game out of fear of losing something, but because that game has fun gameplay. If I invest my precious time in playing this game and working toward something, I'll not accept having my progress taken from me, simple as that.

zlobnic and agra like this.
  5. Coconut

Coconut Avatar

Decay has changed for R26, and it is not going away, sorry. But all this, "I am taking my ball and leaving" is just plain foolish.

6. Tezro

Tezro Avatar

Well, than I'm one of the foolish guys. I don't have much time to play games any more. And even than, I play games at a rather irregular interval. I started with R32 after the final wipe, because I thought OK, I'm going to play this from time to time.

After being confused with the way skills were raised, I read the manual section on this. Then I found this thread ... and it confirmed what I understood from the manual. Yeah, as a very causal player I'm at a distinct disadvantage.

So, I'm taking my ball and I've left.
    So long and thanks for the fish.

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Before you rage quit maybe you should know that there is a maximum Skill Decay. You will lose the same amount of Skill Points dosen't matter if you are not playing one month or one year.
    And this amount isn't very high either.
    Actually I didn't play that much the last three releases and I didn't even notice the skill Decay.
    I hope that helps.
    If not *hands him some fish for the way out* enjoy.

Alley Oop likes this.
  8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

As a player who play casually in the last 3months prior wipes, I can assure you that skill decays did not affect me.

My character didn't have GM skills, but with adv level 60ish and offensive spell around 60-80 range, I can wreck multiple mobs on the 5 skull areas at the same time including mages and archers. I died several times while I was looking at other screens, but never once got hit by skill decay.

If anything skill decay only affect those who have like 20 GM+ . However, I have not seen any complains from someone who actually got gimped by skill decay that could not recover from it quickly. Most "the end of the world" complains seemed to root from worrying theoretically by reading what skill decay does.

Alley Oop likes this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Decay only build up 2days worth between the time of your last death. We need to read the game instructions and known issues on star's post.

I noticed that it said that Skill decay builds up 2 days since your last death. This was highlighted meaning this is a change from the last release. So basically if you never die you never get decay (that hasn't changed) however if I read this correctly it appears that no matter how long we play or do not play, decay doesn't go beyond 2 days. So ultimately decay only really has any effect at all on players who have skills up at level 150 or hundreds in everything including the innates. There is no way for a player to keep up with the decay with that many skills.

So @Tezro if you are a causal player skill decay will most certainly have almost zero effect on you. I know I've never noticed it and I had a whole bunch of level 80 skills over the past few releases. There are people who had 60 level 100 skills and still was able to manage it but they kept a pool of about 60k xp too. I don't think I will ever get to 60 grandmaster skills in 10 years and I might not want to. Although if it is possible I seriously doubt that a casual player would ever need to worry about it. Also GM skills are not superpowered, and they are not much more powerful than a level 80 skill it is more for show than it is for power. Level 80 is Master and it sucks up far less skill points than a GM skill.

getting from 80 to 100 is more skill points than getting from 0 to 80. Therefore maintaining a level 100 skill takes more xp pool for maintenance... and INT, DEX, and STR is like 10x the xp of other skills. Keep that in mind too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.