Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Smelting: An insulting waste of our time.

Discussion in 'Release 42 Feedback Forum' started by Waxillium, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I'd love for a Dev to smelt 4000 ore into 1000 ingots. What terrible game play. It doesn't "keep me playing the game". Surely not with any positivity.

This screams macro recorder
    https://www.jitbit.com/macro-recorder/

I dont use one because it's not allowed but damn I wish I could. Smelting is such a boring waste of time. I read my kindle with the sound on so I know 20 ingots are done.

I gather about 200 ore an hour on one account. Takes me 20 hours of game time to collect 4000 ore.

Please let me smelt the goddamn things in one batch if I have all the mats required. Ive already spent 20 hours playing the game (half the hours of someone who works full time for a week). Seriously who gives a $hit about bots on this one or me "being at my computer and engaged". Barf.

*not really angry but Port seems to respond to melodrama for some reason. I do think smelting is ultra lame. So is tanning.

Cordelayne, FrostII, Salix and 9 others like this.
  2. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

I definitely really dislike this. It is also an issue with selling and salvaging where it's very time consuming.
    At the very least, 100 should be the limit because 100 is the max durability of the tool. But given you're locked at 15 it's almost not worth having the indestructible tool.

Salix, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Kaffien like this.
  3. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I was ok with the "can't salvage beyond 15 items at a time" warning the first 1000 times but 1001 made my eyes bleed.

fonsvitae likes this.
  4. Bryweyh

Bryweyh Avatar

DIdn't you smelt ore one at a time in UO for skill gain? Smelting would be nice if u were able to use less ore to make an ingot at gm smelting and maybe scale how much a person can smelt/salvage based on their skill where 100 is the cap :p

Aldo and Kvow Triumvir like this.
  5. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Sure. When UO was the only game in town and didn't compete with XBox Playstation, cell phones etc. Players didn't have much of a choice back then and things were novel.

Would be nice to have a smelting skill that lets you

Decrease smelting time drastically.
    Decrease resources used.
    Increase yield.
    Increase batch size.

FrostII, Salix, Ahuaeynjgkxs and 3 others like this.
  6. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

I think the number of items you can smelt/tan whatever (beyond salvage, that should be capped so you don't inadvertently salvage everything you own--or implement a "do not sell/salvage" tag on items would be even better then you can increase the number as needed) should be determined based on your level in that skill. That way, a newbie won't accidentally make a million or something, but with practice, you know what you're doing and your own mistakes are your own fault. That would be a nice, tangible benefit for increasing level beyond what currently exists, which is almost meaningless IMO.

7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Your hours played in this game would argue differently.

So this thread is very similar to another thread going on right now...
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...roke-when-will-it-be-fixed.92172/#post-828438

Only in the other thread the person is saying it's a problem with supply of ore and availability to ore. Not that crafting is boring.

The actual problem however, is that we haven't found the right mix of player skill vs. character skill. Right now the game is still heavily favoring character skill for both combat and crafting. There's certainly a lot more player skill in the combat system, but it still leans heavy towards how powerful your character is.

I agree with you that smelting a ton of ore is boring (currently) and could use some design changes. But it's how we change this that's the tricky part. If we change it to be too much player skill, then less skillful players will get frustrated and they will quit because there's no doubt that even if they had all the time in the world they would never see more success. That's why we have the systems that we have, so that unskilled players always know that if they just put more time into it, they too will eventually be more successful. So my point is that whatever the solution is, we have to consider that fact.

8. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Solution, is to play the game and not craft.

Or, one could argue to wait for a completed game where there is more to do.
    You are not forced to craft.
    If you are using it earn IGG... much easier ways to get it.
    If you are using it for personal equipment... you don't need that much. (and yes I craft plate). Or, can buy from people who are not screaming from the roof tops with the IGG earned other ways.

What I'm basically saying is... if you don't enjoy something... don't do it. You're only punishing yourself.

PS: If you are doing it for RL income... o_O

9. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

The refining tree is an ignored placeholder that can't in any honesty be considered a "system".

FrostII and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  10. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

If there were a bunch of skills I could level to make this process better and I had not done that then I think this would be a fair statement.

As a level 95+ there is not a lot to do if you eliminate crafting from your diet. And crafting is all about the ore regardless of what you end up doing (with the exception of a few things but none of them get you armor and weps).

Don't play for RL income. Never even considered it.

FrostII and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

Of course.

I'm referring to the SYSTEM of crafting in general though. It's all boring. It's all time consuming. To break out smelting from the rest of that reality is a mistake.

Kvow Triumvir likes this.
  12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

but yet they went into persistence with not all the features done. :( The best thing that could happen is a total wipe after getting said systems up and running. That wont happen though because of ya know, RMT. We cannot piss of the RMT people.

13. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Fair. I was looking at the weakest link. Our Devs have a lot to do and the refining tree can't even be considered a polished turd of a skill set. Just a turd. The rest is passable for now.

Cordelayne and FrostII like this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

I totally agree that we need more skills in the refining tree. But as long as our crafting system is working on a model of "boring time spent" which it is...I don't see how making it easier to smelt (or perform other crafting skills) is going to be helpful to the overall economy.

I hope they add "player skill" mini-games to smelting and other areas of crafting/gathering.

Cordelayne and Kvow Triumvir like this.
  15. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    Let us smelt 100 ore at a time. Or make the recipe different so that a person can choose 100 ore / coal and a fresh ingot mold. Then hit smelt.
    Or smell 'entire' pile of ore if you have the right amount of coal and ingot molds etc.

Let us smelt as many items as we want or limit it to something like 50 or 100. Limiting to 15 is just plain silly as stated above. Then maybe change it so
    that if you smelt individually there's a chance at getting ore or ingots back. Kind of like how crafting individually has a chance at getting a +1.

16. Ameresta Trilon

Ameresta Trilon Avatar

I am a hoarder and when I finally get around to smelting thousands of ore I have no one to blame but myself. Is it boring, yes. If you choose to wait and refine anything in massive quantities that you then find to be boring that is your choice not the fault of the game. I completely agree that the crafting system needs attention. Waiting until you have thousands of ore, and then trying to say that your boredom while refining it all is somehow the game's fault is a bit unfair.

Lord Ravnos likes this.
  17. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

But the problem is if I want a new piece of armor I need to make about 20 pieces because 19 of them are going to break during masterworking. So why would I make them one at a time?

18. Ameresta Trilon

Ameresta Trilon Avatar

Sounds like a choice not a problem.

Onyx likes this.
  19. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

Agreed

20. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Agreed. It will be a problem when people choose to play something less devoted to monotony.

FrostII and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.