So that's what this game is

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oplek, Jun 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oplek

oplek Avatar

Over on another thread, Chris had some sayings. One bit jumped out at me (but this is off topic for that thread).

I've heard it said many times that SOTA isn't "a theme park". That's true. That's not necessarily even bad. But I do think it falls into another category. It's not a theme park. It's a fair.

Fishing, like dungeons, or brewing, or quests, or the obsidian trials, or decorating... or even the upcoming theatre system... they truly are conceptualized around being isolated from each other.

It's not that fishing ties into brewing, which ties into the cabalist sieges, which ties into player dungeons... they're all minigames that just happen to be packaged up together. People come in, stroll past the stalls... and maybe stops at one to spray water with a hose into the clown's mouth to make its head-balloon explode... and you get a prize!

But beyond that, nothing you did there mattered.

If the devs are going for a "fairgrounds" game, okay. I think a lot of us were waiting for something more meaningful and involved to manifest.

Fishing should have an impact on the world. It should be exhaustible. It (or a derivative like fish oil) should be a needed requirement for some other industry that can only be obtained through fishing. Groups ought to be battling for good fishing grounds (or seas).

I think that there quote puts a thumb on the differences in intended direction between the devs and many players.

2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

SOTA is a 'fishing fair', huh? Well, I'll just say this. Judging by volume of 'developer tracker' posts in response to fishing topics over the last year compared to other game features, indeed I am starting to feel that SOTA must be a fishing simulator and it is causing me to seriously tune out. While I have great respect for our fishermen, the game might benefit from shining the light on other features too. If fishing connects to them, great.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  3. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Like the idea of items like fish oil. What about getting Seaweed, Shellfish (with special Pearls, not only Black Pearl) ...
    Things for creating food or to sell ...

Agree: Story Episode 2, Maps, Quest / Journal overhaul.

I think, it's not that much of an effort to put in a few more items for fishing - also a daily quest for delivering (changing) fishes could be fine to earn a few gold pieces and xp (based on fish type and weight/length) ;)

4. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

There's a direction?

5. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Have to disagree

Plenty of systems tie in together

Fish - Cooking - PVE/PVP - Can also fish in dungeons
    - Dungeon - Fishing Dungeons - decorate dungeon with fish

Didn't even finish those lines
    Too many tie-ins to list

They def forget that these are interconnected when making changes tho lol

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  6. Olthadir

Olthadir Avatar

Don't forget dance parties.

Fishing and dance parties.

7. oplek

oplek Avatar

Astonishingly superficial tie-ins. But go ahead and continue missing the forest for the trees.

8. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Not missing anything just don't care enough to write out a long post

A lot of the examples you mentioned are already in-game

9. Jikininki

Jikininki Avatar

Sounds a bit like fishing in a pvp zone. Sorry but fishers are all ready trying to get the pvp zone removed from the fishing tournament. So doing anything more competitive with it will never happen. Unfortunately

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.