Soft Wipe for Episode #2 ? ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

If there is a wipe to access episode 2 content will we be able to claim refund for purchasing? A wipe was not listed when this first went on sale and the store description says "Upgrade your existing Episode 1 access". I don't consider a wipe and having to regrind 2 years of player advancement an "Upgrade"

Osiris3, Sole, Cianna and 13 others like this.
  2. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I think it is a necessary evil... but I hope they at least fix the quest system correctly for both EP1 and EP2, or else I don't feel there's a point trying to level the playing field for new players. The game will die without the quest system, after all, the story is advertised as having Tracy Hickman of all people involved! Lack of a decent quest system will kill our game (and is actively killing it now) faster than a soft wipe.

Feeyo likes this.
  3. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

A lot of people are coming up with nightmare scenarios in their heads based on a few words, and going nuts over it. Slow down and breathe a bit, we know from their agile development that we're not going to get an enormous dragon dropping that suddenly falls from the heavens.

I may have more like 20ish because I don't try to grind XP, but I'd rather have that than 100+ "wasted".

Anyhow, I look forward to seeing what the plan is, I think they'll come up with something unexpected that would be an actual answer to the eternal problem of power creep. I doubt it will be a wipe, but some mechanic that only applies to the new areas, and you'll be just the same in Novia/Hidden Vale.

They are obviously not going to do anything to deco items you already have, or simply delete gear items. This is clearly about the age-old problem of high-level characters in a new expansion area. The easy way was to just bump up levels on everything, and let all old content be a cakewalk. It's been something I've had a bit of concern about for a couple of years now about how they're going to handle it. The system we've got now certainly won't handle the usual "double the numbers" method.

Well whatever they've been doing so far doesn't seem to have worked.

...which is exactly what would happen if they simply doubled the numbers.

Where's your source that this is going to happen? While it may be possible that it will not be useful (or at least not be godlike) in a new area, they're not going to simply delete the items. I think they understand how stupid that would be.

At this point I don't think you can take much from a vague line like that from 5+ years ago, when it was still thought that single player offline would be a significant part of the demand for the game. What I heard last year (at SotaCon?) is that the Ep2 main story line will be more or less a sequel to the Ep1 story.

That's for sure, power creep is an age-old problem, but there's not much if any precedent on expanding a class-less game with individual skills that have no cap other than exponential XP costs. I'd like to see them come up with a good solution, so I'm not going to rage until I have a good idea what the plan is.

I was there while the FFXI level cap was raised from 75 to 99. Simply increasing the numbers only worked for it because there was already a hard cap, and old content did get trivialized. It helped deal with the later reduction in player base, but that's another whole topic irrelevant to this.

My guess is that it will be a new system left in place beside the old one, and old quests will be ported to it over a period of a few months before the old system is completely removed.

4. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I guess we'll have to wait for the "official" announcement of what they plan on doing. Not just listening to their suggestions. I'm curious about their plans.

Personally I think it's a mistake to soft wipe an MMO. After thousands of hours playing. Where is the motivation to level up, again. And the skills and weapons I've created. All gone? Doesn't make sense. I have a boat. And it's stocked with more than just plants and chairs :D

That's a lot of hard work over years. Perhaps wait until Ep5 is out and we can play through without any wipes :D

I dunno. This will be interesting...

Jaesun and Feeyo like this.
  5. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

The unfounded irrational panic is quite amazing.

[​IMG]

6. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

I also worked hard to learn how to play this game and to enjoy this game spending many many hours investing time and money.

Would most of us have spent so much time building our character, decorating our home and growing our towns if we had known that barely more than 1 year after the game release we would be asked to start over in this process? Would we have bought so much with the money that is so hard to earn in real life if we had known this. In real life we do have disappointments, changes, failures and losses and we continue in our struggle to live to a very old age. In this game life we were told from the start there were to be 5 episode not that there would be 5 stand alone games tied together into one title: Shroud of the Avatar.

Before persistence we were soft wiped every month and hard wiped every three months. All items we gave to another player went back to the account from which it started and our town had nothing in it which meant we started all over again every 3 months. Our character had to earn xp and skill all over again . We were told after persistence we would never have a complete wipe again.

If a soft wipe would take place and only 50 towns could move to the new land what will happen to our towns in ep 1 we have built? I truly love this game and I wanted it to flourish all the way through to the end of episode 5 with each episode expanding into a greater play experience where we could continue to play even long after ep5 was finished.

It is fun to have new adventures, new quests new monsters to fight but the greatest joy for me is our community. It is also the hardest thing to handle when part of our community leaves the game either by choice or by real life death. If each episode is a stand alone game that will be like saying hello to someone for maybe a year and then moving on to someone new. It will be like going to the store and buying a new piece of furniture knowing that that furniture would fall apart in one year and you would have to buy another one in a year. I doubt I would invest my hard earned money on a quality piece of furniture. It was like that before persistence we decorated our towns but once persistence happened we invested great time in fixing it the best we knew how because we knew then it would not be wiped. We invested in Seed Invest in our hope the game would succeed. We knew that what ever we did to help the game grow in time and money would be worth it when it was a success. We thought of SOTA as being One game made of 5 ep. and each ep being enriched and built upon the ep before. We invested time and money in learning how to fight monsters. We wanted to become skilled. Some of us knew we were not as skilled as another in the game but that is ok to me for we become better the longer we play and practice. No one is ever perfect and we all are different but we keep working. A wipe of our skills every new ep in SOTA would probably mean we would not play so often nor work so hard at learning and experiencing. I hope this is not the case but it is not as fun doing something if we know it will mean nothing after a year and very discouraging as well.

Sole, Cyin, Belladonna Rose and 6 others like this.
  7. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Not as amazing as some people's willingness to blindly give Port unquestioning support to any of their ideas or policies no matter how hair-brained or damaging they might be.

Which is one of the reasons for the game's less than impressive current health.

jmcclain, Cyin, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  8. oplek

oplek Avatar

Not to mention - this is feedback. They say "we're thinking about XYZ", and this is us saying "we'd rather not".

They do have a track record of making decisions without soliciting feedback. We're more informed of the decisions. Of course it's their game, but this is supposedly a community driven project, where we're expected to practically donate money out of the kindness of our own hearts, and maybe they'll throw in a previous reward that's been recolored.

Cyin, Diedrich, Sentinel2 and 2 others like this.
  9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I am sure that's what you wanted to read there. But that's not what he/she said.

10. Xkhan

Xkhan Avatar

I have to ask myself 'why' they would even consider this idea.

The only reason I can think of is they want their T1 -T4 lands to be looked at and adventured in. Without reward they are not going to drive people into zones they will not find challenging.
    If you make the zones adaptable to player levels then you remove the open world as one level 100 person in there would make the zone impossible for a level 10.
    Quests will draw some people into low level zones - but I can't imagine in the numbers they want to see.

I would continue to roll with these blessings. I never even knew about Middle Downs but now can run through it blindfolded. Put something in these zones that is attractive and they will come....

CatherineRose and Fister Magee like this.
  11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Soooo 5 Pages . .

Well over 75% negative to the "I'M DONE" not hard math;)

A few who question publicizing a "private thought" Not private at all:mad:

Some who thought is might not be bad:confused:

and a few who support Port with anything they do.:(

Lets cover a few real issues; Hours, 1000$ spent to get Ep. one and make it viable, is a player in eps two going to be able to go into Novia? interact with Eps 1 people? How are you going to keep separated Eps 2 and Eps 1. That is not game progression it is whole new game. The INSTANT you allow interaction you have another complete failure, as a player from Eps 1 will set up UT and bring an Eps 2 play;)er in and in 10 mintues 2 mill exp, 4 .6. 8. 10 . . . . Even if kep t separate we know the mevchanic and will just outpace any "New" player buy leaps a bounds, ZERO fix for balance Z E R O .

Are you trying to say an Ep 2 player cannot go to ep1 and visa versa?:eek::rolleyes:o_O

Now all that time and effort, I did not pay for Eps 2 - 5 to have to start all over in each episode, this was NEVER the idea of a P E R S I S T A N T world. :cool:

I am sorry but this idea at it core is just plain crazy. The logistics of it is utterly impossible and will create soo many problems if you even attempt to keep the servers together, the ONLY way this works is if you start Eps 2 and anybody who wants to play it creates a new char whit access to all the stuff you hade avail in your bank from Eps 1. ((good luck with people who sold items already, how do you handle that))

Sorry Ep 2 looks to be whole new game plain and simple, in the end it will mean stopping work on Ep 1 and ah well. If Port thinks it can support two games, that is exactly what it is, y7ou need to explain how.

12. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

As usual we shall probably have to agree to disagree on that ;)

FrostII likes this.
  13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Well it's clear to see what he/she has typed but i am not going to fight other peoples wars *shrugs* you are free to interpret into the posting wahtever you want.

14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Which idea. You literally know NOTHING about "the idea" except a few random thoughts of Atos.
    Stop pretending you even remotly know what they are up to.
    All you are doing is speculating. Which is cool and froody but do not try to sell it as facts.
    If you want to do something useful with your random rage posts try to get DETAILS out of Atos and Chris.

Lord Trady of Blix and Elwyn like this.
  15. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Typed and implied that everyone who were expressing theirs concerns somehow have invalid opinions whereas clearly they do not as this intended course of action came straight from the Lead Programmers mouth.

To suggest that everyone who is expressing concerns is acting hysterically and with no basis is disingenuous at best.

K1000 likes this.
  16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Are you trying to tell me the post is full of reasonable and calm people calmly discussing the resonablre initial post of the OP?
    If your answer is yes then we have a very different understanding of calm and reasonable.
    Weins wanted to create the next big drama. And we are all helping him.

17. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

WHAT!? Its not the same guy?? ;p

18. Floors

Floors Avatar

That explains it. Atos is Chris’ evil twin, and he started this rumor. Makes perfect sense now.

This thread is really enjoyable, lots of great ideas and questioning about future of game.

i do not see a lot of reflection on what kind of a game it will be if everyone is levelled to the gills for new players tho. Or how to solve it. Just a lot of “my levels, my money, my things” panic.

its a game folks; if we have to re level we will. Its not that hard on an exponential curve system anyhow, alot of the current levelling isnt effective anyway, oh look, my skill lasts 1 more second or does 1 more point of damage at level 180 !!

19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I’m not panicked I’ll wait for any official comment I will be shocked if there is a wipe tbh esp since when r32 launched ds and lord British both said there would be no more wipes.

The one question I’d have is the people who paid for power leveling get a refund? /smirk Mac’s gonna be pissed :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  20. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Quick Lesson some of you need to learn..

Step one - Left click on the name of the Avatar under their Picture.

2 on new window on right hand side is an Option "Ignore" - Click it

3 When they post you will only see that they posted not the content.

Since you do not care for the content leave hidden.

If you want to read, "Show Ignored"

Now replies are up to you but should constructive, or criticizing but with support and with reasoning, not just a comment that is trolling and does nothing for you, the respondent, or the forums.

A few need to practice this often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.