Software to design POTs?

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Isabel Ayin, Jul 28, 2023.

1. Isabel Ayin

Isabel Ayin Avatar

While I get my template change I'm trying to plan my POT. I have two methods, and both equally bad.
    The first, draw it by hand. Horrible, I draw like a five-year-old child and I am not aware of the measurements.
    The other method is to use photoshop, placing the plots on the template that I have downloaded from the web. As for measurements, it is totally reliable because in the template there are rectangles indicating the size of each plot. But this means creating lots of layers for walls and walls and having to click on each one to move them.

Has anyone thought of creating software for this or is there something similar that I can download from somewhere?

2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

I mocked up my town with https://www.drawio.com/ Started with the template image from https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=59140 as the background and used the image below to guide me for sizing the lots.
    [​IMG]

Getting the lot size even close is very difficult. But, it did help me get a reasonable idea of how many of a given lot size I could fit in an area of the town

Anpu and Isabel Ayin like this.
  3. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

Also, there's always QA. Often a new town will show up there first. As long as you avoid much deco, I have found it helpful to throw a bunch of lot markers up and play with positioning.

Anpu and Isabel Ayin like this.
  4. Isabel Ayin

Isabel Ayin Avatar

Thank you both for the ideas!

Anpu likes this.
  5. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

i did a similar method and it worked pretty well. the biggest issue i ran in to was not knowing _if_ a plot could be placed there due to terrain limitations so adjustments to the plan had to be made accordingly.

Isabel Ayin likes this.
  6. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

The maps you receive when you get your POT show all the housing spaces for each Biome.

[​IMG]

7. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

oh thats great to know! i am but a humble steward but knowing those exist is great for planning :)

Isabel Ayin and jrs99 like this.
  8. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

they're also at booksellers

9. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

A design app might be cool. But I found that visiting POTs to visually see what was working and what not vs my own designs was most helpful before building. The designs were on paper, the visuals were 3D.

Regards,
    Lord Beaumaris
    Town of Caladruin

Isabel Ayin likes this.
  10. Isabel Ayin

Isabel Ayin Avatar

I meant to do something like that. I'm finally doing it with photoshop. The elements are not completely centered, and the names are in Spanish, but you can get an idea.
    Although since my form is still locked, I haven't been able to request the template change yet, so until I have the island, I can change my mind a thousand times.

[​IMG]

Anpu and Beaumaris like this.