some thoughts on fleshing out skills

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Aarion, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aarion

Aarion Avatar

I am enjoying the card deck skill system, but it seems a little insubstantial to me. I miss the days in any game where the main way to advance in it is to actually use the skill, and i would love to see a return to that in Shroud.

That said, has there been thought given to combining the current skill system with the original ultima online version? IE: you go out and beat on wolves for a while, and horray! You're level 8. You've tried oout a few different weapons, so your weapon skills Have only gone up to around 10 each. Your tactics, however, is now 23. You decide to go check the skill trainer, and find that you can't spend any points on weapon abilities yet, as the first ones require 15 skill with the weapon to learn. However, tactics is high enough to buy some ranks in Healthy!

I'd also like to see the return of titles like 'grandmaster blacksmith' that one earned as their skills advanced. I know it was only flavor, but it was always awesome to feel the glow of success after months of working a skill to GM

2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

First off, welcome to the community!

There will be a little of that in SotA that combat/adventuring gives you levels and skill points to invest in your combat skill trees. Crafting will give you points to invest in crafting trees (not fully implemented). And I believe they are eventually adding PvP trees as well.

3. smack

smack Avatar

Welcome! They have not yet ruled out a use-based system, but the current implementation is XP/level based to earn skill points. It's unknown if grandmaster type titles will be implemented though.

Keira OFaolain likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.