Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Some thoughts on the various scenes in R19

Discussion in 'Release 19 Feedback' started by jschoice, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I have just come back to SotA after taking some time away as I was getting burnt out with playing through each release. The last time I played significantly was maybe Release 10. S0 coming back now I found that I am enjoying the game a whole lot more. In fact I significant upgraded my pledge because I like how things are going although I acknowledge there is a long way to go. I would like to suggest some things that I hope they do might address in the future.

I think the scenes need some work. The graphics have improved so much and they look gorgeous. I have a problem with the over all design. I am level 30ish and I have explored the vast majority of the scenes as I like to explore. Currently it seems like the set up is the same. You basically zone in to a scene and there are 3 types of spawns in a scene each clustered in a particular area of the scene. Not that bad of a design except I noticed that the mobs were all the same level. I would like to see this changed in some way. Either the 3 types of mobs should very significantly in level or based on the alignment of stars the scenes become harder. One of the things I enjoyed and one of the things Lord British and company prides theirself in is they want people to return to areas. In other games I would visit areas as part of my leveling only to never to return. As of now, once I do a dungeon area in SotA, I have no purpose to return unless there are some decent resources. I so much enjoyed the dungeon design in UO where the deeper you went the harder the mobs got. I would go to those dungeons over and over again because there was always something to do from a newer player to a "7 times" GM player. Right now, I have no real reason to go to certain areas other then to gather resources with no fear because any mob in the area can be one shot killed at my level.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

See what they've done in the Crag mines. Level 1 and 2 have thugs that are pretty easy to kill. The ghosts on L3 are harder. And the fights on L4 - air, fire, and earth elementals - is harder yet again.

Are you going to see this in most scenes. Probably not.

jschoice and Chatele like this.
  3. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I understand that and I have not made it to that area yet but the different levels is exactly what I was looking for. A dynamic event that happens because of something that happens in the world or because the stars align in a random scene with a tough boss mob would still be a nice touch.

4. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Dynamic spawner may be your solution.

Basically "clusters" of mob respawn dynamically across the scene, still following the scene biome (e.g. no crocodiles in desert or scorpions in swamps). And the same for resource nodes.

Only a fraction of the scenes has been converted to dynamic spawner. Northern Grunvald Barrens should be around your level to tackle: go there and see how you "feel" it.

jschoice likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.