SotA Map for Linux

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Aiyarree, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

So I did a small test with libcef and created a simple desktop application spawning a libcef browser with SotAMap.
    https://streamable.com/uv6co
    More to come..

2. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Could we have a chat on about how you have been compiling the plugin? It should not take that long and nor do you need a heavy duty memory machine to build.
    I took the precompiled CEF binary system, and compiled my plugin with cmake against the binary system and this took about 2 minutes to compile.
    It does need some hacking to the CMakeLists.txt, but nothing really impressive though.

Step 1. Download: http://opensource.spotify.com/cefbuilds/cef_binary_3.3359.1774.gd49d25f_linux64.tar.bz2
    Step 2. Extract it.
    Step 3. Change the CMakeLists.txt of your plugin and add at the top:

Code:
    cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.11)
    set(CEF_ROOT "/home/feeyo/Downloads/cef_binary_3.3359.1774.gd49d25f_linux64")
    set(CMAKE_MODULE_PATH ${CMAKE_MODULE_PATH} "${CEF_ROOT}/cmake")
    find_package(CEF REQUIRED)
    # Include the libcef_dll_wrapper target.
    add_subdirectory(${CEF_LIBCEF_DLL_WRAPPER_PATH} libcef_dll_wrapper)

Change the path of: set(CEF_ROOT to your extracted directory.
    Step 4. In your plugin directory create a directory "build" and then open a terminal and enter:
    Code:
    cmake ..
    Step 5. All the files needed for the plugin are in your build/Release/ directory.

For the plugin to work correctly you will need all those files. I am sure some are not critical but just to be sure include them. Without the needed files the plugin (CEF application) will just crash.

3. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

The plugin we use does not use a precompiled binary. Due to some issues with Unity already having some sort of CEF backend you have to inject some code into the CEF source for things to work.

4. AvatarGG

Any update on the Map for Linux? Several months have passed since the Release but we Linux users are still waiting for the map :(

Arcanoxer likes this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I've totally given up on this; I don't think it'll ever happen.

6. Floors

Floors Avatar

Linux isn't evne on the latest version of Unity right now. It's just not a great platform for gaming, unfortunately.

This is actually one of the only games i can play on my Mac, which also is not a great gaming platform. But at least it has Metal, which is supported by Unity and helps.

I use PS4 Pro for other games.

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is absolutely untrue. The only problem with it is people thinking that it's somehow sub-par. It actually performs better than Windows in almost every respect. In fact, SotA previously performed better on Linux until bugs were introduced into Unity that prevented Portalarium from upgrading to the latest version. The specific bug is not inherent in Linux but is specifically a Unity shortcoming.

[edit] BTW, PS4 uses a BSD derivative. That means they're using OpenGL and possibly Vulkan.

Arcanoxer and Feeyo like this.
  8. Floors

Floors Avatar

Performing better than windows isn't that hard to do. Unfortunately, the graphics drivers on Windows are way better than just about every other platform. I wish it wasnt' true, but it is true.

It's too bad that SoTa doesn't play as well on Linux, but if you have a tiny userbase and only a fraction of that tiny userbase uses linux to play it, you have to kinda take your lumps.

And you know, if it's just a Unity bug, it also shows that Unity does not prioritze Linux for gaming. Hence... not a good platform. 100 percent full circle !

I rememeber that SoTa definately got better when they got Metal support into unity than when we were using OpenGL. Just anecdotal evidence on my part. The game is still pretty pokey at times, like sub 24 frames pokey.

You have to admit, few games support Linux. Having a game support all 3 platforms is pretty rare. There's a ton of steam games I have that I can only play in Boot Camp.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Nvidia uses the same driver core on Windows that it does on Linux.

It actually does play well on Linux and, as I said before, it performed better up until they upgraded Unity for Windows and Mac but not for Linux.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is unfortunate because they market Unity as being a cross platform engine.

Again, tools like Unity and Unreal Engine are supposed to make that possible.

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

Glad to hear it, friend. Enjoy your gaming.

Barugon likes this.
  12. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Actually the only + point Windows has, is the DirectX API. Any OpenGL Windows VS GNU/Linux benchmark will be won my GNU/Linux.
    Also to note, even OpenGL will out perform any directx game. And even much better with native vulkan.
    The problem is that OpenGL is harder to program, and because most games are tailored for Microsoft, the developers just use directx because its easier.
    It has nothing to do with the GPU drivers..

Jaesun and Sentinel2 like this.
  13. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    Hopefully we get maps soon and upgraded unity for Linux I was rather enjoying it in Linux.

Barugon likes this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yeah, this isn't true either. Vulkan is more difficult to deal with but is on the same level as DX12 and metal. DX11 and OpenGL are about the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.