SOTA on a Threadripper

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Superbitsandbob, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

Anyone playing SotA using an AMD Threadripper CPU, either a 12 or 16 core one?

Had any issues? Cheers!

2. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I think @Barugon is playing on a Threadipper. What issues are you talking about?

Barugon likes this.
  3. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

Windows and some games seem to play funny sometimes with high cores (although generally the 2990x and 2970x). As SotA uses a modern game engine I am not expecting any issues but wanted to know in advance before I do some PC upgrading.

4. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

You could also disable Simultaneous Multi Threading (SMT) in your BIOS if you are having issues. For some games it improves performance a lot with that disabled.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I havea Ryzen 7 that has 8 cores (16 logical processors). I have SMT turned off though.

Feeyo likes this.
  6. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

OK thanks for the reply. I think you can turn a Threadripper into a Ryzen with the Ryzen Master software so there is always that if there is a problem.

7. Schneider DragonFang

Schneider DragonFang Avatar

Blood Bay,Brittany Fields,Moonglade & Rifts End
    I use a 1950x threadripper, the most significant issue I have seen is the fps in game running on this setup. I will be lucky to pull 30 fps in 3840x2160 on the overland map and a lot of times in the single digits in POTS and npc towns.
    CPU: 1950x Threadripper
    Ram: 32 gig ddr4 corsair dominator
    GPU: 2 1080 evga FTW hybrid in sli
    HD: 1 tb Samsung m2 drive

The biggest change you can make would be to open task manager while client is running and going to details and set the affinity on the sota client, limit how many threads/cores are allowed to be used on the client. For me 16 cores = 32 threads, so I limit my client to 16 cpus. Doing this I can see an increase of 10-15 fps in game, even more so if you have shadows turned off.

As it's built now shroud won't take advantage of a threadripper or a sli configuration.
    Unless you intend to modify your own video drivers to force sli to enable while shroud runs.