SOTA's Target Audience is too broad.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Poor game design, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Oddly enough.. just before that video had popped up I had suggested that movie for next month's "movie night". Then BAM.. there it is.. not once.. but twice!

Jakdaw Foxlauden likes this.
  2. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

My group and i begin Rise of Tiamat. We finished the Hoard of the Dragon Queen saturday night. EPIC !!!!!

So this game need more Open PvP -LooT to attract more players.

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think it needs more content period....open pvp in an empty world is still combat in an empty world.

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I agree with you, but that's my case against single player.

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Note the aggressive nature of the PVP bloodthirsty drowns out the calm voices of the crafters, questers and role-players to the point where every thread about content turns into a PVP thread lol

6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

*raises a glass to toast to this statement*

7. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

*Looks at the PvP Forum sign hanging over the thread*

Hmmmmmmmm

Filthy Peasant likes this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

I don't think passionate responses or conversations are monopolized by people that like pvp. The problem many don't seem to understand is that pvp is supposed to be integrated into crafting, questing, and roleplaying. There shouldn't be conversations where all those things don't intersect. That's why making an MMO is so complicated.

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Ya, its kind of deceiving at how this thread has evolved hehe, you are correct though!

10. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Wasn't exclusively directed at this thread, though it is relevant to the threads title.

Completely agree that the three need each other, you have to admit though that one of these things is louder than the others lol. Don't misunderstand me, i am a PVP'er as well as a crafter, quester/explorer, writer, RP'er, PVE'er, in-game opiate dealer and general care-bear.

11. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

It just seems PvP is more vocal is because we have a core group that keep talking about SOTA and we end up going in circles more often then not.

I rarely read anything outside of the PvP threads. I like the people in here (and also like to dislike some others), though I been pretty quiet for a few months now.

If the PvP forum wants to have forum PvP then visitors cant really get uppity so long as we dont derail threads in other parts of the forum...

12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

You completely misunderstand both the intent of my post and the nature of balanced discussion. And PVP derails more threads than avalanches derail trains. It was an observation, not an uppity complaint.

13. Drocis the Devious

Because this thread was originally intended to be inclusive of not just a PVP discussion but other broadly based mechanics, I originally posted it in the Town Square General Forum. After a few days, all we were talking about was PVP, and a mod or dev moved it here. I don't subscribe to the black and white world that talking only about pvp means the conversation belongs here, but whatever I don't run the forums.

Personally, I think PVP has gotten the shaft. I don't see much development around it, and if it weren't for people (mostly me) yelling that pvp development should be started immediately and in conjunction with all the other core systems, it might never have seen the light of day (at one time it was pushed back all the way to November before it was even going to be started, at one point).

The fact is, this is a small team and over the last year they've proven that they don't have the bandwidth to work on more than one core system at a time (either Crafting, Housing, Combat and PVP). Oh yeah, don't forget about Lore and Questing, even though the devs really haven't named that as a core system (although I'm sure that has been an oversight and not intentional).

My concern would be that we're going to end up with one heck of a housing system and a pretty solid crafting system, and an ok combat system (for pve), a horrible combat system (for PVP) and lore and questing are going to be all over the map. That's what my experience with following this game tells me right now. It's also why I've made posts titled "You need to hire more people".

To be perfectly clear, I think the devs are working as hard as they possibly can. They're short staffed, could use more money, and have very aggressive goals and high expectations. This seems to be turning into a recipe for bad PVP.

I don't think that should happen. I think PVP should be as dynamic and interesting as the rest of the game.

14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well, first off, when I view the forums I don't go into each subsection abd look at the new comments, I hit new threads at the top and don't really pay attention to what forums it is in if I am interested in the topic. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in doing that. Why it is an issue to anyone is politics.

Secondly, the game has been solely focued on PVP for at least 4 months now....to the point everything else is put on hold not really worked on...everything is being balanced for that elusive pvp balance that is almost impossible to achieve. I my beliefe, all the subsets of the game(housing, crafting, pvp, combat etc...) should all be in support of the lore and questing of the game ssince basically they are facets to achieve what you want in game. I get the distinct impression that people want to change the focus of the game to more of an original ultima online feel...with pvp as a very strong focus for the game. As far as I understood the bulletpoints from the kickstarter it wasn't listed as a driving force. These opinions are what i got from it, doesn't make me 100% right just what I believe.

15. Drocis the Devious

rune_74, your perception is incorrect. Please let me explain.

It is true that the first month PVP was introduced, everything else got put on hold. But since then, almost nothing has happened (very marginal last minute stuff). Even Chris has said this is true because of unexpected bugs and shuffling of resources.

PVP, simply hasn't been addressed in a meaningful way in a long time, months.

But to your point, many other things haven't been addressed either. Which is completely true. This is what I'm saying, if the dev team is working on one thing, they don't have the bandwidth to work on anything else. Currently they seem to be working a lot on new scenes and bugs. Which by the way was the whole reason I was asking for PVP to start development so that it wouldn't get pushed back so far that it would never get into the game!

It's all about competing resources and right now the clear winner is Housing. If we look at R14, we can clearly see that the devs have put most of their resources into getting banks and pledge rewards working correctly. There's nothing wrong with that, it has to be done. But what they haven't been able to do is taking on big scale functionality like that and also work on the other core systems. They just don't have the manpower.

16. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

If anything are underdeveloped so must that be crafting. Crafting isn't even in the game yet, just a placeholder in at the moment.

17. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

Hm, when I connected to the Ultima Online beta a loong time ago it certainly wasn't for pvp.
    Neither was it for my friends.
    So not all UO players were pvp'ers or found the pvp parts of it interesting.

In regards to SotA, it uses Unity.
    Are there any good or well made FPS or online FPS games that uses this engine, preferably not indie?
    Wasteland 2 uses Unity, but that isn't really what I would call a fast paced FPS.

18. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

http://superhotgame.com/
    https://www.rumblegames.com/ballistic
    http://hitman.com/announcing-hitman-sniper/
    http://www.pyroclasticgames.com/#!games/cbzr
    http://www.dejobaan.com/drunken/
    http://www.deadlock-game.com/
    http://www.assaultandroidcactus.com/
    http://www.madfingergames.com/
    http://playrust.com/

19. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

Thanks for the list enderandrew.
    The only one I recognized was Rust. I didn't know it was Unity-based, and that one is also in development like SotA.

The one I found to be hope-inspiring for Unity and SotA was Ballistic, an online browser-based multiplayer first person shooter.
    Not my type of game, but I watched this gameplay-footage below, and it seemed fast paced and responsive.
    The maps in Ballistic are much smaller than the ones in SotA and max players seemed to be 9 vs 9 = 18 per map / instance.
    That might help the game and engine achieve responsiveness, but that is me guessing since I'm only a picky player of games, not a maker of games. :cool:

Link to Ballistic gameplay video if anyone is interested:

Tahru likes this.
  20. Skidd Vortex

Skidd Vortex Avatar

Why do you believe this? There are other, better, PvP games out there.
    I think crafting will also be a draw. I think it will appeal to an older crowd that leisurely enjoys crafting and doesn't really enjoy the PvP.

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.