Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Sound API Causing Game Stuttering/Hard Crashes

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns & Player Housing' started by Rowell, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

1. Title: Sound API Causing Game Stuttering/Hard Crashes
    2. Reproduction Rate: No specific way to reproduce (sorry)
    3. Blocker? Yes
    4. Details: This has been a problem for well over a year now, and I've finally narrowed it down to the sound. The problem is that sometimes when a sound is played by the game (could be a combat grunt, or a bird in the environment chirping, or a wolf barking, or sound from crafting, or opening bags), it can crash my system. The last sound to play will short-loop / buzz until I hard reset my computer. At first I thought it was a network issue (in friends or full multiplayer mode, I would crash more quickly than if I were playing in solo online mode). On a whim, I turned the Master Volume all the way down, and I haven't crashed yet. On another system, where I would experience a crash on my original PC, I notice the game stutters the sound for a second and everything freezes, but the game recovers.
    5. Steps to Reproduce: Not able to reproduce. It happens randomly.
    6. User Specs: Intel I7 Quadcore, 32gb RAM, GTX 980M 8GB, 1TB SSD, 1 TB HDD, Windows 10, RealTek HD Audio.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  2. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

I concure and have some issues with sound stuttering too and that's the time where i fully restart the client because other things happen alot (like enemys with no nameplate/healthbar, more soundissues, longer loading times etc) and the game has llots of RAM usage then >11GB but still no COD after the last updates (before the game crashed on scene changes to to heavy RAM usage >14GB but the sound stuttering was there too beforehand...so i got weary and restart the client after hearing stuttering sounds)

I have 2 set of loudspeakers attached - my headphones and my surround sound loudspeakers (the game only uses the loudspeakers, but netherrtheless the headphones are still online)
    the sorround system on the motherboards realtek HD Audio-chip and the Headphone on the USB-Connection (Turtle Beach Z60 Chat and Game Audio - used mostly for Teamspeak)

and i am playing with the steam overlay active

also the Radio annd Phonograph sound setttings are nearly unusable because at 2 ticks above the off-point the sound is too loud

Volume settings:
    MAster ~60%
    Music 0%
    SFX 30%
    UI 100%
    Instruments 70%
    Phonograph and Radio one tick off on 0%

10/17/2017 8:21 PM
    Title: Sound stuttering with heavy RAM usage
    Reproduction Rate:100%
    Blocker?need to restart game sometimes and rarely restart the PC to clear all RAM-Usage :(
    Details:
    see above
    Steps to Reproduce:
    for me play a very long time (2hours or more with lots of scene-changes till getting over 11-13GB of RAM Usage and hear stuttering sounds e.g. at about >50% of scene loading screen

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8) System RAM: 32710
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 GPU RAM: 4009
    SotA.EarlyAccess.LIVE.Win.64.672.Date.10.04.17

Not relevant info because new client start:
    Area: POT_swamp_metropolis_01a_template/Veritas Sanctuary
    Area Display Name: Veritas Sanctuary
    Loc: (140.1, 38.2, 307.5)
    Debug: UE9UX3N3YW1wX21ldHJvcG9saXNfMDFhX3RlbXBsYXRlfFZlcml0YXMgU2FuY3R1YXJ5fCgxNDAuMDg0LCAzOC4xODQsIDMwNy40NTMpfCgwLCAtMC4zLCAwLCAwLjk1NCl8MzI1LjA4Njl8MTB8MS4yNQ==

3. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Apologies. I added this Bug Report to the wrong forum (I was updating a previous bug I had entered).
    This Bug should be in the forum"Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)" forum.

Can a moderator move this bug to the proper forum, please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.