Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Sounds, ambience and dampening

Discussion in 'Release 3 Feedback' started by Bodhbh Dearg, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I appreciate the game is still pre-alpha, but for me the ambient sounds need a lot of tweaking to not spoil my experience/immersion...

If I hear the sea waves standing on the bridge to a lighthouse that feels correct.
    If I still hear them just as loud inside, with the door closed, it starts to distract.
    If I still hear them inside, in the center of the first floor, with all doors closed, it irritates...

The same goes for fire, like in the lighthouse, braziers and torches... They shouldn't all sound as harsh and loud... A torch is hardly audible, the huge fire in the lighthouse very audible. Also a sound like that dies off (dampens) much quicker. And if I am standing outside a house, where a brazier or torch is inside, I should not be able to hear it at all!

Just my 2 coppers...

Time Lord likes this.
  2. selbie

selbie Avatar

I agree with this. I makes a huge difference when sounds are responsive in that way.

As a supplement to this, I noticed that even in huge crowds of people, everything was dead quiet. Now I know this is a pre-alpha game state, but I think it would be a cool idea to include a "crowd noise" for large groups of people so that it feels more lively. You could dynamically scale the intensity of the noise relative to the size of the crowd too. So with maybe 10 players, the sound would just be a dull chatter, but with 50 players it should sound like everyone is raising their voices (ie. your typical crowded pub).

Bodhbh Deargh likes this.
  3. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

The one that kills me is the Tesla Tower. I hope property near those things is going to be cheaper than elsewhere in town, geeze.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.