Speaking of random events ....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Toular, Dec 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toular

Toular Avatar

Ok, so no one was speaking about random events ... but, well here's one.

Running around in the overworld when suddenly, I get this message:
    Try to hit a nearby target dummy with "Searing Ray" by pressing the '1' key.
    It is a combat spell, so your weapon will need to be drawn. You can draw and sheathe your weapon using the 'Z' key.

Also, that showed up on screen. Rather annoying - particularly since I've been using Searing Ray for nearly two years with this character.

I did not even touch my keyboard when it appeared.

2. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Hmm. Ever since they removed the Isle of Storms from the NUE, those tutorial messages have been popping up at inappropriate times and places. But I haven't heard of one showing up for an older character before! Except.... any chance you were playing offline? Trying to start a new game offline (even if you end up going back to the old one) will reset all the tutorial crap for all characters on the same computer. I think it even affected my online characters, although I don't remember for sure.

3. Toular

Toular Avatar

I guess it could be that ... I did create an offline character the other day to test the character customization sliders. Ended up playing that character for an hour ... just because.

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yeah these tutorial messages will unfortunately show up when you make a new character. Even when you switch to a different character.

5. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

@Sannio -- I'm pretty sure I bugged this back over the summer, but just a gentle reminder. (I'm really looking forward to that TICK-TOCK schedule.)

6. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Thanks for the report! Issue #66164

This message appears when you first equip the "newbie" sword from the starting scenes. I'm assuming you triggered it by equipping that sword for the first time while you were on Novia. I'll add a suggestion for the programmer who will handle this to block this message if the character is out of the starting scenes.

Numa, Anpu and Bedawyn like this.
  7. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

I'm not sure that would really help. It is possible for a real newbie player to wander out of Solace Bridge Outskirts into Novia before they "ought" to, when they really still need the center-screen tips. And the problem isn't limited to that particular message. It's also exacerbated by the text often being written for specific situations and locations that are not present when the message actually appears (like the "nearby training dummy" when there are no dummies nearby). The problem isn't a particular message -- it's the tip-status being saved per-computer instead of per-character.

8. Toular

Toular Avatar

It must be tied to the newbie bow too ... I never equipped a sword.

Sannio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.