Speculator NPC in the bank.

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Astirian, Sep 22, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Can we get a speculator NPC in the bank? He could give us the average or median prices for the prices of things players have bought from other players. Maybe it's a week old to simulate the time it would take for his or her business associates to gather the data around Novia...

It would make pricing stuff a lot easier.

2. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Hmmm, I'm not sure about this one. It's a but 'gamey' to me (just my opinion), and is a good example of where QOL clashes with over simplification and the community ends at loggerheads again.

I craft and sell a lot and setting prices is a challenge. I have to do a fair bit of research initially for a new sales line, but after a short wander looking at other vendors prices is fairly easy to identify a 'ball park' price .

What is clearly more important after that stage is whether it sells, which (having 3 vendors) is hugely dependent on location and passing trade and whether you're lucky enough to have a tax free vendor or not.

Monitoring sales as I do, I often have to tweak to get the 'sweet spot' at which point I get a run of sales. It may then go quiet again and I have to shave prices again. Often, I've set a price wrong, way too low, and I get a rush of sames wiping out my stock and its pretty obvious I've given folks a bargain! On occasion I've been lucky too and picked up stuff at a very low price either because the player has under sold or (as I also do) made a large batch to sell excess stock of materials.

So my point is, to me this price setting and tweaking of prices by location to get sales is part of the game, and an interesting challenge. In BDO, a game I have a huge amount of time for, one thing I do not like is that it gives you a rolling high-low price and suggests a mean selling price. Yes it's easy, yes it's convenient, but it's pretty brain dead stuff, and I also often wonder how folks get bargains or the occasional screw :) in such a system and u would imagine it also flattens the market. They do have a cool auction system though.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  3. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Jaesun and Astirian like this.
  4. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Yeah I've been using that and the BMC site but it breaks my immersion a bit, I'd rather have the same functionality but in-game you know? Steevo makes some fair points though.

Steevodeevo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.